Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French author, 50, says he's incapable of loving a woman of 50

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

Money or status doesn't compensate for no chemistry/spark.

You're living in a world of make believe if you think that. Money and status = power and that raises the attractiveness in a man by 100 percent. It has been the same since the beginning of time and no amount of social construction will change that. Again, facts don't care about feelings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

greencap wrote: »

Young women do get a lot of social power, just for being.

Young men do not get any free boost of social power whatsoever.

And the eventual turning of the tables will always be satisfying to me.

Its a beautiful thing.

Actually laughed out loud at that. Have a word with yourself mate! You sound like an Elliot Roger meme. Or some cartoonish villain type. Imagine walking around with these deluded thoughts in your head all day, “mwahahahahaha women age like milk, just like they deserve, bah humbug”

Meanwhile in the real world people get on with their lives and forge relationships and friendships with the opposite sex without needing to lean on unhinged bitter thoughts to justify their lack of social skills. God love ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Zorya wrote: »
    I have heard that as a saying quite a bit. My eyes honestly don't find the evidence for it.

All of us age, men and women, if we are lucky. I find there are a lot of very nice looking people, men and women, at all ages. Even quite old ones.

I don't find many men are more attractive in their 60s say, that many women in their 60s. Both look older, some look like they have weathered badly but increasingly more look like they are doing just fine.
    Sure people may have more wrinkles as they grow older, but they can often be very attractive. If someone is reasonably fit, keeps an eye on their weight, and is lucky enough to be healthy and minds their teeth (mind your teeth, kids!) they can look really lovely.
    People are minding themselves much more. This aging like milk thing is quite mean. And untrue. Just because you don't want to have sex with them doesn't mean they are not attractive. Beauty is in the eye that beholds.

It really ins't that untrue and has long established natural reason. We are primates and older males get their pick of the females of mating abilities . Simple comparison George Clooney and Sherilyn Fenn if you think she looks better aged than him you are blind.

Some people age better than others but it is universally accepted that men age better. Young women are attracted to older men and older men are attracted to younger ladies. It happens and works. Doesn't work on you but doesn't make you right either.

Now there is a concept of culture which influences modern society norms. The Spartans were big into homosexual sex with young boys. The women had to dress up like men on their wedding night. Greeks were big on young boys and men.

The author is a d!ck but he can say how he feels. I don't find immature people attractive no matter their age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

You're living in a world of make believe if you think that. Money and status = power and that raises the attractiveness in a man by 100 percent. It has been the same since the beginning of time and no amount of social construction will change that. Again, facts don't care about feelings.

It's not what I think, it's what I know. For me, money and status will never compensate for the other things I mentioned if they're lacking. Those are the things that are ultimately the most important for me and many others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

The way I look at it, human beings are not animals, driven by biological urges & unable to resist the brightest plumage. Human beings use a mixture of head and heart when picking a mate and our choices are usually in communion with the type of future we feel we can build together. If you were to pick any school class of children in Ireland today and look at their parents, the vast, vast majority of couples would be roughly the same age and social status. It is very rare to see this notion of stunning young woman in her early twenties and older man in his forties or fifties. It might happen with film stars and the likes but most of us live in the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Mrsmum wrote: »
    The way I look at it, human beings are not animals, driven by biological urges & unable to resist the brightest plumage. Human beings use a mixture of head and heart when picking a mate and our choices are usually in communion with the type of future we feel we can build together. If you were to pick any school class of children in Ireland today and look at their parents, the vast, vast majority of couples would be roughly the same age and social status. It is very rare to see this notion of stunning young woman in her early twenties and older man in his forties or fifties. It might happen with film stars and the likes but most of us live in the real world.

What are we if we are not animals? You don't appear to live in the really world I know plenty of couples where the women is at least 10 years younger than the male.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    What are we if we are not animals? You don't appear to live in the really world I know plenty of couples where the women is at least 10 years younger than the male.

What does plenty mean because I'm absolutely sure if you were honest you would know multiples of plenty who are around the same age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Actually laughed out loud at that. Have a word with yourself mate! You sound like an Elliot Roger meme. Or some cartoonish villain type. Imagine walking around with these deluded thoughts in your head all day, “mwahahahahaha women age like milk, just like they deserve, bah humbug”

Meanwhile in the real world people get on with their lives and forge relationships and friendships with the opposite sex without needing to lean on unhinged bitter thoughts to justify their lack of social skills. God love ya!

Ok.

