Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday entitlements

Options
  • 08-01-2019 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Could anyone tell me how many days holiday is a person entitled to if they are on a 10 month contract (permanent in childcare 39 hrs per week). I have googled the answer to this question but could only find information based on amount of hours worked etc.
    For example An employee who has worked at least 1,365 hours in the leave year is entitled to the maximum of 4 working weeks’ annual leave, is it the same entitlement for employees who work over this amount of hours but over a 10 month period instead of 12?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If the person only works a 39hr week for 10 months then the holidays are pro-rata. In other words, divide 20 days by 12 (1.66) and multiply by 10 (16.6).
    A reasonable employer will therefore give at least 17 days off.

Another way to approximate it is 8% of hours worked.
    39 x 43 = 1688hrs x 0.08 = 135hrs = 3.46 working weeks x 5 = 17.3 days
    Same result but in this example the 1365hrs regulation kicks in so 20 days are due.

These are the legal minima. Employers can and often do give more.

On the other hand if the same person worked the equivalent of 39hrs a week over a year, but did so in 10 months, and is paid hourly, then the 8% of hours worked kicks in again
    But the overtime has to be official and paid. Regularly hanging on late in a salaried role won't entitle you to the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is it a 10-month contract, or do you get a 10-month salary spread out over 12, like a teacher?

Because in that case any entitlement to leave is used up during the two months you're off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭smallgarden

dm1979 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Could anyone tell me how many days holiday is a person entitled to if they are on a 10 month contract (permanent in childcare 39 hrs per week). I have googled the answer to this question but could only find information based on amount of hours worked etc.
    For example An employee who has worked at least 1,365 hours in the leave year is entitled to the maximum of 4 working weeks’ annual leave, is it the same entitlement for employees who work over this amount of hours but over a 10 month period instead of 12?

(c) 8 per cent. of the hours he or she works in a leave year (but subject to a maximum of 4 working weeks):
    Which works out about 24 days for 10 months

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭dm1979

Many thanks for the replies, it was the pro rata information I was missing ðŸ‘

Advertisement