Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo suggestions

Options
  • 08-01-2019 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

In the market to upgrade my turbo and wondering what is the best option out there. Have been using a flow for the last few years both with its own head unit and hooked up to Tacx software (which I found brutal to be honest but it may have improved since with newer versions). Happy to push the budget a bit for the right piece of kit as realistically its my best bet for getting some work done for the foreseeable future. Noise is not an issue as it will be in the gym shed. Also prefer direct drive. Have tried trainerroad in the past but all the cool kids seem to be on Zwift these days.

Are Wahoo still the market leader or have the Tacx machines caught up? The last time I bought a turbo the Lemond machines were all the rage but have not heard much of them recently?

Would love to hear from anyone with recent experience....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

I had used a manual Elite Chrono fluid trainer for many happy years without issue. You change the gears to provide resistance, nothing to plug in, happy days.

Late last year I bought an Elite Direto and have been using it with Zwift for a few months. Huge difference- the Direto changes resistance based on the course, Zwift is pretty interesting so far (thought I'd be bored with it by now but it still makes the time pass quickly). Its also very smooth and quiet.

Theres some comparison reviews on DCRainmaker that pushed me to the Direto and I'm very happy so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

EC1000 wrote: »
    In the market to upgrade my turbo and wondering what is the best option out there. Have been using a flow for the last few years both with its own head unit and hooked up to Tacx software (which I found brutal to be honest but it may have improved since with newer versions). Happy to push the budget a bit for the right piece of kit as realistically its my best bet for getting some work done for the foreseeable future. Noise is not an issue as it will be in the gym shed. Also prefer direct drive. Have tried trainerroad in the past but all the cool kids seem to be on Zwift these days.

Are Wahoo still the market leader or have the Tacx machines caught up? The last time I bought a turbo the Lemond machines were all the rage but have not heard much of them recently?

Would love to hear from anyone with recent experience....

Been a while since Wahoo have been market leaders. Tacx has that slot for the last while.

Personally would love a Neo2

Lemond out of business now too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

I got a Neo (first one) back in April on my wives bike to work and it's pretty awesome I must say. I use it with Trainer Road mostly and it is a deadly combo. I picked a low volume base plan and use erg mode - brilliant structured and focused sessions. It feels smooth and is very quite. The thing that no one told me was how much more comfortable it is (I had a Flow too) I can easily do 1.5 to 2 hours without getting sore! Perhaps with the Neo 2 out now you can pick up a cheaper Neo 1 or even second hand. Hope that helps.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I have one of these https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/elite-novo-smart-turbo-trainer

You still need your trainer wheel and turbo tyre but I didn't feel like a direct drive turbo was worth the extra investment though I really, really, really, really, really, really, really tried to justify a much larger spend. Gets you on zwift/sufferfest/rouvy/trainer road etc, resistance changes based on the course etc
    Power numbers etc probably not the most accurate but if you have a power meter on your bike you can use that on zwift instead of the turbos ones.

I also had the flow(bought in 2011), which I was using regularly and was still going strong when I was buying this. Was hard to justify the spend when I had a perfectly functioning turbo. I know there are accuracy difference between direct drive and this stats differences with the higher end ones but, end of the day, turbo is about the work you put into it than how snazzy your turbo is, so I was happy with this as an upgrade to get me onto the VR sessions (cost me less than the flow did back in the day).

Zwift is the business really, really does help with keeping your head in the game for turbo sessions, especially if you can do a group workout with friends for a long spin. I have a load of my own sessions set up into it but zwift provide pre-built training sessions also.

I have one of these https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/elite-novo-smart-turbo-trainer

You still need your trainer wheel and turbo tyre but I didn't feel like a direct drive turbo was worth the extra investment though I really, really, really, really, really, really, really tried to justify a much larger spend. Gets you on zwift/sufferfest/rouvy/trainer road etc, resistance changes based on the course etc
    Power numbers etc probably not the most accurate but if you have a power meter on your bike you can use that on zwift instead of the turbos ones.

I also had the flow(bought in 2011), which I was using regularly and was still going strong when I was buying this. Was hard to justify the spend when I had a perfectly functioning turbo. I know there are accuracy difference between direct drive and this stats differences with the higher end ones but, end of the day, turbo is about the work you put into it than how snazzy your turbo is, so I was happy with this as an upgrade to get me onto the VR sessions (cost me less than the flow did back in the day).

Zwift is the business really, really does help with keeping your head in the game for turbo sessions, especially if you can do a group workout with friends for a long spin. I have a load of my own sessions set up into it but zwift provide pre-built training sessions also.

I'm looking forward to giving Zwift a go at some stage, seems to be a real game changer for indoor training in term of a good balance between fun and structure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I'm looking forward to giving Zwift a go at some stage, seems to be a real game changer for indoor training in term of a good balance between fun and structure.

The racing on zwift is a form of torture... Typically finish nowhere and burn over 1,000 kcal over a 50 minute race and lose about a stone of water

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It really is a great tool and you can choose hillier courses/flatter courses etc based on your need. I think you unlock new ones as you go (the more you use it the more 'rewards' you get)
    I tried a free trial of sufferfest also and was good to mix up the two. Sufferfest also has a load of strength training/stretching videos etc which was quite good. Made it fairly easy to jump off the turbo and flick straight into a good stretching routine at the click of a button. Some people are disciplined enough to do that anyway without technologies help. I most certainly am not. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I have been using Zwift since day 1 as a beta tester, it has come on a lot over the last while. I think they still offer a free trial. Since on their payment plan (I got to use it free at the start) I have clocked up a lot of indoor kms on it for cycling and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

for many it seems to be a game changer to race in training.

ie its not a game changer its entertainment changer ( which is certainly good for some but its certainly not a game changer to become a better athlete )

just like to point that out.

peter kern wrote: »
    for many it seems to be a game changer to race in training.

ie its not a game changer its entertainment changer ( which is certainly good for some but its certainly not a game changer to become a better athlete )

just like to point that out.

That's what is seems to me too but I'm sure used in the correct way one can get massive benefits out of it. When I try Zwift it won't be the races I'll be interested in but more the workouts (like TR) and sometimes the long spin if weather is sh!t outside.

I've stuck with trainer road myself as I like the focused nature of their workouts. I prefer to use the TV for watching Super League Tri or YouTube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

That's what is seems to me too but I'm sure used in the correct way one can get massive benefits out of it. When I try Zwift it won't be the races I'll be interested in but more the workouts (like TR) and sometimes the long spin if weather is sh!t outside.

I've stuck with trainer road myself as I like the focused nature of their workouts. I prefer to use the TV for watching Super League Tri or YouTube.

iam sure you were a good bit faster with no traineroad a few years ago than now with trainerroad lol focus on the meat and not the fluff.( and ofocurse if oyu enjoy the fluff cool )

peter kern wrote: »
    iam sure you were a good bit faster with no traineroad a few years ago than now with trainerroad lol focus on the meat and not the fluff.( and ofocurse if oyu enjoy the fluff cool )

I was for sure but I'm not that person anymore, I needed some extra motivation or even "gimmiky" (TR is not gimmicky though) stuff to get me back on a bike and TR did that. It's also much easier/time efficient than building my own workouts. As the year goes on and I get more specific I will most likely drop TR but for now I find it great.

Actually I'd like to mention also the TR podcast, it is a pretty good resource too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I have a kickr, got it second hand, I like it but I don't use half the stuff it can do. I tried zwift but it wasn't for me, I don't use the erg mode on it, I just get on and do the trainer road sessions using my power meter. I could def get away with a non smart trainer but I got it for a good price and it hasn't given me any issues so happy with it. I'd definitely go direct drive over wheel on, just less hassle. If your not going to use zwift you can probably get away with a non smart trainer, I prefer to use it in normal mode rather than erg on my workouts, have tried erg once or twice and it's good but just find it less hassle doing it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Bertje14

I am a 70 quid turbo trainer from Aldi & I definitely looking for an upgrade. For me I doesn't have to me Smart trainer. I prefer to be out on the road and only really use to keep the legs moving. I just watch the footie. only time I get to watch it in peace :):):).

The main thing for me is that this bugger is really noisy. Any recommendation on something that would be quieter? I know direct drive would probably be the solution but i can't justify suck an out lay to be honest.

Open to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I have no idea what they're like to use personally. But the certainly look interesting.
    And a few reviews seem good..

https://www.staczero.com/hero

Advertisement