Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to lay my first tile? Bath tiling.

Options
  • 09-01-2019 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

A simple question I can't find the answer to on YouTube.

I am tiling the three walls around the bath/shower.
    New bath just been installed and is level.

I presume my first tile will be in the middle of the length of the bath, so I use the bath as the line.

Any further tips?

Thanks

Andy
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

it depends, but you never want to be left with a full tile or a very small cut on any of the 4 edges of the wall. This is to allow for the walls not being square.

For starters figure out the center of the wall and work from there, see how many tiles you get either side and top to bottom. Then move your central point so there should be 50-90% of a tile at each edge. You don't want a small tile at the edge as its wastage and very obvious if the wall is running off.

Put up some dimensions here of the wall and tiles, then someone can advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭andybookie

it depends, but you never want to be left with a full tile or a very small cut on any of the 4 edges of the wall. This is to allow for the walls not being square.

For starters figure out the center of the wall and work from there, see how many tiles you get either side and top to bottom. Then move your central point so there should be 50-90% of a tile at each edge. You don't want a small tile at the edge as its wastage and very obvious if the wall is running off.

Put up some dimensions here of the wall and tiles, then someone can advise.

That makes sense.
    No need for dimensions (not that they a particular secret), as I know the task in hand now.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Although the bath might appear level, it might not be the best place to start tiling. The edge might not be square, so you may have problems getting the first row of tiles level. Many people will prefer to fix a batton to the wall, which will definitely be a nice edge to work from. Then come along later take down the baton and put in the bottom row of tiles, cutting each one to size.

Advertisement