Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US SIM card temporarily in phone

Options
  • 09-01-2019 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

I have an unlocked iPhone and will be travelling to the States soon and I have a US sim that I intend to use for calls/data. I also plan on downloading a Lyft/Uber app for getting around.

What happens my iCloud data (contacts, notes, calendar etc.) while the US sim is in the phone? Can it still be accessed? In other words, is iCloud attached to the sim or the phone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It won't affect your iCloud data, your iCloud data is tied to your Apple ID and nothing to do with your phone number. The only problem is that people who iMessage you at your Irish phone number won't be able to contact you unless you start an iMessage chat with them with your US sim in your phone (or switch to using your email address as your iMessage).

Bear in mind if you have 2fa (two-factor authentication) enabled on your online accounts you won't be able to get the SMS', if you use an authenticator app or don't use 2fa then disregard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Cool, thanks.

So I won’t be logged out of my Apple ID when I switch sims then?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

You shouldn't be but the iPhone will disable FaceID/TouchID temporarily and request you to manually enter in your passcode for security purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

I have an unlocked iPhone and will be travelling to the States soon and I have a US sim that I intend to use for calls/data. I also plan on downloading a Lyft/Uber app for getting around.

What happens my iCloud data (contacts, notes, calendar etc.) while the US sim is in the phone? Can it still be accessed? In other words, is iCloud attached to the sim or the phone?

I used my old iPhone 6 in LA last summer. Set it up as new phone and bought a A T & T pre paid. All calls and texts in USA free and I purchased a $5 add on for 150 mins international to call Ireland AND unlimited data for 30 days. All for $70 approx. Have a USA itunes account too for downloading Uber etc. Also downloaded ABC and NBC apps for watching programmes. Guy in the A T & T stores put the sim in and set me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

knockon wrote: »
    I used my old iPhone 6 in LA last summer. Set it up as new phone and bought a A T & T pre paid. All calls and texts in USA free and I purchased a $5 add on for 150 mins international to call Ireland AND unlimited data for 30 days. All for $70 approx. Have a USA itunes account too for downloading Uber etc. Also downloaded ABC and NBC apps for watching programmes. Guy in the A T & T stores put the sim in and set me up.
    for the next time you can by a 20 piound 3 uk sim that has data and mins etc that has free roaming in us, thread in Bargain Alerts with all the details

• Advertisement
Advertisement