Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Gadgets to help waking up

Options
  • 08-01-2019 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

Anyone good gadgets to help me up in the morning?

Have Phillips wake up light atm but sadly not doing the job, even with light on the maximum intensity.

Am thinking of getting ruggie, looks like could do the job. Would love any recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

Have you considered children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Put the phone at the other side of the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

I use numerous things to help get me up at 5am, on 2 occasions i overslept by roughly 7 hours for work (somehow didn’t get sacked but don’t want to chance it a third time)

Hue lights on at 5am
    Sonos on at 5am
    iPhone AND iPad alarms every 5min from 5am
    And as backup one of these at half 5 -

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2552271/Trail/searchtext%3EBELL+ALARM.htm

There’s no sleeping through that alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Patww79 wrote: »
    Put the phone at the other side of the room.

I have actually tried this. No matter how good my intentions the night before I always lack the discipline to get up even doing this. I somehow convince myself its too cold and to warm up under the covers or to chill out for another 5 till i'm fully awake.

blink44 wrote: »
    I use numerous things to help get me up at 5am, on 2 occasions i overslept by roughly 7 hours for work (somehow didn’t get sacked but don’t want to chance it a third time)

Hue lights on at 5am
    Sonos on at 5am
    iPhone AND iPad alarms every 5min from 5am
    And as backup one of these at half 5 -

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2552271/Trail/searchtext%3EBELL+ALARM.htm

There’s no sleeping through that alarm

Does the hue light fade in or just fully turn on at a certain time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I think the hue light fading on is a great feature.
    Its a nice gentle way to wake up during these dark days.

It can be set to fade on over a 10-30 minute timespan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Use fade on as well.

Have a lightstrip behind headboard that fades on first for ten minutes followed by the main bedroom light and lastly a light in the wardrobe by which time we are showered and looking for clothes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

D

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

The Appkettle is great motivation too knowing the kettle is already boiled downstairs for when I get up

I'm terrible at getting up. I put this in this in the shower

$_3.JPG?set_id=2

Once I turn it off, I'm already in the shower. Sometimes I still go to the shower, turn it off and go back to bed. I have to remind myself of how nice a warm shower is so that's my carrot on a stick until I'm awake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm terrible at getting up. I put this in this in the shower

Once I turn it off, I'm already in the shower. Sometimes I still go to the shower, turn it off and go back to bed. I have to remind myself of how nice a warm shower is so that's my carrot on a stick until I'm awake.

If you could set it up so that the shower turns on automatically when the alarm rings. In that way you'd have to get into the nice warm shower in order to turn off the alarm! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 69,009 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This little bastard: https://clocky.com/

The light fading on is handy, I've the phone doing that with the screen and I find myself more able for the alarm when it goes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Go to bed early enough that you get enough sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

RoRo979 wrote: »
    I have actually tried this. No matter how good my intentions the night before I always lack the discipline to get up even doing this. I somehow convince myself its too cold and to warm up under the covers or to chill out for another 5 till i'm fully awake.

A big comfortable dressing gown or hoodie you could put on over where you've left your phone could help with that.

For a while I took a couple of caffeine tablets the minute my alarm went off and 20 minutes later I was up and awake.

keane2097 wrote: »
    A big comfortable dressing gown or hoodie you could put on over where you've left your phone could help with that.

For a while I took a couple of caffeine tablets the minute my alarm went off and 20 minutes later I was up and awake.

I might try this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Put on an actual alarm clock, not a phone, on the other side of the room, well out of arm's reach or throwing distance. Even the cheapest alarm clock will wake you and the beeping will get faster/louder/more annoying the longer you leave it. Also, scatter Lego and three-pin plugs and small toy animals made of stiff plastic around your room before you settle down, making sure to leave shoes/slippers beside the clock. Next morning, when the alarm goes off, leap out of bed and encounter the minefield you laid the night before. By the time you reach the clock and get your slippers on, you will be wide awake, bursting with adrenalin and pain and ready to face the day. The next night, do it again, except randomly scatter the traps a bit more. By night three, you will have become accustomed to leaping out of bed, creeping around like a ninja in total darkness, finding and silencing the clock and you will be a new man.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There are apps for your phone were you have to take a picture of a certain object to turn the alarm off. You tell it what you want to use as the off picture.

But after spending years living with someone who was always late for work. They used to get up, open the garage, unlock and take the bike out of the garage, start it, call into work and then go back to bed. The only way to get up is to want to and go to bed earlier, or get kids, which has the same person now getting up at 3am for work no problem.

Go to bed early enough that you get enough sleep?

Anything other than a natural wake up results in a tired wake up, and my body will happily sleep 10-11 hours before naturally waking up. Think its a matter of forcing a new sleep schedule with consistent bed and wake time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

I don't believe tech will help people wake up and stop the snoozing.

If you were catching a flight to go on holidays, bet you wouldn't snooze.

Set goals and have a motivation to get up.

OP, why do you want to get up early?

• Advertisement

colm_c wrote: »
    I don't believe tech will help people wake up and stop the snoozing.

If you were catching a flight to go on holidays, bet you wouldn't snooze.

Set goals and have a motivation to get up.

OP, why do you want to get up early?

Mainly discipline building, trying to get important tasks completed early on in the day. Do some learning, go to the gym, work on flexibility. Get it out of the way early and then you dont need to worry about it for the rest of the day. Issue is I usually sleep in to the point where I dont have time to do it in the morning and hence more often than not end up missing some important tasks in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Make a plan and goals.

Execution is the hard part and requires some discipline.

All the tech in the world won't save you I'm afraid.

colm_c wrote: »
    Make a plan and goals.

Execution is the hard part and requires some discipline.

All the tech in the world won't save you I'm afraid.

Plans and goals was step 1, did that long time ago :)

Now I am just trying to consistently execute the plan, everytime I wake up early I do. Personally I find the app "sleep with android" has actually been a considerable help. Furthermore, anecdotal evidence shows people have great success with Phillips wake up light/hue so there definitely is some hope.

Maybe you just had a bad experience, maybe what didn't work for you will work for me, maybe what works for everyone wont work for me, or maybe what works for others will also work for me. I wont know unless I ask and try :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Nothing works as well as just getting the hell out of bed when the alarm goes off. Or else all your important stuff really isn’t important to you at all.

For most people their job is the reason, which is about as unimportant as it gets.

Advertisement