God love me.

Anyone else want to call me names?

elliot roger. lol. jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I remember a few years ago bringing a friend to the dentist in malahide which just happens to be across from the marina, I had time to kill so took a stroll along it, one of those superyachts had just pulled in and a gang of Hugh Heffner type oul fellas were getting off it and linking arms with not just your average good looking women, you could tell these were catwalk model types, I just smiled and nodded and got a smile and nod back :pac:

Had a quick look there and have to admit the global age gap for marriage is lower than I thought.

Looks to be around 3.5 years going by one source.

That said, its still indicative of the female preference for seeking a source of stability in a mate. Which men don't seem to have.

as illustrated by:
    https://theconversation.com/mind-the-gap-does-age-difference-in-relationships-matter-94132

Across Western countries, about 8% of all married heterosexual couples can be classified as having a large age gap (ten years or more).
    These generally involve older men partnered with younger women.
    About 1% of age-gap couples involve an older woman partnered with a younger man.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You're living in a world of make believe if you think that. Money and status = power and that raises the attractiveness in a man by 100 percent. It has been the same since the beginning of time and no amount of social construction will change that.
    Yep, there's much truth in that. Now I dunno about 100%, but it would be mad to deny money and social status don't massively increase a man's choices when it comes to women. Not all women of course, but at least a large enough subset of women.

Think on the outliers in this thread of oul lads with much younger and prettier women. One thing is consistent; they're all as rich as Croesus. And famous, with huge status. Consider this couple:

jimmy-page-girlfriend-scarlett-sabet.jpg

Would a wistful, pretty, pre Raphaelite type hippie chick of 25 be going out with a 72 year old guy who looks like her great grandad if he weren't Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin? A man whose "tastes" for very young, down to illegal age girls are well documented. At least Mick Jagger if nothing else is as fit as a butchers dog, yer man looks barely vertical. Stairway to Heaven? More like a Stanna Stairlift to Heaven.

Though mad to consider that of the sixties musos, about the oldest of those Ringo Starr looks the fittest and "youngest" at nearly 80. Hair dye helps, but still.
    rs_634x1024-141020122938-634-ringo-starr-skehers.ls.102014.jpg?fit=inside|900:auto&output-quality=100
    And he's been with the same woman since the 70's. To be fair she was an actress, Bond girl, model and big mad ride and has aged well too. He must have some genes mind you. Though he was sickly as a kid, he became as strong as an ox. And this was a man who at one point didn't go to pubs because the drive there would eat into his drinking time. He smoked more than a chimney. He once called the police one morning because he thought his gaff had been robbed and trashed, until it slowly dawned on him, he had trashed the place. And he was an "advisor" on the flic "Withnail and I". :D It seems, stay slim, go nuts until you're middle aged, then go teetotal, ciggie free and vegetarian and don't try to be hip.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Had a quick look there and have to admit the global age gap for marriage is lower than I thought.

That said, its still indicative of the female preference for seeking a source of stability in a mate. Which men don't seem to have.

as illustrated by:
    https://theconversation.com/mind-the-gap-does-age-difference-in-relationships-matter-94132

Across Western countries, about 8% of all married heterosexual couples can be classified as having a large age gap (ten years or more).
    About 1% of age-gap couples involve an older woman partnered with a younger man.

Unsurprising given the concentration of wealth.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep, there's much truth in that. Now I dunno about 100%, but it would be mad to deny money and social status don't massively increase a man's choices when it comes to women. Not all women of course, but at least a large enough subset of women.

Where did I deny these things don't massively increase a man's choices? I said that money and status don't compensate for a lack of other things. That's true for me personally, and I stand by it.

It seems, stay slim, go nuts until you're middle aged, then go teetotal, ciggie free and vegetarian and don't try to be hip.

That's my plan too I swear. *munches on Chinese* *drinks vodka through eye*.

Besides, we keep going back to celebrities and I'm not sure why. Greencaps whole point was that "women age like milk and men age like wine" and he said the statement is not strictly about looks or personality, it's about other things. So unless Greencap is a rich celebrity/ rock star, he lives in the real world like all of us and celebrity comparisons are moot

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Where did I deny these things don't massively increase a man's choices? I said that money and status don't compensate for a lack of other things. That's true for me personally, and I stand by it.
    Oh I agree LF, that why I said "Not all women of course, but at least a large enough subset of women". Old film and rock stars would not be running short anytime soon of much younger women being willing/happy to bed/go out with them, even have their kids. Mick Jagger's previous girlfriend was barely cold in the ground when he shacked up with some early 30's dancer who then had his kid. Yet another to add to the mix.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Oh I agree LF, that why I said "Not all women of course, but at least a large enough subset of women". Old film and rock stars would not be running short anytime soon of much younger women being willing/happy to bed/go out with them, even have their kids. Mick Jagger's previous girlfriend was barely cold in the ground when he shacked up with some early 30's dancer who then had his kid. Yet another to add to the mix.
    Aye, as an aside, Mick's son from his most recent conquest is younger than his great grandchild!

