Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Completely agree.
    Not related to the Nurses or midwives looking for a raise mind.

We agree on something Matt:)

My maths is fine, I spend a large portion of my day calculating doses and drawing up vital drugs. Thank you.

I could argue with you here but I won't even bother, I can see your blue shirt a mile away, it'll be pointless. As I said to the poster above, I hope sickness never darkens your door and you have to be cared for under our current conditions.
    To be fair, economic maths is different to dose calculations. I can calculate creatinine clearance in my head but I can't fathom the universal social charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

She's right. I'm paid 14 Euro an hour before tax. I could work in Aldi for 11.50 an hour for work which is considered unskilled and responsibility levels cannot be compared.

Post up a recent payslip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Mrsmum wrote: »
    This, that Irish nurses are poorly paid, has been measured and found to be untrue. They are actually second highest regarding pay. But from listening to nurses speaking on the media I think really the problem is nurses are not actually comparing their pay to other nurses at the same grade across the world, instead some of them are hearing of better lifestyles abroad and almost looking for compensation that they themselves due to family commitments or whatever are stuck here and some of them are comparing their pay to physiotherapists etc which is a totally new ballgame. Are all degrees supposed to be the same nowadays.

They're probably not poorly paid in terms of the basic numbers, the question is are they fairly compensated for the nature of the work they do and is their pay in line with the cost of living in Ireland?

People that work in stressful, high responsibility roles in other fields expect to be compensated accordingly, so they can afford a level of comfort to make the hardship worthwhile. I don't blame the nurses for looking for higher pay, but it's a poor second to the whole country standing up and demanding that the cost of living be addressed here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

What does that work out per annum?

Did you both do maths in school. ? If you have a phone , try look for the calculator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

She's right. I'm paid 14 Euro an hour before tax. I could work in Aldi for 11.50 an hour for work which is considered unskilled and responsibility levels cannot be compared.

You must be on the first point in the salary scale then. No graduate just out of college is on a decent salary.

I don't think because somebody works in a supermarket that they are unskilled. Also, people in supermarkets don't tend to have increments.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

A two second google will bring up a recent payslip posted by an Irish nurse, who as far as I remember was on a higher point of the scale than I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

I don't think because somebody works in a supermarket that they are unskilled. Also, people in supermarkets don't tend to have increments.

I don't think it's unskilled either. I think it takes a certain level of skill to deal with the public day to day as part of your work. I said it is considered "unskilled work", I.e. you don't need any qualifications to undertake the job. I thought that was fairly apparent.

And they may nits have increments, they also don't have to work Xmas day etc.

• Advertisement

It's like 14.90 per hour for the first year of nursing excluding allowances.

As an aside, I started out on less as a hospital pharmacist than 14 euro an hour.

Just calculated it there 11euro an hour back in 2014.
    Currently on 33euro an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Do the maths.New graduate (€30000 ÷ 52) ÷ 39 = €14.79 per hour,fairly easy to calculate.

I don't think it's unskilled either. I think it takes a certain level of skill to deal with the public day to day as part of your work. I said it is considered "unskilled work", I.e. you don't need any qualifications to undertake the job. I thought that was fairly apparent.

And they may nits have increments, they also don't have to work Xmas day etc.

I've had to work Christmas day/new year's day, lots of bank holidays. It's part and parcel of working in a hospital.

That guy just on the RTÉ news representing the inmo came across very well !! Tough questions were put to him and he answered every one of them very well I feel. Worth a watch on the player. The oecd stats were put to him and he basically said those stats were completely misrepresented

Also , was kinda shocked when the reporter said there is talk of health care assistant to take over from the theatre nurses so the theatre nurses can be freed up for elsewhere !! Good god !!! Just get more porters in to do it !! Madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Yes, but in 5 years time you'll be on a lot more through increments than you would be in Aldi. Nevermind the defined benefit pension at the end of your career. It's not as bad as you make out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Don't we need to put the money into more beds?

I remember school. The vast majority of money went to salaries for people with nothing left over for our facilities. I remember freezing my ass off in a prefab during Irish class in first year.

More salaries, more wages, more pay. But nothing about improving the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Yes, but in 5 years time you'll be on a lot more through increments than you would be in Aldi. Nevermind the defined benefit pension at the end of your career. It's not as bad as you make out.

Who is "you"?.I was only responding to a poster who couldn't be bothered to do a simple bit of arithmetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

It's like 14.90 per hour for the first year of nursing excluding allowances.

As an aside, I started out on less as a hospital pharmacist than 14 euro an hour.

Just calculated it there 11euro an hour back in 2014.
    Currently on 33euro an hour.

I didn't realise pharmacists made that much. That's some higher grade or industry presumably. If you graduated as a doctor in 2014 you wouldn't be making 33e an hour even if you didn't work as a reg and went straight on to an spr scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

What point are you trying to make here?

Something is drastically wrong in the HSE, nobody is arguing that?

