Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NYC, long weekend, 4 men...where to stay?

• 08-01-2019 10:07pm

4 of us heading over for the weekend of the SuperBowl.

What's a good area with busy night life, pubs, cheap eats etc and reasonable hotel rates in Manhattan?

Can see hotels where we'd pay about €60 pp per night near Times Square which seems very good almost too good for that location..is there a tax in addition?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭Homer

Tax is an addition to EVERYTHING you see priced over there as different states have different taxes. So if you see a price in a shop/restaurant you will need to add tax and a tip in the case of bars/restaurants!

€60 pp per night seems suspiciously cheap for midtown although super bowl is on at a traditionally quiet time of the year in the city.

Do your homework, check reviews and enjoy.. amazing city if you’ve never been!
    You’ll probably get asked for ID in a lot of bars regardless of age so bring drivers licence with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

There's a good modern and clean hostel with en-suite rooms in Queens called The Local NYC that I stayed in a few years ago that I can definitely recommend. You could get a 4 bed dorm for €35.60 each on that weekend. That excludes taxes but they are advertised on their Hostelworld page and when you work all that out it's more like €44 per head per night but it's still a great price for a private room in NYC. Don't let the fact it's not in Manhattan put you off either, it's very close, about 3 subway stops to central Manhattan. Great views from the rooftop as well.

Thanks for the tips...but think we're going with the Marriott in Herald Square, which seems to be right by the Empire State and Macys. Think it works out at €280 each for 4 nights, 2 rooms with 2 double beds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Would the four of you not get an apartment for the four nights?

Something like this would probably be a better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Regarding travel in NYC, you could consider a 7 day Metro card costing $32. Valid for Subway and buses. Each journey ( by either) irrespective of distance costs $2.75 , so anything more than 12 journeys would be worthwhile.

• Advertisement

The hotel deal seemed pretty good, about €1,100 between the 4 for 4 nights. Could have saved a bit alright Berserker by going for an apartment, but this is 2 rooms, 2 double beds. And very central. We’re heading to the Knicks Celtics in Madison Square Gardens, so where we’re staying is very near there.

As for travel, not sure we’ll even hit the 12 journey mark. Itinerary pretty full, basketball, Super Bowl, I’m heading out to Hawthorne to visit relations alright. I think I’d nearly make do with paying as we use the Subway.

Is a debit card and cash enough to get by? Don’t have a credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

We’re heading to the Knicks Celtics in Madison Square Gardens, so where we’re staying is very near there.

Make sure you get food and drink before you head into MSG. It's horribly expensive in there even by NYC standards.
    As for travel, not sure we’ll even hit the 12 journey mark. Itinerary pretty full, basketball, Super Bowl, I’m heading out to Hawthorne to visit relations alright. I think I’d nearly make do with paying as we use the Subway.

You still probably save money on the ticket and it'll save you buying tickets at each station. Also, there is a small charge for buying those cards, fyi.
    Is a debit card and cash enough to get by? Don’t have a credit card.

Yep, you'll be fine with those. Make sure you tell your bank you are going to the US. Heard stories about them stopping people cards. Never happened to me though.

Berserker wrote: »
    Yep, you'll be fine with those. Make sure you tell your bank you are going to the US. Heard stories about them stopping people cards. Never happened to me though.

Great, thanks again.

Advertisement