Back in July, Mick Jagger and his girlfriend Melanie Hamrick announced they were expecting a child. Now Yahoo! News report The Rolling Stones frontman and his 30-year-old ballerina partner gave birth to a son on Thursday in New York.

The new son is the 73-year-old rock singer’s eighth child, joining his previous children ranging from 17 to 46 from four previous relationships. As Rolling Stone magazine associate editor Andy Greene pointed out via Twitter, Jagger now has a son younger than his great-granddaughter, who was born in 2014.

Link: https://consequenceofsound.net/2016/12/73-year-old-mick-jagger-welcomes-son-who-is-younger-than-his-great-grandchild/

Besides, we keep going back to celebrities and I'm not sure why. Greencaps whole point was that "women age like milk and men age like wine" and he said the statement is not strictly about looks or personality, it's about other things. So unless Greencap is a rich celebrity/ rock star, he lives in the real world like all of us and celebrity comparisons are moot

Multiple posters have made multiple points however extreme or unnecessary regarding men's preference for younger more fertile women due to status and wealth. Being a celebrity is only one scenario in a very complex biological certainty. You're focusing on one point of view to suit your agenda and for someone accusing the male posters in this thread of being bitter, you're not coming across as too open minded yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭anewme

It really ins't that untrue and has long established natural reason. We are primates and older males get their pick of the females of mating abilities . Simple comparison George Clooney and Sherilyn Fenn if you think she looks better aged than him you are blind.

Some people age better than others but it is universally accepted that men age better. Young women are attracted to older men and older men are attracted to younger ladies. It happens and works. Doesn't work on you but doesn't make you right either.

Now there is a concept of culture which influences modern society norms. The Spartans were big into homosexual sex with young boys. The women had to dress up like men on their wedding night. Greeks were big on young boys and men.

The author is a d!ck but he can say how he feels. I don't find immature people attractive no matter their age.

Well take Halle Berry and Johnny Depp. I think Johnny is 55 and Halle 52 so only a couple of years between. She looks fantastic and he has aged terribly.

Keanu Reeves looks better now than when he was younger.

I met a guy recently who was talking about travelling. I asked him how he got that much time off work. Turned out He took early retirement and will be sixty this year. You could have bowled me over, I had him down as mid- late forties!

The point is, generalising about people is useless.

I agree with the other poster that men and women age roughly the same. There will always be exceptions due to a bit of luck with genetics and of course people can make the best of themselves by looking after themselves, which is always attractive in a person, even if they are not conventionally good looking.

The men age like wine and women like milk, harpies, blah blah, believe their own hype. Bitterness is never attractive in a person, and when it's this deep rooted, it can't be hidden.

The irony is that those young women who get together with those old rock stars are definitely having way less sex that they would have in a same age relationship because age does matter for a man's performance levels so that could be an advantage or disadvantage for the female depending on her own sex drive.

• Advertisement

The irony is that those young women who get together with those old rock stars are definitely have way less sex that they would have in a same age relationship because age does matter for a man's performance levels so that could be an advantage or disadvantage for the female depending on her own sex drive.

Very true. I've no idea how these women have sex with these men considering how weathered they look. Must be something to do with wealth or status....

The irony is that those young women who get together with those old rock stars are definitely have way less sex that they would have in a same age relationship because age does matter for a man's performance levels so that could be an advantage or disadvantage for the female depending on her own sex drive.

In fairness I think a lot of the youngwans who get with old rockers want to get their hands on the other leathery thing in their trousers that flops out to 12 inches.

their wallets.

Multiple posters have made multiple points however extreme or unnecessary regarding men's preference for younger more fertile women due to status and wealth. Being a celebrity is only one scenario in a very complex biological certainty. You're focusing on one point of view to suit your agenda and for someone accusing the male posters in this thread of being bitter, you're not coming across as too open minded yourself.

No agenda here mate. Fully aware of that and it's been covered at length in the thread. But I fail to see how super rich celebrities dating much younger women has anything to do with Greencap and his statement of women age like milk and men age like wine. What has Greencap, a presumably normal person living in the real world, got to do with a rich rock star? How does that fit in with his statement about milk and wine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Though mad to consider that of the sixties musos, about the oldest of those Ringo Starr looks the fittest and "youngest" at nearly 80. Hair dye helps, but still.
    rs_634x1024-141020122938-634-ringo-starr-skehers.ls.102014.jpg?fit=inside|900:auto&output-quality=100
    And he's been with the same woman since the 70's. To be fair she was an actress, Bond girl, model and big mad ride and has aged well too. He must have some genes mind you. Though he was sickly as a kid, he became as strong as an ox. And this was a man who at one point didn't go to pubs because the drive there would eat into his drinking time. He smoked more than a chimney. He once called the police one morning because he thought his gaff had been robbed and trashed, until it slowly dawned on him, he had trashed the place. And he was an "advisor" on the flic "Withnail and I". :D It seems, stay slim, go nuts until you're middle aged, then go teetotal, ciggie free and vegetarian and don't try to be hip.

Have to say Ringo Starr really is a very attractive man. He has a great style about him.

Very true. I've no idea how these women have sex with these men considering how weathered they look. Must be something to do with wealth or status....

It's gas really, old rock star choses young woman because her fertility so to speak shines out of her yet she, at the height of her sexual prime has to go at his elderly pace. Definite mismatch of nature there.

What has Greencap, a presumably normal person living in the real world,

promoted to normal from bitter reject serial killer.

great success.

In fairness I think a lot of the youngwans who get with old rockers want to get their hands on the other leathery thing in their trousers that flops out to 12 inches.

their wallets.

Only fair to get something out of the bargain :D.

It's gas really, old rock star choses young woman because her fertility so to speak shines out of her yet she, at the height of her sexual prime has to go at his elderly pace. Definite mismatch of nature there.

Mick just crumbles a few viagra tablets into his heroin fix*.

*May not be true.

Maybe there's something about old men with big egos that what they can't have any more ie a young man's sex life with a beautiful, young woman, they don't want younger men to have either so they take the most beautiful young girls out of circulation ??

• Advertisement

I would say that it is generally accepted that men age better than women - up until about 60 anyway.

there are exceptions and if a man chooses to let himself go completely then it will not be the case.

or maybe Carrie Fisher was right
    “Men don't age better than women, they're just allowed to age.

either way the point stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

I think I'm falling in love with Lotus Flower :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

joe40 wrote: »
    I have only quickly browsed through 2 forums this morning, this one and one about Watson crick of DNA fame.

The same posters are popping up spouting racist crap there and sexist crap here. I have no problem with different opinions, it is the whole point of a internet forum, but this does look organised.

Talk of beta males, cucks, looney left etc, it really does lower the level of debate.
    All this stuff imported from alt right American sites actually goes against people that have genuinely held conservative views.

And what exactly do you consider to be "genuinely held conservative views"?

Could depend too. I mean Mick Jagger is scarily fit for a man of any age, never mind his. Now maybe he's getting creaky now in his mid seventies, but ten years ago and he was running around the stage like a hyper teenager. To be fair he's incredibly rare an individual.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Sonic Youth

My 40 something friend, who has an almost supernatural effect on women, told me one of the best parts of having girlfriends in their 20s is the dirty looks older women give you.

Bastard has to rub it in! Still that's the life you can live when you have rockstar good looks and supreme confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

not sure if this was mentioned, but appears life expectancy differs in men/women when there is a significant age gap in the couple; this is beneficial only for men, as the greater the age gap between a woman and her husband, the shorter her life expectancy would be (findings are based on data from two million Danish couples).
    - guess some women have higher self preservation instincts than others.
    According to Drefahl's study, published May 12 in the journal Demography, women marrying a partner seven to nine years younger increase their mortality risk by 20 percent. Hence, "health selection" can't be true for women; healthy women apparently don't go chasing after younger men. While many studies on mate selection show that women mostly prefer men the same age, most of them end up with an older husband. In the United States, on average a groom is 2.3 years older than his bride. "It's not that women couldn't find younger partners; the majority just don't want to," says Sven Drefahl.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

So, what your saying is...she can't get no satisfaction? :pac:

Ba dum tish!