I also have to pay health insurance?

I just don't like paying for a service I'm not getting, I don't think that's unreasonable y'all might be wonderful nurses but that's no good if you can't get into the friggin hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Government will have to compromise but don't think they will give full payrise. Realistically if they want to recruit further salary and conditions need to be competitive

• Advertisement

hawkelady wrote: »
    That guy just on the RTÉ news representing the inmo came across very well !! Tough questions were put to him and he answered every one of them very well I feel. Worth a watch on the player. The oecd stats were put to him and he basically said those stats were completely misrepresented

Basically said they are misrepresented?? sounds convincing.

I didn't realise pharmacists made that much. That's some higher grade or industry presumably. If you graduated as a doctor in 2014 you wouldn't be making 33e an hour even if you didn't work as a reg and went straight on to an spr scheme.

Hmmm. I'm a senior pharmacist in an acute hospital. I was poached from the NHS essentially. If I locum. I earn about 50-60 euro an hour in the community. If pharmacists weren't paid so highly, we wouldn't work in the HSE.

To be fair, I do agree that doctors in the HSE are underpaid but that is more of a result of your consultants screwing ye over.

I still earn less than I would have in 2008 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭1641

The RTE figures I have seen related to this have shown we are paid much the same etc. as certain other countries failed to compare the cost of living in these countries. Cost of living here at present has spiralled and it's becoming impossible to sustain and quality of life with the way things are.
    Seanachai wrote: »
    They're probably not poorly paid in terms of the basic numbers, the question is are they fairly compensated for the nature of the work they do and is their pay in line with the cost of living in Ireland?

This keeps comng up. So apologies for repeating this -

But our pay scales do not compare unfavourably with Australia and the UK, where most who emigrate apparently go. The Public Service Pay Commission (with significant union people on board) concluded :

“Compared to a new entrant nurse in the English NHS, a new entrant nurse in Ireland earns 21 per cent more in basic pay based on current exchange rates. While allowances and promotional opportunities differ across jurisdictions, a nurse at the top of the HSE staff nurse scale would earn 39 per cent more than a nurse at the top of the NHS England B and 5 scale.

“More broadly, OECD nursing remuneration data show that, in purchasing power parity terms, Irish nursing pay (including allowances and premium payments) between 2007 and 2017 was consistently on a par with Australia and higher than New Zealand, Canada and the UK,” notes the spending review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

hawkelady wrote: »

He's a union head, a descendent of josef goebels in terms of presenting a message

Plus rte interviewing public sector unions is the same deal as Monica lewinsky in the oval office circa 1998

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Great camaraderie on the pickets in Cork today, despite the weather.

Plenty of people beeping.
    Red FM did a great piece talking to nurses on the picket and taking calls from supporters.

Lots of parents with young children affected by strike saying they were very supportive and understanding, given the difficult conditions they work in.

Keep it up!

Red FM did a great piece talking to nurses on the picket and taking calls from supporters.

Lots of parents with young children affected by strike saying they were very supportive and understanding, given the difficult conditions they work in.

Keep it up!

I heard “ just eat” handed out pizzas to the pickets at a few Dublin hospitals today and the fire brigade lads turned up with soup and sandwiches
    Costa coffee provided the coffee !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Was watching the news earlier on, last week when they talked to the strikers we were told it wasn't about money but about conditions and the welfare of patients.

They changed their tune today saying they wanted the pay rise.

Was watching the news earlier on, last week when they talked to the strikers we were told it wasn't about money but about conditions and the welfare of patients.

They changed their tune today saying they wanted the pay rise.

Who doesn't want a pay rise? If nurses get this pay rise, I would imagine pharmacists will get it within a year. An extra 9k would be handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Media with a clear bias, turning a deaf ear to the other side. Quality journalism Red FM.

Who doesn't want a pay rise? If nurses get this pay rise, I would imagine pharmacists will get it within a year. An extra 9k would be handy.

So how come they didn't come right out and say it last week then?

A week ago the money wasn't important we were told, it was all about improving working conditions and patient care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Keep it up!

And a payrise is going to change that how exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

I'm in community on €40.50 p/h. Pharmacists out earn doctors until they become GPs/consultants.

So how come they didn't come right out and say it last week then?

A week ago the money wasn't important we were told, it was all about improving working conditions and patient care.

Because optics.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Once again, can I remind people. it's not a "pay rise" it's some pay restoration. And considering the "temporary"FEMPI has now being made permanent, not remotely as expensive as Leo and co. want to make out.

I'm in community on €40.50 p/h. Pharmacists out earn doctors until they become GPs/consultants.

As an aside, I believe that pharmacists whether they work in community or hospital are underpaid. If community pharmacists went on strike, healthcare in Ireland would grind to a halt. They do terrific work and very much underappreciated by the general public. Hospital doctors can make horrific mistakes on discharges and community pharmacists are the last defence.

Once again, can I remind people. it's not a "pay rise" it's some pay restoration. And considering the "temporary"FEMPI has now being made permanent, not remotely as expensive as Leo and co. want to make out.

12% isn't a pay restoration. It's a pay increase. I don't know how many times I can say this but everybody in the HSE earns less than they did in 2008.

As an aside, I believe that pharmacists whether they work in community or hospital are underpaid. If community pharmacists went on strike, healthcare in Ireland would grind to a halt. They do terrific work and very much underappreciated by the general public. Hospital doctors can make horrific mistakes on discharges and community pharmacists are the last defence.

That's the benefits of privatization. They can't cause the same disruption so striking is pointless. Llyods were on strike recently and no one battered an eyelid.

I hope the Govt response of this strike is far more privatization of routine health care.

Noteworthy that the nurses aren't striking at the private hospitals

And if they get the money I'd bet the house you lot will be the next in line to strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

How is that none of the INMO representatives are calling it Pay restoration?

They are calling it a pay rise and justifying it on the basis of low staff numbers and seeking parity with other degree qualified professions.

• Advertisement

salonfire wrote: »
    That's the benefits of privatization. They can't cause the same disruption so striking is pointless. Llyods were on strike recently and no one battered an eyelid.

I hope the Govt response of this strike is far more privatization of routine health care.

Noteworthy that the nurses aren't striking at the private hospitals

That was more about Lloyds using zero hour contracts to employ pharmacists and not been able to unionised. Lloyds is a horrible company who do not have patients interests at heart. The same for boots.

I've been encouraged to sell magnetic bracelets for arthritis whilst working at boots by the store manager. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a homeopathic range these days. ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

No wonder even one horse towns have at least two pharmacies

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Well, people need meds. So it would make sense. The fact that there is only a limited number of pharmacists qualifying every year, hence why the pay is high. If brexit happens, there will be a huge lack of pharmacists in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭daithi7

Re The Nurses Strike

An overly aggressive industrial action by a pampered section of the public service who:

1. Are paid significantly more than their their equivalent counterparts in the UK

2. who are already enjoying very generous salary increases under the public sector pay deal increases (paid out of one off corporate tax takings, but due annually in pertuity)

Finally, the nursing union's stated concerns for patient welfare are now shown to be totally & completely bogus. The unions rejected the government's offer to address the non wage claims. It's now perfectly clear that they're just after wage rises ahead of the rest of the working population in Ireland, who of course must fund them, while working fewer hours than most. Pathetic!!!

P.s. Nurses are not the equivalent of physios and other paramedics. Their entry level is not as high, they do not do as demanding a degree ( indeed does nursing really warrant a degree course!?!), and they spend less time in vocational training than physios, Ots, specialist paramedics,etc, etc But of course, they want to be paid the same (or in fact more, cos they would then also "need" over time to top up their cushy 37.5hour week) Their claims are Bogus!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

14hrs waiting for my nephew to get seen to in the Lourdes in Drogheda last August... He wasn't even on their radar because he wasn't in total agony or dying... Will the nurses speed up now if they get their demands,.and have they been on a 'go slow' for the past year leading up to this!?this is a genuine question I'm not trolling just angry,.I know they're understaffed but the waiting times are shockingly bad,.care, empathy and attention are nearly non existent, even at the reception of a&e......
    Anyway I hope they get what they want,. And just cheer up and work hard to the best of their ability.

14hrs waiting for my nephew to get seen to in the Lourdes in Drogheda last August... He wasn't even on their radar because he wasn't in total agony or dying... Will the nurses speed up now if they get their demands,.and have they been on a 'go slow' for the past year leading up to this!?this is a genuine question I'm not trolling just angry,.I know they're understaffed but the waiting times are shockingly bad,.care, empathy and attention are nearly non existent, even at the reception of a&e......
    Anyway I hope they get what they want,. And just cheer up and work hard to the best of their ability.

Ask the HSE managers.

We pump 14 billion a year into it for poor results.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Wow, that's 15e an hour more than I made as a 1st year reg and more than a final year SpR would make. I'm starting to feel underpaid myself now.

Wow, that's 15e an hour more than I made as a 1st year reg and more than a final year SpR would make. I'm starting to feel underpaid myself now.

You are underpaid, mate.

Ye work crazy hours. Plus ye were left to hang out to dry by your consultants. I feel sorry for doctors in Ireland due to lack of support. I would have never ****ed over the basic grade pharmacists the way the consultants did to ye.

You are underpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I think Leo should try and import foreign nurses to cross the picket lines and see how long they continue strike...

Union's are actual scum, they agreed a pay deal a few years ago...needed to make themselves relevant, and justify their union fee's. It's utter greed and I hope nobody dies while they are on strike(trying to grease their paws)

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Shortage of labor + high level of education needed + leverage of not being able to open the door of a Pharmacy without a pharmacist inside = high wages

• Advertisement
Advertisement