Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Pension AVCS

• 08-01-2019 6:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Coming up to tax time and just had a thought about AVCs and tax relief.

I have a pension scheme through work where 5% of my monthly pay is deducted and put into the pension. My employer matches this.

My understanding of an AVC was that it would have to payments made in addition to this (eg. I decide to put €500 of my own money directly into the pension pot I could claim that as an AVC for tax relief.) However now that I think of it I'm not sure if thats correct.

Is an AVC actually any contribution I make in addition to whatever my employer puts in (So in this case I could claim on my €500 lump plus whatever 5% of my monthly contributions added up to)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Hi,

Coming up to tax time and just had a thought about AVCs and tax relief.

I have a pension scheme through work where 5% of my monthly pay is deducted and put into the pension. My employer matches this.

My understanding of an AVC was that it would have to payments made in addition to this (eg. I decide to put €500 of my own money directly into the pension pot I could claim that as an AVC for tax relief.) However now that I think of it I'm not sure if thats correct.

Is an AVC actually any contribution I make in addition to whatever my employer puts in (So in this case I could claim on my €500 lump plus whatever 5% of my monthly contributions added up to)

Pretty much.

It's additional to what's been "put into the pot" from all sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Pretty much.

It's additional to what's been "put into the pot" from all sources.

Thanks, sorry just so I have this right. I can basically claim tax relief on any contribution i make to my pension regardless of whether its done directly off your salary or a lump sum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Thanks, sorry just so I have this right. I can basically claim tax relief on any contribution i make to my pension regardless of whether its done directly off your salary or a lump sum

If it's through payroll, 99.9% they give relief at source.

Advertisement