Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir has been a waste of money to everybody – customers, gov.ie, s'holders.. planet

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Impetus wrote: »
    I know somebody who did everything in his power to get the political bots to move from electromechanical crossbar 'telephone exchanges' to AXE and E10B back in the day. Money was being squirted down the drain on old platforms at the time. Which brought us to the ISDN level - which was priced to death by the state monopoly. And still is. And while it has since (in tech terms) been replaced with IP (eg VoIP and 10GB internet), few have access to it and Ireland seems to be the most lethargic to GB broadband etc in the world (not just Europe). Switzerland has 10GB internet thanks to the same guy who controls most of Eir's share capital. Siro is sick. I don't live in Ireland, but have an inherited house there which I visit from time to time. After Christmas I noticed Siro (ie a non-Siro branded ESB truck platoon installing fiber on the road. Yet when I enter the 'postcode', there is no info on future availability. I called one of the service providers using the Siro platform and he predicted that it might take six months before the next bureaucratic thing happens - a form from ESB Networks for permission to connect fiber to your house. (The guys on the road were finished the job within a half an hour, as one of them told me). And fine, when I visit the house I have cable internet at the top speed they offer, which degrades in speed in the evenings - insufficient backhaul to cover demand. So some might call me a spoilt brat - especially those in rual areas waiting for 1 MBits/sec or whatever. We are all suffering from the same sick state set-up.

Many of these former gov operations (not to mention many current gov agencies) have total contempt for the customer, who they seem to treat like a victim to pay their salary/pension, sans innovation. There are exceptions.

Unfortunately the mentality is deep in the culture, pre/post privatisation ethos. And the 'legal system' in Ireland seems to be primed to protect them. Not that I am criticising the court system which provide a good service given resources allocated to them, and the poorly writen and antiquated statute and 'common laws' they preside over. However many employees of ex-state companies, to the highest level seem to be above regulation and legal control and can do what they like, irrespective of law, morals or the resources made available to them.

TV in Ireland is stuck in Anglo-Saxon land linguistically speaking, leaving many school leavers non-viable linguistic capable bots in a European business culture. Forcing IRL to import language speakers, who can't get a house or apartment unless they work for a financial organisation or similar to pay the high cost of same - again due to planning and public transport incompetence all governments have prosided over for decades.

It is a total mess. We are left with a society that goes from economic crash to boom to crash - zero sustainability. Almost zero broadband. Zero public transport *system* - and that includes high speed data, as well as trains, trams, buses, furnicular rail, water ferries, etc

1. "Many of these former gov operations (not to mention many current gov agencies) have total contempt for the customer."

Might seem like contempt to you - but they were privatized and can't survive in a sparsely populated country and provide the same level of service at the price you've become accustomed to.
    Pop density Switzerland=212 sq. km and Ireland =70 sq. km.
    So 3 times the density!

2. "Not that I am criticising the court system which provide a good service given resources allocated to them."

Court system in Ireland is one of the few things you could argue needs to be singled out for major reform - there is no political will as long as the 2 are so tightly coupled.

3. "TV in Ireland is stuck in Anglo-Saxon land linguistically speaking, leaving many school leavers non-viable linguistic capable bots in a European business culture."

Since when did TV = Education ?
    Language has never been less important to us in Ireland or the world. With technology breaking down those barriers very quickly.
    We're also in the fortunate position that English is the international language of business.

We need engineers scientists and doctors not multilingual call centre workers.

Your earlier rants were daft but this last one shows you up as been completely detached from all realities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Annoying shill, only suitable course of action for you.

XqFkYEM.png

Advertisement