Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools - Croagh/Adare area

• 09-01-2019 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We are moving from Cork city to this area in the summer, and I am looking to see what the schools in the area are like.

Are there any particular ones which are good/bad? Hard to get into? We have 2 boys, one will be starting junior infants and the older going into 4th class.

We both work so will need something with afterschool care in the area too.

Any guidance would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

I am very happy with St. Nicholas Adare; one of my sons went all through and now the other is going. The school is a small Church of Ireland school with three classrooms, nice parent community, very nice teachers. No uniform and a very personal and friendly approach to children.

However, if you are specifically in "Croagh/Adare", you are probably on the wrong side of Adare village, as this school is on the Limerick side. Adare has significant traffic problems, so driving your child to school from the Croagh side *might* be somewhat frustrating. But things depend on your exact location as there are some "rat runs" around the village available depending on where you are. There also are Bus Eireann-run school buses. which might come to your area.

There is also a Boys School in Adare (closer to the Croagh end) and there is Shountrade National School which, depending on your exact location, just might be most convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TinaT2C

Thanks Michael, have had experience with the Adare traffic, the Limerick side is probably a bit awkward alright!

We were originally thinking Croagh NS, but I've been told the childcare provider there doesn't do after school, so we are having to look further afield. Shountrade looks good location wise though, will look into if there is someone doing afterschool collections. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 YeaYeaSure

TinaT2C wrote: »
    Thanks Michael, have had experience with the Adare traffic, the Limerick side is probably a bit awkward alright!

We were originally thinking Croagh NS, but I've been told the childcare provider there doesn't do after school, so we are having to look further afield. Shountrade looks good location wise though, will look into if there is someone doing afterschool collections. Cheers.

Shountrade is a very good school don't know much about after school there though. Within 5-6 mins of croagh you have St. james National school Cappagh also which has a new community creche for before and after school, may be slightly far for your needs thogh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TinaT2C

Thanks, Shountrade seems like a good option will contact the school and check about spaces.

Unfortunately the creche in Cappagh will only take them in after school if they have been there since toddlers, so that isn't an option for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jankouskas87

Shountrade was a very good school when I attended back in the 90s and still is I believe.St Nick's is also very good I believe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement