Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Golfer Event

Options
  • 09-01-2019 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever played in one of these? About a dozen of them each year with category winners qualifying for a big shin dig in October at a Grand Final.

Would be interested to hear about them and what people's experiences were?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭davegilly

bailey99 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever played in one of these? About a dozen of them each year with category winners qualifying for a big shin dig in October at a Grand Final.

Would be interested to hear about them and what people's experiences were?

I played one at the K Club last year. It’s an enjoyable event but it’s essentially just an open competition at a nice golf course. The goodie bag and being announced onto the tee are nice touches too.

I would play it again if it was local to me but it wouldn’t bother me if I never played it again either!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

davegilly wrote: »
    I played one at the K Club last year. It’s an enjoyable event but it’s essentially just an open competition at a nice golf course. The goodie bag and being announced onto the tee are nice touches too.

I would play it again if it was local to me but it wouldn’t bother me if I never played it again either!

I played in Powerscourt event last year and would second the comments above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Are they expensive to play in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

are these and the 'top golfer' events one and the same or separate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

Irish Golfer don't have a raffle at the end of the day whereas I think Golf Digest event do have a raffle.

• Advertisement

davegilly wrote: »

What was in the goodie bags can you remember? And do they have food/drink stations out on the course as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I think it is a bit rich of them to ask members of the courses they pay to pay a €40 entry fee.

having said that, some of their events are at decent tracks and €60 is good value for some of them Baltray, Kileen, Powerscourt, Lough Erne -never played it yet) . Some!... not all, Bunclody is great, but not worth €60. Luttrelstown is over the road from me, a great course, I love it, but I wouldn't pay €60 to play it.
    I do realise there is added value to the events in prizes and goodies but I really don't need another baseball cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭davegilly

bailey99 wrote: »
    What was in the goodie bags can you remember? And do they have food/drink stations out on the course as well?
    A banana :)

There was other stuff as well - A voucher for a free club fitting session at Mcguirks, a magazine, vouchers for other stuff I can't remember and a sleeve of Srixon distance balls.

There were no food/drink stations that I can remember - there was fruit and energy drinks available on the first tee as well.

I think it was €50 to play the event. It was the Smurfit Course at the K Club on one of the nicest days last year which definitely helped me enjoy it more!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sounds like the Golf Digest ones but they have hot food at halfway, cans/fruit every third or fourth hole and a (decent) raffle for those who stick around to the end...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

I think they are much better than the golf digest events. The order of merit table really add a classic tour feel to the season where the top 10 players, outside of those already qualified from winning events, make it through to the grand final as well.

The lack of food stations doesn’t bother me either as the early groups just raid them with senseless greed and there is ample stock on the first tee to get you through the round.

The lack of a burger is fine too as it cuts 15 minutes off what are generally long rounds anyway.

I would thoroughly recommend the whole experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

I play the 3 day event down summer trophy they do each year, taking over from golf digest last year €250 is the cost to pay but considering that's the green fee alone in RCD I think its great value. First few years played was alternate between spa, st Patrick's and then ardglass and royal county down. Last year ardglass was off due to a big ladies comp but back again this year. There's a welcome evening with a few complimentary scoops and food, 3 days competition golf with goodie bag of balls, cap, magazine tees, more drinks, fruit, bars than you will need at regular intervals on the course, bar RCD which only has it on first and 10th. Personal announcement on first tee just to test the nerves!! And a fantastic meal in slieve donard final night with prize giving and a couple of more drinks thrown in. Haven't won anything but getting closer each year. And made loads of friends now from Ireland and further afar that also attend every year. Put it on a to do list for ardglass and RCD alone. B+B runs at about €150 for the 4 nights it's a fun break.

Always found the €60 or so fee for stand alone events steep enough but going to play the carton/Monty one this year as I love design of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭gawoo1012

i've played in a few of the Golf Digest events. decent set up and prizes plus a burger after 9 etc. I was fortunate to win one of them last summer. hung around for the presentation so got my prize which was the cheapest driver callaway offers ..the x series which is about €185. Far cry from the m3 they used to offer. Also, they took my details and assured that they would contact for the Grand Final details. never heard from them since. if you look at FB, there are several posts about prizes not handed out. Golf Digest refuse to answer any calls, emails or posts. I'm interested to see if they did one last money grab or if they will peddle their wares again in 2019

gawoo1012 wrote: »
    i've played in a few of the Golf Digest events. decent set up and prizes plus a burger after 9 etc. I was fortunate to win one of them last summer. hung around for the presentation so got my prize which was the cheapest driver callaway offers ..the x series which is about €185. Far cry from the m3 they used to offer. Also, they took my details and assured that they would contact for the Grand Final details. never heard from them since. if you look at FB, there are several posts about prizes not handed out. Golf Digest refuse to answer any calls, emails or posts. I'm interested to see if they did one last money grab or if they will peddle their wares again in 2019

That's a bit harsh on you in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

gawoo1012 wrote: »

That’s a disgrace. Shocking bad form. Looking at their website and it looks like their tour season is now defunct. No 2019 schedule posted. They would always have it published in December each year. Good riddance on that basis.

morrga wrote: »
    That’s a disgrace. Shocking bad form. Looking at their website and it looks like their tour season is now defunct. No 2019 schedule posted. They would always have it published in December each year. Good riddance on that basis.

Better to support Irish Golfer by the sounds of it so!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,053 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Seve OB wrote: »
    I think it is a bit rich of them to ask members of the courses they pay to pay a €40 entry fee.

having said that, some of their events are at decent tracks and €60 is good value for some of them Baltray, Kileen, Powerscourt, Lough Erne -never played it yet) . Some!... not all, Bunclody is great, but not worth €60. Luttrelstown is over the road from me, a great course, I love it, but I wouldn't pay €60 to play it.
    I do realise there is added value to the events in prizes and goodies but I really don't need another baseball cap!

You can play Bunclody on a Wednesday for €15 at the minute. They do have a few tee times available each week when booking through the website. Not sure if that includes the open on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

TitianGerm wrote:
    You can play Bunclody on a Wednesday for €15 at the minute. They do have a few tee times available each week when booking through the website. Not sure if that includes the open on Wednesday.

Bunclody is a great course.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,053 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

TCM wrote: »
    Bunclody is a great course.

We lost a few trees in the last heavy winds. The big tree at the back of the 17th came down on the back corner of the green. Luckily the damage wasn't to bad and the green is slowly coming right.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

Ladies and Gentlemen please welcome him back to the prize winners circle, after cleaning up on the golf digest circuit,he has now moved onto the Irish golfer circuit and now seems to have family members on the podium also
    Well wonders never cease to amaze me

https://irishgolfer.ie/latest-golf-news/2019/04/20/irish-golfer-series-tees-off-at-balmy-baltray-with-a-hole-in-one/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Eoinyh wrote: »
    Ladies and Gentlemen please welcome him back to the prize winners circle, after cleaning up on the golf digest circuit,he has now moved onto the Irish golfer circuit and now seems to have family members on the podium also
    Well wonders never cease to amaze me

https://irishgolfer.ie/latest-golf-news/2019/04/20/irish-golfer-series-tees-off-at-balmy-baltray-with-a-hole-in-one/

Some scoring in baltray, were they off the ladies?

• Advertisement

Hoboo wrote: »
    Some scoring in baltray, were they off the ladies?

The tour pro had a 73 gross round the monty, this fella is something else

are we supposed to know these people or are you talking in code?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Let's cut out the hearsay and anyone who names someone will get a ban.

Seve OB wrote: »
    are we supposed to know these people or are you talking in code?

Code, not to hard to break

Code, not to hard to break

Still don't know any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tm2408

73 is a score I can only dream of, but for the "tour pro" as you put it that 73 wasnt even breaking his handicap.

where's my post gone???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

The same way as this thread. Done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement