Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The opportunities of a hard Brexit

Options
  • 09-01-2019 4:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

If there is a hard Brexit, Ireland will need to engage with other EU member states in a way that was not really necessary when the UK was a member. This will be good for the mindset of Ireland. It will be a reason to learn other languages, after all, why should 400 million people learn English just to suit 4 million Irish people who are too lazy to even learn their own language.

Besides, if the next recession ends what passes for capitalism in the US and the UK, then those countries could be less relevant economically to the rest of the world as they were in the past. I mean, during the Cold war, Russia and China were only relevant in so far as they could inflict great damage if there was a hot war but economically, they were non entities.

I doubt the US or the UK could stomach irrelevance. They would probably prefer to start a war and blame other countries for it, but I am digressing.

A hard Brexit offers tremendous opportunities for Ireland to redefine itself and differentiate itself from the UK, and prehaps in time we will speak another language, if not Irish, then at least not English. Am I wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Chain of language schools seems like a banker then!

I just cant see Ireland adopting a new language even in the next 100 years let alone in our lifetimes just seems so highly unlikely. In the the next few years the tech will have developed to such a point where it just won't be necessary at all. I would imagine that in 10 years time there will be a lot less translators than there are now as it will all be done by software instead.

Theres definitely going to be opportunities no matter what happens. Depending where things lie with the border that could be incredibly profitable if there becomes some loophole for bringing things into the UK via Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sysprogrammer

you called 4 million Irish people 'lazy'. Yes you are wrong :-)

My iphone can translate pretty much anything into French ,German, Mandarin and enough languages to beat an intermediate speaker.

the rest of the post belongs in a blog.

Advertisement