Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

queries on looking for a new job

Options
  • 08-01-2019 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have been employed part time for the last 15 years in a job which suited my circumstances in that time. The pay is great for the hours worked but the downside is the boss is a nightmare to work for. All the staff only put up with him because mostly they are desperate for the money. Long story short, I've been worn away by his petty behaviour now to such an extent that I'm very close to just uping and leaving (albeit it working out my notice) but without having anything to go to. Luckily I'm not totally financially dependant on a new job but I would like to contine working. I work in the admin/customer service area. Can anyone recommend how best to look for new employment. Having been out of the market place for this lenght, I am not au fait with how best to proceed. I see the jobs advertised online but presume my chances of getting one of them are slim due to the number of candidates putting themselves in the pot. Are employment agencies the best way to go or would cold calling with CVs around my area be best? Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Absolutely do apply online - why not? There is zero downside. Do a good CV, get it reviewed, get your LinkedIn good an up to date, contact recruiters, tell your friends and contacts, research local companies and apply online for any jobs that are listed n their websites.

If you are serious, you will do all these things! Never avoid applying. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

- Apply for jobs online (cover letter tailored for each job, and your up to date resume)
    - Ring agencies to see if they've any work for you
    - Apply direct to companies (speculative) you'd like to work for

The more effort you make, the greater the chance of getting a job.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for your replies and support. I have a little more faith in the on line applications now. Another question if I may. I noticed a lot of the employment agencies advertising for temp workers. This I think might be a good way to make the move from current job to the unknown. Thinking if I put my name down with a few agencies, I might be able to pick up regular work but not sure if the pickings are good. Anyone got any personal insights?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

You should put your name down and see. As I said above, never pull back from applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Thanks for your replies and support. I have a little more faith in the on line applications now. Another question if I may. I noticed a lot of the employment agencies advertising for temp workers. This I think might be a good way to make the move from current job to the unknown. Thinking if I put my name down with a few agencies, I might be able to pick up regular work but not sure if the pickings are good. Anyone got any personal insights?

An ex of mine used to do temping. She used Hay's Recruitment. They were reliable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement