Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calving 2019 - Advice and Help thread

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Lads I have a cow calved 4 days ago, she still not cleaned, let her out to a wall of ivy, vet recommend waiting 10 days before giving injection is there anything else lad can do in the mean time???

Once she's eating I'd leave her be

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭anthony500_1

She is eating away, about a foot hanging out, and it was a hard calvingn, big bull calf 2 weeks over due so that could be a lot of it. Put her in the crush there and to top it all off, one teat like a bullet and a second full of a blood coloured milk........ Looks like my final calving of 2019 is going to put the rest of what can only be called a super calving season to a poor end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

I have something similar-it’s been 12 days but cows in excellent form and is eating really well but hasn’t cleaned.... will I leave her be which is my instinct or at this point should I inject her? It wasn’t a hard calving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

12 days is a long time to retain the cleanings, i'd get a vet to look at her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Typical-saw her this morning and she had cleaned! Happy though as it’s the longest I’ve ever seen a cow not clean . I spoke with the vet before and it’s just the fact she’s in excellent form and eating well I didn’t really see the need to intervene too much!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

She is eating away, about a foot hanging out, and it was a hard calvingn, big bull calf 2 weeks over due so that could be a lot of it. Put her in the crush there and to top it all off, one teat like a bullet and a second full of a blood coloured milk........ Looks like my final calving of 2019 is going to put the rest of what can only be called a super calving season to a poor end

Did you ever test for low selenium or iodine?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote:
    Did you ever test for low selenium or iodine?

No never, would that be a cause of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Cows and calves all back in today and by god were they happy to get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Nice little charolais heifer off the accidental pregnancy! Two feet at 3.15 & calved herself by the time I'd made myself a cup of tea.

ZuqZvAxl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Nice little charolais heifer off the accidental pregnancy! Two feet at 3.15 & calved herself by the time I'd made myself a cup of tea.

I see you are making a pet of this one too.
    Next thing you will give it a nameðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

grassroot1 wrote: »
    I see you are making a pet of this one too.
    Next thing you will give it a nameðŸ˜

I wouldn't trust the heifer tbh, she's quick with the head:o

Calf just needed the coat because it was a bit weak in itself, took an age to stand. Last litre I tried it with was greedily sucked down & calf was making efforts towards the udder then so I left it to get on with the job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Had a heifer I bought last year, calf last night. She's a purebred limousin and when I bought her the guy that owned her said she was quiet. Even a neighbour of his that helped me load her said she had no badness in her, just that she was giddy. She was trying to jump walls when we were loading her.

Well, she turned out to be an absolute pet. Last night she was as quiet as a lamb. Even let me stand up the calf in the field. But I thought no way she let him drink as she kept kicking and knocking him when he got near her. Off home to change the clothes, leggings the whole lot. Back up the field and I could hear him sucking in the distance. Kinda thing happening to me a lot this year. :D

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Well, she turned out to be an absolute pet. Last night she was as quiet as a lamb. Even let me stand up the calf in the field. But I thought no way she let him drink as she kept kicking and knocking him when he got near her. Off home to change the clothes, leggings the whole lot. Back up the field and I could hear him sucking in the distance. Kinda thing happening to me a lot this year.

It's not to bad once they let them suck within a few hours, it when it goes on for weeks it's a pure head wreck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Had this tank yesterday evening. Nice bit of a pull with him but got up and sucked himself after. 5 more to go.

Might work this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

My first heifer calved today from my lmxfr oows, she is 3/4 bred limousin, hca and adx back breeding. She has a nice bag of milk. The calf is a saler.

Unfortunately I have an unplanned pregnancy with a 14 month old heifer, 8 months in calf, got vet to handle her and calf is big so cesarean more than likely:mad:

Had this tank yesterday evening. Nice bit of a pull with him but got up and sucked himself after. 5 more to go.

Make that 4. Grand little heifer unassisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 antrim1

We are half way through calving and everything going well.. 15 calves on the ground (inc 2 sets of twins all heifers - both scanned singles!!), only 2 bulls, the rest heifers. We lost Simmental stock bull last April to TB so took a risk and bought an unregistered 14 month Sim at the local mart to get with heifers early May. Have been lucky that he's throwing super calves!

We haven't had to lend a hand on any calving to far. They have all popped out and been up sucking in no time and thrive like mad with plenty of muscle! Will have a good crop of replacements for the bull in Spring 2021 all being well!

A lot of our neighbouring farms are rife with scour this year but thankfully we have got off lightly with only one calf going down... dung was white and watery! Couple of tablets down its throat and a jag of Bovigen have seemed to do the trick. The aul fella swears by the minerals and all pregnant stock gets a sprinkle over their silage daily from Christmas on. We ensure the calves get 2ml of selenium when they hit the ground . Also calving pens being cleaned and done with lime and fresh bedding of sawdust between use... keeps the vet out the the yard so far!

Hopefully another week will see the calving house cleared!

Down to 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Down to 3.

Are the mackeral in yet? Must head back there when I shift this cold.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement

Are the mackeral in yet? Must head back there when I shift this cold.

Wasn't fishing yet or didn't hear either. Probably still a bit early for them. Always found it a good time of year for big pollock though.

Advertisement