Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

The amount of times you enter a loading screen is an issue alright. Not really sure how this passed QA. It is blatantly apparent after 30 minutes of play that there are to many load screens, so I have no idea why they didn't change the way you move through areas. Not really sure how they are going to be able to change it either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, it's probably not possible to load a mission while in freeplay. I'd assume it's effectively a separate instance of the main world.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Load screen frequency is definitely still an issue. I'm also still having problems with the length on One X. Playing side by side with my missus last night and loading into the same instance on the One S she was using, she was always in at least 15 seconds ahead of me and I would always miss the first few lines of dialogue. Seems they have improved a lot on the S but the X for whatever reason is still loading slow as **** for me, patch and all.

The tethering to team mates is also a bit extreme and not something that really affected me till last night. My load times were taking so long compared to others that by the time I had loaded in I was too far behind the group and immediately got pulled into another loading section as it tried to catch me up.

Besides that though I'm having a blast, which speaks to the quality of the core game underneath all the broken bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

goon_magee wrote: »
    Load screen frequency is definitely still an issue. I'm also still having problems with the length on One X. Playing side by side with my missus last night and loading into the same instance on the One S she was using, she was always in at least 15 seconds ahead of me and I would always miss the first few lines of dialogue. Seems they have improved a lot on the S but the X for whatever reason is still loading slow as **** for me, patch and all.

The tethering to team mates is also a bit extreme and not something that really affected me till last night. My load times were taking so long compared to others that by the time I had loaded in I was too far behind the group and immediately got pulled into another loading section as it tried to catch me up.

Besides that though I'm having a blast, which speaks to the quality of the core game underneath all the broken bull****.

Hardly trying to load in higher res textures on the X is it :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Its all about the core gameplay for me with the added incentive to play just one more mission for one more masterwork drop.
    Most of the other BS everyone is experiencing early game is gone once you hit endgame but that road to endgame will put off 80% or more of the player base.
    You can just base yourself in the social space the loading bay and accept contracts,select missions and strongholds from there from there and off you go, no need to head to fort slo-motion at all really cutting out a lot of the annoying BS.
    Will it be enough to keep me interested ?
    Monster Hunter World is always calling me and the division 2 is out soon but meanwhile this is ticking all the boxes for now.
    Oh and none of those reviewers got anywhere proper endgame :rolleyes: its like they reviewed 30% of the game and left out the core that is designed to keep people playing longterm.
    But yes that 30% is a fcuking mess.

Anyone on the fence about it i would wait to see what this live service brings in the future.
    However if you enjoy RNG based loot games with great gameplay and interesting combo system set in an amazing world its well worth playing through the mess of a campaign to experience the real meat of the game afterwards.
    If your not into that type of loot loop game then your wasting your time and money.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Hardly trying to load in higher res textures on the X is it :confused:

Well given that pre patch, I was loading in a damn sight quicker than the S, I don't think that's the issue. And given all the extra grunt he X has I wouldn't think it out of the question that it would load in quicker...

Possibly a very stupid question, but how do you unlock more cosmetic armour parts??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I'm guessing they may drop at some point (I think there are plans for Vanity chests in Strongholds later). But right now use the store in Tarsis (on the left and right just before the Forge/Javelin platform) , you can use in-game earned 'Coin', or real-money microtransactionblx 'Shards'.

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    I'm guessing they may drop at some point (I think there are plans for Vanity chests in Strongholds later). But right now use the store in Tarsis (on the left and right just before the Forge/Javelin platform) , you can use in-game earned 'Coin', or real-money microtransactionblx 'Shards'.

Thanks man. I had seen the store but was hoping there was an alternative to using in game or premium currency. Hopefully these vanity chests get implemented soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Right, enough procrastinating. 69 Euro investment completed. Goodbye Destiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

2 hours in and, bar the stupid out of mission reload, it's class

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Yip... enjoying it so far... the out of mission area messages are the only thing that is annoying me so far.... the fort actually isn’t too bad as there isn’t a huge amount to do there once you make the decision to skip past the pointless dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Saved my 10 hour EA Access trial for the post-release patch. Now I just half to find some time to play it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

a few reviews are up on metacritic, it's better than average but not that great either, few more days for the proper average -70- atm

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/anthem?fbclid=IwAR2mDjpH7D9PzYfgh8_eqLEu4JsV2P4gTmC-qvAlvQVWLCvp7J_K39-MSUo
    35 reviews in and sitting at 60 average. PC user score 3.8, PS4 3.3 & Xbox 2.9. Not getting any bonuses for those scores for sure (in reference to publishers liking to tie bonuses to the meta critic score the game will hit as a tie in to how well it is likely to sell).

I'm enjoying it a lot but it has some serious issues that would stop me recommending it to anyone but diehard looter shooter fans.

Other similar games have made so many QoL changes that Bioware could have learnt from but hasn't. For example in Destiny, over the years, launching new activities, having to go back to to the tower etc. were all streamlined to interfere with the game as little as possible and let you get back to the actual gameplay side of things as quickly as possible. Anthem is the complete opposite, no looter shooter should force players to sit through three or 4 lengthy load screens just to change a loadout, never mind how long it takes to change a loadout and get back out to gameplay.

I don't see this ever changing neither. If they introduce changing loadouts on the fly during missions. then people will inevitably get stuck in the player tethering/load in to rest of team loop as they lag too far behind. That core gameplay of Anthem is so much fun, it's just a pity it's been designed around a product that seems intent on pulling you out if it at the slightest opportunity.

It just baffles me how they released the game with so many clear annoyances and irritating systems. The game was in development for 6 years or so, and in that time they had the opportunity to not only grow the game themselves, but learn from other developers making similar mistakes.

On the plus side, I've enjoyed the campaign, the customisation seems great, and as mentioned the gameplay is brilliant once you're left to enjoy it. The roadmap is also promising.

So yeah, I really like the game, but some of the 5's and 6's are totally warranted. The IGN review is actually a decent read for once. James Duggan who reviewed the game is one of their more credible critics, and speaks more openly I find. He's also an MMO/looter shooter fan so knows the genre.

90 Day Roadmap
    Freeplay events, new missions, items, and cosmetics, guild support, and more.

https://www.pcgamer.com/anthem-roadmap/

I urge everyone slating this game to watch this video, he goes into depth as to why skill up and others a very misinformed thus making their negative reviews deeply flawed.

Im seeing plenty in here who are also very much misinformed and judging the game without getting anywhere near endgame or even understanding the core game loop, some passing judgement without even playing based on x guy or y guy says so on youtube.

He knows this genre inside out unlike 90% of the reviewers who literally havent a clue what they are talking about.

Dcully wrote: »
    I urge everyone slating this game to watch this video, he goes into depth as to why skill up and others a very misinformed thus making their negative reviews deeply flawed.

Im seeing plenty in here who are also very much misinformed and judging the game without getting anywhere near endgame or even understanding the core game loop, some passing judgement without even playing based on x guy or y guy says so on youtube.

He knows this genre inside out unlike 90% of the reviewers who literally havent a clue what they are talking about.

Actually watched this last night, fantastic video. People's expectations of what a BioWare game MUST be are leading to a lot of unwarranted bad press.

@ goon_magee Im just glad someone is calling these chancers out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I was happy enough to do 14k damage with avenging herald.

Someone always goes bigger.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/atl0xv/i_see_your_149k_and_raise_you_138m/

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I was happy enough to do 14k damage with avenging herald.

Someone always goes bigger.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/atl0xv/i_see_your_149k_and_raise_you_138m/

Lol well if it makes you feel any better I think they're using an exploit that stacks their damage increase buffs after every dodge.

Got 3 masterworks from a stronghold, it was the same weapon with the same bonuses :(

You get masterwork ember from scrapping them wonder if you can craft them then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Did a bit of freeplay today for a few hours, came across 2 world events which were typical missions - tough but not too tough - just right.

Also descended into a cave system i found and ended up fighting dominion throughout it and that was sersiously tough , had to duck out in my interceptor a few times for the shields to recharge and had little health left. Fought my whole way through it and there was nothing at the end , no crate or chest etc.

Overall i am quietly impressed with this game , its not perfect but i think the gunplay is good, the flight controls are good now, the world is gorgeous i actually like exploring it , i actually like the storyline and missions, it actually reminds me of some of the bethesda games with the little sub stories in the fort etc.

I think critically they have been overly harsh on this one and i am not sure why , i think if they keep up the level of support this will be an excellent title.

Its a solid 8/10 for me , but with time i feel that score will drift up.

• Looks like EA werent happy with an honest review of the game from a sponsored YouTuber

Someone game me a months EA pass. Will try the trial and test myself. Get some opinions here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I am becoming more interested in this from what I've seen.
    Might pick it up next week.

Game is ripping the piss now with Elemental Rage, I have got 7 of them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Man that sux.

Major drawback of RNG for regualr players. Hopefully they can get the loot pool expanded pretty soon.

Not sure id be grinding it too hard atm,after a few updates id hope it would improve that aspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 SeanMacken

Hi All,

I've picked up Anthem enjoying it a lot, despite the occasional boot from servers. Anyway I'm looking for people to play with on Xbox. Is there a clan here? Or anything along those lines? I also play Destiny 2 and The Division.

If anyone wants to add me on Xbox GT: Ruthless Seraph

Advertisement