*Grabs coat and exits swiftly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Get product on market.... Say something controversial.... Profit....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Some? Sure. Plenty? Doubtful. As a percentage of all the couples you know, I’d be confident that it’s a small percentage.
    I remember a few years ago bringing a friend to the dentist in malahide which just happens to be across from the marina, I had time to kill so took a stroll along it, one of those superyachts had just pulled in and a gang of Hugh Heffner type oul fellas were getting off it and linking arms with not just your average good looking women, you could tell these were catwalk model types, I just smiled and nodded and got a smile and nod back :pac:

The wording is odd here - “You could tell”. Well, yes, by looking at them presumably? It’s not like it’s a cryptic crossword clue. If they were modelesque, you’d deduce that straight away surely? We’re all well able to make a quick assessment of looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

"His elderly pace?" Jagger is incredibly fit for his age, as anyone who has seen him perform live in his '60s and '70s could attest. He is still one of the most dynamic frontmen in rock, and would put the average 30-something to shame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

as illustrated by:

So let's assume not many people are getting married in their teens, and that some of those 10+ years age gap marriages are women in their thirties or maybe even (EEEEEW GROSS) forties. Not many men doing what basically every man wants to do because of like, science and biology.

What stability exactly is provided by a man 3 years older than a woman that isn't provided by a man six months younger? Considering women usually outearn men in their 20s it's presumably not financial. That 32.5 year old just provides emotional stability totally lacking from a 29 year old man? (I'd actually agree that women tend to mature emotionally and socially a bit quicker than men, definitely little boys should start school later than little girls and it's one way that society does fail to cater to male needs but it seems by the 30s to have more or less evened out)

How small dies an age gap have to be to stop proving your point, btw? Two weeks? Nine hours?

So let's assume not many people are getting married in their teens, and that some of those 10+ years age gap marriages are women in their thirties or maybe even (EEEEEW GROSS) forties. Not many men doing what basically every man wants to do because of like, science and biology.

What stability exactly is provided by a man 3 years older than a woman that isn't provided by a man six months younger? Considering women usually outearn men in their 20s it's presumably not financial. That 32.5 year old just provides emotional stability totally lacking from a 29 year old man? (I'd actually agree that women tend to mature emotionally and socially a bit quicker than men, definitely little boys should start school later than little girls and it's one way that society does fail to cater to male needs but it seems by the 30s to have more or less evened out)

How small dies an age gap have to be to stop proving your point, btw? Two weeks? Nine hours?

Well no, you won't disprove that, because women DO mostly marry men a few years older than themselves, on average.

Why? ... Ask some women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I dont really agree with people that say women age worse. Maybe without intervention they do, but theres definitely way more women in their 40's who put effort into their looks ,like hair ,makeup, working out, than men of the same age. Over 50's..hardly ever see good looking examples of either gender tbh..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Tenderribs

wakka12 wrote: »
    I dont really agree with people that say women age worse. Maybe without intervention they do, but theres definitely way more women in their 40's who put effort into their looks ,like hair ,makeup, working out, than men of the same age. Over 50's..hardly ever see good looking examples of either gender tbh..

For men though status and power, even if not good looking, can be sexy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Tenderribs wrote: »

You know, I don’t think anyone has made this point on-thread yet. Thank fook you registered, otherwise where would we be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Tenderribs wrote: »

Maybe. I don't get it though. Puckering up for a big sloppy snog with someone you don't actually like the look of....blech. I'd prefer to be poor.

You know, I don’t think anyone has made this point on-thread yet. Thank fook you registered, otherwise where would we be?

No prob, any time.

Maybe. I don't get it though. Puckering up for a big sloppy snog with someone you don't actually like the look of....blech. I'd prefer to be poor.

What people say and what they do can often be different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Ah, I preferred to read younger men may be attracted to older other men with status and power - that must be it, cause I don't know any woman in her right mind who'd go for old butt ugly guys with lots of money.
    The same paper brought earlier had mentioned "About 25% of male-male unions and 15% of female-female unions demonstrate a large age gap." ;)

mvl wrote: »
    Ah, I preferred to read younger men may be attracted to older other men with status and power - that must be it, cause I don't know any woman in her right mind who'd go for old butt ugly guys with lots of money.
    The same paper brought earlier had mentioned "About 25% of male-male unions and 15% of female-female unions demonstrate a large age gap." ;)

It's scientifically proven that status is a key attraction trigger for women towards men. It can make ordinary men appear good looking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement