Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French author, 50, says he's incapable of loving a woman of 50

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

DS86DS wrote: »
    I'm not a troll. It's not my fault that men find older women unattractive. The French guy in the article was just been honest about it.
    Not that that's what people are referring to as the trolling of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

*being

The Grammar Nazis are here to the rescue. :rolleyes:
    Some young ones go mad for it. I did in my day. You could be missing a trick there. Get yourself a thesaurus too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Hard to resist when you quoted a post about you needing a dictionary with yet another mistake.

Carry on with your laughable attempts at trolling!

So disagreeing with feminists is now deemed trolling? Typical feminist logic, when they can't win debates then resort to the 'troll' and 'sexist' labels

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Some young ones go mad for it. I did in my day. You could be missing a trick there. Get yourself a thesaurus too.

She sounds like a pain in the ar$e to be honest.

She sounds like a pain in the ar$e to be honest.
    Who's she? You're trying to increase your value to high value young women, no? All I'm saying is an articulate and fluent man is considered valuable by some. Now ariticulating the kind of ****e you have on here won't do too much for you, but learning to spell might help a bit.

• Advertisement

Who's she? You're trying to increase your value to high value young women, no? All I'm saying is an articulate and fluent man is considered valuable by some. Now ariticulating the kind of ****e you have on here won't do too much for you, but learning to spell might help a bit.

Calm down and have some ice cream, it will help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭anewme

So disagreeing with feminists is now deemed trolling? Typical feminist logic, when they can't win debates then resort to the 'troll' and 'sexist' labels

If you wonder why you are not successful with women, don't blame women, but maybe look at yourself.

I just find it funny that someone with very poor language and communication skills would consider themselves such a great catch.

You are definitely best off suited to the Russian ladies (once they don't take up an English course)

Play safe and tell them you like Opera shoes.

So disagreeing with feminists is now deemed trolling?
    No, insulting women over and over is. E.g. "Irish women like most modern Western women. They have brain rot from all of the chatterbox shows they've been watching. They can't boil an egg. They are butch and dress like men. They get drunk, drink pints and swear like men."

You can distinguish surely. I'm not a fan of feminism today - criticism of woman-hating is not automatically feminism.

Calm down and have some ice cream, it will help
    I'm not in need of help. But you go ahead if you find it works for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

No, insulting women over and over is. E.g. "Irish women like most modern Western women. They have brain rot from all of the chatterbox shows they've been watching. They can't boil an egg. They are butch and dress like men. They get drunk, drink pints and swear like men."

You can distinguish surely. I'm not a fan of feminism today - criticism of woman-hating is not automatically feminism.

His posts are so bonkers. I'm actually beginning to enjoy them.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    Check out the post by him on the thread about the Amazon guy.

It should help with the general moodiness of that time of the month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Arghus wrote: »

It's like someone has just handed him the worlds biggest shovel and he just keeps on digging.

It should help with the general moodiness of that time of the month
    You on the blob?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

anewme wrote: »
    It's like someone has just handed him the worlds biggest shovel and he just keeps on digging.

I love how he thinks he's winning a debate (!) . Am actually a bit embarrassed for him

I think he's trying to get us to cry.

I love how he thinks he's winning a debate (!) . Am actually a bit embarrassed for him

*I'm

*I'm
    Good man. Now you're getting somewhere. Value level increase of .003

*I'm

Oh mate.

It's perfectly alright to say "am" in a colloquial sense. Try harder next time

Oh mate.

It's perfectly alright to say "am" in a colloquial sense. Try harder next time

You want to mate?

I knew all of this pent up anger was leading to something.

• Advertisement

This is cringe factor Jay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

So no interest in 50 year women with a lifetime of sexual experience? Im telling you lads, that's the place to be.

emo72 wrote: »
    So no interest in 50 year women with a lifetime of sexual experience? Im telling you lads, that's the place to be.

giphy.webp

emo72 wrote: »

Did you not get the memo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm very disappointed that this thread didn't degrade into a festival of pictures of hot women over 50.

So let me present exhibit A:

Liz-Hurley-pictures-latest-news-white-swimsuit-Elizabeth-Hurley-beach-1677977.jpg?r=1546958725473

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I'll have Monica Bellucci.

the-italian-goddess-monica-bellucci-635691781511119384-12864.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

French guy would have to work way too hard to impress the likes of Liz Hurley above. What he really wants is someone who is starting out in life and so is in awe of him. Unequal relationships really suit ego-centered and shallow people like him.

lots of examples who went the other way

Jennifer Love Hewitt - not yet 40

2lawm1d.jpg

femc1t.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Sonic Youth

Not having a relationship til your twenties is pretty common for both sexes I would have thought. And your twenties is not your entire life!

Not common at all.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I dont think some men understand that sex and attention from women isn't a human right. And that women don't exist solely for them. It's not surprising that women don't find bitterness and barely concealed rage an attractive quality. Where did this sense of entitlement come from?

It's not a sense of entitlement, it's a sense of frustration some men get because no matter what the do they seem to be invisible to women. I would say to those men they need to seriously work on themselves and start approaching women. Then though, you get accused of 'promoting pua' or some crap.

No common at all.
    Until early 20s it is certainly common.

But if you mean specifically mid 20s onwards, yeah that's more unusual. I wouldn't say it's as rare as what you'd be led to believe though (much of our information comes from the media).

There are good-looking guys who are players until their 30s though - avoid commitment as long as possible. It's really a case by case thing.

Until early 20s it is certainly common.

But if you mean specifically mid 20s onwards, yeah that's more unusual. I wouldn't say it's as rare as what you'd be led to believe though (much of our information comes from the media).

There are good-looking guys who are players until their 30s though - avoid commitment as long as possible. It's really a case by case thing.

I know guys in their 40s who get with girls in their 20s. I suspect they are sociopaths such is the level of charm they display.

I have disagree with you though. From what I've seen it's rare for someone to get to 20 without a relationship or any kind of experience with the opposite sex.

It's not a sense of entitlement, it's a sense of frustration some men get because no matter what the do they seem to be invisible to women. I would say to those men they need to seriously work on themselves and start approaching women. Then though, you get accused of 'promoting pua' or some crap.

The PUA stuff, imo, is only useful because it gives people a framework they can cling to when they are chatting to the opposite sex. It gives people a plan when they lack one and feel they need one. If it is successful, it's not because the lines work, it's because they give people the confidence to talk. Once you have talked to a stranger for 2 or 3 minutes, you can tell if you're going to be able to talk them indefinitely or if ye have nothing in common.

It is a chronic (and mystifying) shame that we seem to raise both sexes in Ireland to be so wary of each other that such nonsense is needed by anyone. Whatever else our schools do, they do not instil confidence and self worth into people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It is a chronic (and mystifying) shame that we seem to raise both sexes in Ireland to be so wary of each other that such nonsense is needed by anyone. Whatever else our schools do, they do not instil confidence and self worth into people.

Not sure you can blame the schools for any discomfort. A lot of it is natural shyness which exists in most cultures but we think we are unique in this respect.

• Advertisement

Not sure you can blame the schools for any discomfort. A lot of it is natural shyness which exists in most cultures but we think we are unique in this respect.

I dunno, shyness is one thing, half this nation seems to suffer from a severe lack of confidence, it would be more, but Cork arrogance skews the figures a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Not sure why this has created such a commotion. Not like this actually affects anybody. Man is entitled to like what he likes and speak what he thinks... doesn't mean anybody has to agree with him. The only people who this affects is anybody who is female, over 50 and has a romantic interest in this man - seems like a very narrow criteria there to be of any worry.

The facts there don't care about the feelings... Just todays storm in a tea cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I dunno, shyness is one thing, half this nation seems to suffer from a severe lack of confidence, it would be more, but Cork arrogance skews the figures a bit.

It's funny because internationally, I get the impression that people think we are very confident and outgoing.

I do think maybe tourists see us being friendly and equate that with confidence in every walk of life maybe more than is the case but I don't think we are a nation of shrinking violets either.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

It's funny because internationally, I get the impression that people think we are very confident and outgoing.

I do think maybe tourists see us being friendly and equate that with confidence in every walk of life maybe more than is the case but I don't think we are a nation of shrinking violets either.

Whoa. Almost as if the irish that emigrated and made first contact are the outgoing ones or something..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭MaryBrosnan

I would soften it for him fairly sharpish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Being half drunk can easily be viewed internationally as being very confident and outgoing!?!? That impression of the Irish abroad soon wears thin......

The PUA stuff, imo, is only useful because it gives people a framework they can cling to when they are chatting to the opposite sex. It gives people a plan when they lack one and feel they need one. If it is successful, it's not because the lines work, it's because they give people the confidence to talk. Once you have talked to a stranger for 2 or 3 minutes, you can tell if you're going to be able to talk them indefinitely or if ye have nothing in common.

The Incels and MGTOW movements come from North America

You can be confident and outgoing and still have self doubt- these are human traits, not unique to Irish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Incels and MGTOW movements come from North America
    Exactly and the whole PUA thing is international. It's feck all to do with being Irish or Irish culture. It was exported from the US in the noughties, along with the whole gender politics polarisation ballsology. And even then it's a minority thing in the US.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Or women could pick up some of the grunt work and do some approaching or asking out that expectation in this age of equality still falls on men, it's a debate I've had many times with female friends, they use every excuse going "that's the man's job" "we don't to be seen as easy" etc. What they don't want to admit is their egos wouldn't take the knock of a rejection

Or women could pick up some of the grunt work and do some approaching or asking out that expectation in this age of equality still falls on men, it's a debate I've had many times with female friends, they use every excuse going "that's the man's job" "we don't to be seen as easy" etc. What they don't want to admit is their egos wouldn't take the knock of a rejection

I don't have any issue making a move on a guy but what women have been told for years is "let him do the work", "men love a challenge", "play hard to get", so often women end up just as confused as men. Why not just accept that neither gender are perfect, all of us figure out this stuff as we go along and sometimes get it right, other times not.

I don't have any issue making a move on a guy but what women have been told for years is "let him do the work", "men love a challenge", "play hard to get", so often women end up just as confused as men. Why not just accept that neither gender are perfect, all of us figure out this stuff as we go along and sometimes get it right, other times not.

It's a power thing, even on a lot of tinder profiles you'll see if we match you message first.... So they can still reject/unmatch/ghost you, I don't think women fully appreciate how nerve wrecking asking them out can be for some men and it opens you up to a lot of messes too, the ones that will string you along for validation, ego boosts etc

It's a power thing, even on a lot of tinder profiles you'll see if we match you message first.... So they can still reject/unmatch/ghost you, I don't think women fully appreciate how nerve wrecking asking them out can be for some men and it opens you up to a lot of messes too, the ones that will string you along for validation, ego boosts etc

And you think women have never been ghosted by guys? I'm just saying that both women and men can have a hard time of it in the dating world. Messers and time-wasters exist in both genders.

And you think women have never been ghosted by guys? I'm just saying that both women and men can have a hard time of it in the dating world. Messers and time-wasters exist in both genders.

Indeed, but for men a lot of the time you're putting your hand out to be slapped, the red bill/mgtow gets a bad rep around here but ultimately I can only seeing it being a good thing for freeing men from outdated gender roles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

In general, sex is more of an urgent physical need to men than it is to women. Women are generally hopeful that more will evolve from sex, so it really really isn't that wonderful to women to be seen just as someone who'll do for a shag by a guy who has tried to get other women on a given night but no joy and she's the last resort and he doesn't give a hoot about her (I know she goes ahead with it too, but that's because SHE isn't able to find intimacy either). And in those cases, the men who have trouble finding a woman... well they DO find a woman. Just not who they'd like. But if the point is that it's easier for unattractive women to get casual sex, well who are they having casual sex with? It ain't the adonises.

I also think it's a myth that an attractive women can have amazing sex in the arms of an Adonis anytime she wants it. I know plenty of young attractive women who say they despair of finding anyone decent to date. One night stands are relatively easy to come by -- but as you note, that's not what many women are really looking for.

At Trinity College, over 60 percent of students are now women. That means that on a student night out there would be on average three women for every two men -- not great odds for the women. And this carries through to society in general, where there are significantly more educated professional women under 30 than there are men -- meaning that many young women will struggle to find partners who are their equals in terms of education and career.

Having no-strings-attached sex and having relationships are two different things, and most of us ultimately want the latter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement