Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthem

Options

Comments

• Way too much quality games out to bother with it. A Destiny clone is such a waist of gamers time.

EA effectively done what they did to Titanfall 2 by releasing Battlefield 1 in near shot of it's release.

Everyone is playing Apex Legends.

I've a feeling this could be damaging for Bioware and it's future.
    Where as I thought EA would destroy Respawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Way too much quality games out to bother with it. A Destiny clone is such a waist of gamers time.

EA effectively done what they did to Titanfall 2 by releasing Battlefield 1 in near shot of it's release.

Not really a waste of gamer's time if they're enjoying it is it? I stuck about 6 hours in last night with my other half and had a blast, outside of Resi 2 it's the most fun I've had this year with a game.

I see what you mean about the release window, but I don't expect Apex Legends to eat into Anthem's player base the same way BF1 ruined Titanfall. That was a case of two competitive MP games going head to head, whereas we are dealing with two separate genres in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I find I have enough HD space for both and Far Cry (fcuk Metro it lost the February War Of The Games)

Just finished the 3rd mission and seen the Freemark video, if Bioware do not let us have a fight like that at some point I will be disappointed :D

ie more than 4 Javelins together.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Way too much quality games out to bother with it. A Destiny clone is such a waist of gamers time.

Apex is great but this is for a different audience ie the looter shooter crowd longterm atleast.
    Ofcourse casuals will play both but real loot fans will be hoping to hang around well after the campaign is finished.

Its a fun game but with so many tedious and annoying things to put up with for initial playthrough atleast

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Don't give up the day job for something in the review business anyway :pac:
    My review: Destiny with jetpacks. 6/10, would not buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dcully wrote: »
    Apex is great but this is for a different audience ie the looter shooter crowd longterm atleast.
    Ofcourse casuals will play both but real loot fans will be hoping to hang around well after the campaign is finished.

Its a fun game but with so many tedious and annoying things to put up with for initial playthrough atleast

Apex like all the other BR style games holds zero appeal for a lot of people myself included, but releasing it just a week before your big AAA title that a huge amount of people are still on the fence about still seems like an incredibly stupid thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Only played through the tutorial and fist mission , feels a lot sharper in terms of gunplay and flight controls . Will keep playing enjoying so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i was tempted to jump but i just didnt enjoy the beta it felt fairly boring to me, i did pre order the division to so il just save my money, watching it on twitch here and yea it just looks like a generic sci fi mech suit game. it could be amazing in a couple to a year so il keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

That all sounds very complicated. Thank **** for consoles.

Not complicated at all, and being thankful for a lack of options and lower image fidelity :confused: ....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    Not complicated at all, and being thankful for a lack of options and lower image fidelity :confused: ....

Take your nose back down there :pac: consoles just suit some people better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Flashdan

I am quite disappointed :(

Some one on the EA forum got it right. Loading Screen Simulator. Everywhere you go it a loading screen and if for some reason someone loads into a mission before you and moves off the late loaders have a 20 sec timer to catch up! if they don't ANOTHER loading screen omg its so annoying. Also if you take different paths to a goal 1 of the people will get teleported back to the standard path.

Fort Tarsis is a joke. You are running a flying around out in the world and you barely walk around in the Fort, no option to run or anything I dread the loading screen in to the fort as it means I have to wait another 10 mins of walking around talking to various randoms before I can go back out again. It needs like a computer that you have on you out in the world to pick up more missions so you don't have to go back to FT.

I keep getting the sound bug that makes me re load the game again (more loading screens)

Weirdly the story gets better and so do the story mission, You get to re live some cool moments and their are a few twists.

I will keep playing till the Div 2 comes out and make up my mind then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

level 16.. and I'm done with this SH*T.

Load into the mission, team have already started it. Modern Dev's "we'll drop you into your teams firefight"..this, no we'll put you at the start, after having you wait 4 minutes to load the map we'll now load the map again so you can be closer to your team.
    You eventually get to the zone, you die. No revive happening so you hit respawn.. Guess what? after you spend another 3 minutes at a loading screen you end up back at the mission start and ARE NOW OUTSIDE THE MISSION ZONE! so it loads it again to be back at the action.
    Want to change weapons on the fly, just hit tab or i for inventory nope wait till the mission ends, load the points screen, load the forge, change your weapons, LOAD the fort tarsis/launch bay.
    LOAD< LOAD< LOAD<WTF!
    Don't even get me started on the Fort Tarsis movement.
    Atleast in the launch bay you have your abilities..
    Also the UI is fecking awful.

Now I know why they released Aphex so close to this.. Its to hide how sh*t this game is.

Playing in a pre formed squad so not having those issues.

Why are the world events not marked on the map? Missions starting and stopping are also annoying. Coming Destiny 2 you finished a mission you moved to the next one not a reward screen and back to the stupid city to get a text update that starts ther next one.

Freeplay and Strongholds are very good but I think the story missions are like Destiny 2 they are the intro and the game starts when the story ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Playing in a pre formed squad so not having those issues.

Why are the world events not marked on the map? Missions starting and stopping are also annoying. Coming Destiny 2 you finished a mission you moved to the next one not a reward screen and back to the stupid city to get a text update that starts ther next one.

Freeplay and Strongholds are very good but I think the story missions are like Destiny 2 they are the intro and the game starts when the story ends.

Have you reached the end of the story?

Hows the load times givin you have it on an SSD?

I didnt realise you could buy one month of origin access premier,i thought it was only €100 for the year. Was sorely tempted last night but givin the reactions here from most im unsure now.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Have you reached the end of the story?

Hows the load times givin you have it on an SSD?

I didnt realise you could buy one month of origin access premier,i thought it was only €100 for the year. Was sorely tempted last night but givin the reactions here from most im unsure now.

No not finished but I can see strongholds being mini raids.

Loads times are a load of bollox but you learn to avoid them, I can see how playing on your own could be annoying with the tethering.

Load times are a joke and the sheer amount of them is incredibly annoying, check out the pc gamer review in progress, its 100% sums up how i feel and i reckon most feel about it.

https://www.pcgamer.com/anthem-review/

Great fun when out in your javelin fighting but probably the most frustrating game ive ever played when not in the javelin.
    I cant believe any game devs could sit there and think this is what gamers want.

Its an absolute shame because they are turning away a massive percentage of players, the big shame is endgame is looking excellent, i was watching some streamers on endgame lastnight and it looks great with an excellent loot system with plenty to do.

Im a loot game junkie and im finding it so hard to persevere through countless boring npc,loading screen,slo-mo walk thropugh that fcuking city just to get the the next mission.
    Im at the stage now that im spamming escape key to skip all the npc chat [i dont care about your boring story]

Earlier i sid the world is bland, i take it all back, its absolutely stunning once you get out of the starting area and its absolutely massive, but sadly it feels empty.
    Here again what ive heard is its full of enemies at engame, everything is about endgame but what a slog to get there FFS.

Thankfully i only subbed to origin premier for the month the check this out, if i get to endgame and its as good as it looks i might buy.

I finished the story, but in true anthem style it didn't show me the cinematic and when I loaded in again I couldn't move and the sound wasn't working.

They say that a lot will be fixed on launch day.

I got it through Origin also so I will play it until Div 2 comes out. Cannot see me sticking around in Anthem tbh but will give the end game a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Anyone know when they are bringing in PVP?

Muppet Man wrote: »

I don't think they've even confirmed that PvP is coming at all. They said that there will be no PvP at launch but haven't discussed the matter any further as far as I know. I'd imagine it'll be brought in at some stage though.

Muppet Man wrote: »
    They aren't.

• Advertisement

The warning when you fall too far behind on a mission are a joke. I was playing one yesterday and my team were not that far from me, I could even see them on my screen, and that 20 second warning kept popping up. What was worse was it just constantly popped up and went away as I was just on the edge of what EA deem an acceptable distance.

And the warning is huge on the screen. Takes up too much space.

All in all the game is just full of frustrations.

awec wrote: »
    They aren't.

Have they confirmed they won't bring it in at all? I haven't heard anything beyond them saying there will be no PvP at launch, but I also went on media blackout pretty much since Xmas with the game as I wanted to go in as blind as possible.

goon_magee wrote: »
    Have they confirmed they won't bring it in at all? I haven't heard anything beyond them saying there will be no PvP at launch, but I also went on media blackout pretty much since Xmas with the game as I wanted to go in as blind as possible.
    No but I am pretty sure they said something like they didn't think PvP would suit the sort of game it is.

BioWare executive Casey Hudson told Geoff Keighley on YouTube’s Live at E3 show that Anthem will not have PvP at all, and will focus solely on the PvE experience for players.

Flashdan wrote: »
    BioWare executive Casey Hudson told Geoff Keighley on YouTube’s Live at E3 show that Anthem will not have PvP at all, and will focus solely on the PvE experience for players.

I think they may have changed their tune slightly since then though, it was early February when one of the exec producers said that there would be no PvP at launch. That would imply to me that it's something they are at least considering further down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Have played through a few of the missions today , would be happy enough with it now but it does seem it may get repetitive fast. I will hold judgement on that for now and see how the main story develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

It's an ok game, as a previous poster said it's full of little nuances. Level 18 now and it's getting a little repetitive, main city is a joke, how it got past early stages is beyond me.
    I now just skip all dialog, don't remember ever doing that in Mass Effect

Finished the campaign at about lvl 24 or 25.
    Just started the tip of the endgame iceberg with contracts, got my first a legendary contract just before i logged off but ill do it tomorrow night or so.
    Skipped all NPC dialogue after the first 5 hours or so, cant be arsed with a boring tedious story in a loot game.
    People saying the game is repetitive, thats the nature of the beast.
    This is not a game you play for story or campaign, as with any loot game and live service its all about endgame.
    Engame in looter games is all about loot,theorycrafting builds,rerunning content with new gear ,new builds in the constant quest for new loot, then rinse repeat.
    Just like diablo finding just one item can totally change how you build your class [javelin in Anthem]
    Thats why a solid and enjoyable combat system is crucial to this type of game.
    Im noticing loading screens to be faster today thus making the early game more tolerable.
    Thankfully im approaching the point where the loot grind loop is starting to kick in and am enjoying it so much more than before, after about lvl 14 it all gets less tedious.

Dcully wrote: »
    Finished the campaign at about lvl 24 or 25.
    Just started the tip of the endgame iceberg with contracts, got my first a legendary contract just before i logged off but ill do it tomorrow night or so.
    Skipped all NPC dialogue after the first 5 hours or so, cant be arsed with a boring tedious story in a loot game.
    People saying the game is repetitive, thats the nature of the beast.
    This is not a game you play for story or campaign, as with any loot game and live service its all about endgame.
    Engame in looter games is all about loot,theorycrafting builds,rerunning content with new gear ,new builds in the constant quest for new loot, then rinse repeat.
    Just like diablo finding just one item can totally change how you build your class [javelin in Anthem]
    Thats why a solid and enjoyable combat system is crucial to this type of game.
    Im noticing loading screens to be faster today thus making the early game more tolerable.
    Thankfully im approaching the point where the loot grind loop is starting to kick in and am enjoying it so much more than before, after about lvl 14 it all gets less tedious.

It definitely gets better towards to end game. The loot that drops is a lot more varied than earlier on.

Have been doing a lot of the Strongholds and they get quite hard and require teamwork so thats a good thing.

But the boring ass grind to get to level 25+ is very annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

When it works, it really works. Had an absolute blast in freeplay earlier, just flying around doing random things. The world is absolutely beautiful, and flying around can be really enjoyable. Some of the missions are a lot of fun, especially on harder difficulties and having a decent team. I'd say a proper squad specced out to work together could absolutely blast through most missions.

The loading though...ugh, it can be bad. Part of the reason why i prefer freeplay is having to load multiple times per mission, and then having to walk around the base (whatever it's called). No real interest in any of the npc's, but i'll keep up with their **** just to get through it.

Overall, it's a really enjoyable game, with some awful design choices.

Advertisement