Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to Cape Town

• 08-01-2019 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

On a plane obviously...

Aside from costs which vary by airline, which airline would people recommend from an "economy" seat perspective:

KLM - Dublin/Ams/Capetown
    QATAR - Dublin/Doha/Capetown
    BA - Dublin/Heathrow/Capetown
    Turkish - Dublin/Istanbul/Capetown
    Emirates - Dublin/Dubai/Capetown
    Air France- Dublin/CDG/Capetown
    Lufthansa - Dublin/CDG/Capetown

Again, its really about economy leg room/quality of service from the airline.

I believe most of the planes are either 777's or 787's

Thanks,
    Muppet Man

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Muppet Man wrote: »
    On a plane obviously...

Aside from costs which vary by airline, which airline would people recommend from an "economy" seat perspective:

KLM - Dublin/Ams/Capetown
    QATAR - Dublin/Doha/Capetown
    BA - Dublin/Heathrow/Capetown
    Turkish - Dublin/Istanbul/Capetown
    Emirates - Dublin/Dubai/Capetown
    Air France- Dublin/CDG/Capetown
    Lufthansa - Dublin/CDG/Capetown

Again, its really about economy leg room/quality of service from the airline.

I believe most of the planes are either 777's or 787's

Thanks,
    Muppet Man

Neither of the middle East airlines. Adds a significant length of unnecessary time to the journey. Did it with Emirates in the spring, never again! I'd go KLM of that lot, not least because Schipol is a million times more pleasant to transit through than CDG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Id go via AMS or LHR.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I travelled with Qatar and while it is a longer journey, it had a shorter layover (and was cheaper) than transiting through Europe. Also the plan and flight to Doha was amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Do Virgin not fly from Heathrow any more. I flew with them from Capetown 11 years ago and it was a very comfortable flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Yes avoid middle east connections as you are adding extra time to journey.

Economy on most of the major European carriers is much of a muchness to be honest. I personally like Frankfurt and Zurich airports given their proximity to those particular cities and excellent public transportation, giving you option to stay night before long flight

I flew Frankfurt to Cape Town in 2017 with Condor. It was fine but a little more budget than say Lufthansa as they charge you for entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I found when we flew that the European journeys tended to require a very early morning flight (which for me usually means I never sleep the night before) in order to make the second flight comfortably from either AMS or FRA.
    We flew Emirates and their planes have 2-4-2 layout which is great if you're a couple and the layover wasn't very long either. I wouldn't discount the middle eastern carriers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

BA have 2 evening flights daily and with regular connections for LHR from DUB, SNN and CRK the layover time should be minimal.
    They use a 744 on the route which would also be a plus for me!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I found when we flew that the European journeys tended to require a very early morning flight (which for me usually means I never sleep the night before) in order to make the second flight comfortably from either AMS or FRA.
    We flew Emirates and their planes have 2-4-2 layout which is great if you're a couple and the layover wasn't very long either. I wouldn't discount the middle eastern carriers.

Emirates have 3-4-3 in Economy. It's like a sardine can on a 777.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Flew economy on Turkish to Cape Town two years ago - planes were excellent. Layover in Istanbul was fine though we did have a short landing in Durban on the outward leg as well. As a rather tall person, leg room is always an issue but I thought they were ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Emirates have 3-4-3 in Economy. It's like a sardine can on a 777.

Maybe it's changed or maybe towards the back of the plane they change to a 2-4-2 but that was certainly the case on the plane I was on, don't think you were on my plane, were you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Given that all economy classes are probably more or less equal in terms of leg room and being 6'3" , we've decided to go with the "least amount of time in a plane" option, which is KLMs DUB/AMS/CPT.

CDG would have been equivalent, but I despise CDG and the layover was slightly longer. schiphol is one of the better airports that I've been to.

Thx for the replies everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Given that all economy classes are probably more or less equal in terms of leg room and being 6'3" , we've decided to go with the "least amount of time in a plane" option, which is KLMs DUB/AMS/CPT.

CDG would have been equivalent, but I despise CDG and the layover was slightly longer. schiphol is one of the better airports that I've been to.

Thx for the replies everyone.

Good choice I'd say.

Advertisement