Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scam?

• 08-01-2019 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭

My parents received a phone call this evening from 0214831516. The guy said he was from eir and had a lot of information about them, but he wanted there bank account number in order to stop nuisance calls.Is this a very weird scam or did my parents pick him up wrong? They hung up on him a few times and he kept calling back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭eir: Ahren

Whiplashy wrote: »
    My parents received a phone call this evening from 0214831516. The guy said he was from eir and had a lot of information about them, but he wanted there bank account number in order to stop nuisance calls.Is this a very weird scam or did my parents pick him up wrong? They hung up on him a few times and he kept calling back.
    Hi there Whiplashy.

Thank you for getting in touch with us here about this.

This would be a scam call, we would never contact our customers in regards to acquiring their sensitive information. 

We are aware of a series of unsolicited calls that claim to come from our eir services teams. I would suggest ignoring these types of calls in future. Also depending on what handset you are using, you will be able to block these calls.

Further information on this can be found here.

Thank you.
    -Ahren

• Registered Users Posts: 6 money84

I just got that exact call from that same number. Totally weirded out by the amount of information they had about me! He asked for my customer number and told me that this number would be on my cheque book or my bank card and he wanted to see that the numbers matched! I asked him to call out the number for me but then asked how my name appears on my card. Total scam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

money84 wrote: »
    I just got that exact call from that same number. Totally weirded out by the amount of information they had about me! He asked for my customer number and told me that this number would be on my cheque book or my bank card and he wanted to see that the numbers matched! I asked him to call out the number for me but then asked how my name appears on my card. Total scam!

It’s very scary how much info they have. I have it well drilled into my parents not to be giving out any bank details, but I can see how some people, especially older people, would actually fall for it.

Advertisement