Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meaning of "Hand Delivered"

Options
  • 08-01-2019 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

Hi!

Is there a specific meaning behind the phrase "hand delivered" when an employer uses it in a document. I would think that it means that a document was actually delivered by hand.

Advise/opinions appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I would interpret it to mean someone from the company delivers it, by hand.

So it's not DHL delivering it, or being e-mailed to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I would interpret it to mean someone from the company delivers it, by hand.

So it's not DHL delivering it, or being e-mailed to you.

I would agree with the above. its someone in the company delivers it to the end person.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It really depends on the context.

As others say, in general it would mean delivered directly to the recipient in a hard format by someone directly employed with the company and not a third-party service.

However, it could be interpreted in the broader sense to mean that it was delivered in a manner where the deliverer can provide confirmation that the intended recipient physically received it. In this case, a signed delivery by DHL or similar may be acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

qwertz wrote: »
    Hi!

Is there a specific meaning behind the phrase "hand delivered" when an employer uses it in a document. I would think that it means that a document was actually delivered by hand.

Advise/opinions appreciated! Thanks!

So go on, what did you lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Ha, that would be easy. A disciplinary letter was emailed to me. The top section states hand delivered. It’s a simple work duo without a signature. I am trying to determine if the employer made a mistake that I can turn to my advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Ha, that would be easy. A disciplinary letter was emailed to me. The top section states hand delivered. It’s a simple work duo without a signature. I am trying to determine if the employer made a mistake that I can turn to my advantage.

Assuming the disciplinary matter isn't disputed by you, why on earth would you exacerbate the situation by picking a fight on something as insignificant as this?.

Why are you being disciplined?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

It’s one of many mistakes that they made. They all add up. Just looking for advise, guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

qwertz wrote:
    It’s one of many mistakes that they made. They all add up. Just looking for advise, guys.

My advice is that if the disciplinary is warranted, then trying to get out of it on a technicality isn't going to do you any favours.

If you feel it's unwarranted, then fight it on merit.

Getting back to the question I asked you, why are you being disciplined?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It could also just be an emailed copy of a letter that has been/will be hand-delivered to you (which I would understand it to mean "not sent through the post").

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

It all depends on whose mistakes were worse..yours or theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

aido79 wrote: »
    It all depends on whose mistakes were worse..yours or theirs.

Not really - the labour court is full of rulings where an employee completely acted the arse and deserved to be fired (not saying that's what happened here), but the company didn't dot all the "i"s, so they find in favour of the employee.

That said, unless it's gotten to the stage of being dismissed, I'd be trying to mend the situation instead of this kind of nitpicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Birdsong

New Home wrote:
    It could also just be an emailed copy of a letter that has been/will be hand-delivered to you (which I would understand it to mean "not sent through the post").

This

A lot of correspondence is also emailed

Advertisement