Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing threads- "This matter is before the courts"

Options
  • 09-01-2019 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

Saw a thread closed last night because a matter was before the courts. Obviously I get the liability factor when it's in our jurisdiction but how far does this go?

Are cases from the U.K. off limits?
    The wider E.U.?
    Is it the Anglosphere countries perhaps?

Just wondering what the ruling is.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It boils down to balancing discussion with the likelihood that that discussion could interfere with the judicial process. The vast majority of non Irish cases are extremely unlikely to be affected by discussion on this site but when there is a significant Irish interest in a foreign case, such as the accused or victim or both being Irish, then it becomes far more likely that discussion here could have a bearing on the due process in a foreign territory.

I like to use the threshold of "how likely is it that a person interested in the case (such as a juror) would search out Irish discussion of the case"?

While the Australian or other foreign courts may not have jurisdiction over boards.ie, I believe there is at least some moral obligation not to be reckless when it comes to the administration of justice by allowing discussion that could very well collapse a case elsewhere in the right circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

On the other hand, hulla, the jaw-droppingly mind-bogglingly intellectual and analytical depth of those first six posts ..... !!!

Surely you must feel some shred of guilt for depriving the world of such wisdom?! ... such insightful, philosophical, perspicacious, sagacious and profound insights into the very nature of human existence?!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,349 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

While I don't report posts, the OP in the closed thread would be a good one to start with. A typo I'm sure. :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    While I don't report posts, the OP in the closed thread would be a good one to start with. A typo I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Thanks - I've corrected that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

On the other hand, hulla, the jaw-droppingly mind-bogglingly intellectual and analytical depth of those first six posts ..... !!!

Surely you must feel some shred of guilt for depriving the world of such wisdom?! ... such insightful, philosophical, perspicacious, sagacious and profound insights into the very nature of human existence?!
    Shur that could be said about any thread on After Hours. Silly comment.

Anyway why would an Australian court case be out of bounds for discussion here?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Shur that could be said about any thread on After Hours. Silly comment.

Anyway why would an Australian court case be out of bounds for discussion here?
    It boils down to balancing discussion with the likelihood that that discussion could interfere with the judicial process. The vast majority of non Irish cases are extremely unlikely to be affected by discussion on this site but when there is a significant Irish interest in a foreign case, such as the accused or victim or both being Irish, then it becomes far more likely that discussion here could have a bearing on the due process in a foreign territory.

I like to use the threshold of "how likely is it that a person interested in the case (such as a juror) would search out Irish discussion of the case"?

While the Australian or other foreign courts may not have jurisdiction over boards.ie, I believe there is at least some moral obligation not to be reckless when it comes to the administration of justice by allowing discussion that could very well collapse a case elsewhere in the right circumstances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Fair enough with regards to cases taking place in Ireland, or Northern Ireland, but I think you're going a bit far closing that thread

Advertisement