Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthem

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The basic gameplay (i.e shooting mechanics) of Anthem is far better then that of Fallout, so no reason why they shouldn't be able to do it. Whether they will pull it off or not is another question.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

How can ye abandon a game twice?

:P

Seriously though there must have been like 3 people working on this,its been so long. Unless its a proper overhaul I'd struggle to see it gaining traction.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Dead as disco. Another one for the pile...

mmh5bdvn5cg61.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

EoinHef wrote: »
    Seriously though there must have been like 3 people working on this,its been so long. Unless its a proper overhaul I'd struggle to see it gaining traction.
    From the article...
    The Anthem Next team includes about 30 people, BioWare said last year. People familiar with the project said it will need to expand to at least triple that in order to produce new content and continue attempting to overhaul the game. EA has not yet indicated whether it’s willing to commit that kind of budget to revive a maligned game.

Which would imply not only a pretty big overhaul but also a non-trivial commitment from EA, hence the need for one of these gate meetings to determine whether it's worth the investment. It'll be interesting to see how it goes anyway, EA's release roster looks pretty sparse at the moment and with the Star Wars licence going wider, they could probably do with some in-house titles on the slate outside of the big ones like Battlefield, NFS and their sports output.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

General consensus on the Anthem subreddit is the game is dead in all but name, regardless of the announcement next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CraigM84

Was hoping this game would make a come back, did quite enjoy the play of it but with short story when it was released it just didnt hold the interest, was a pity really, ill keep hoping for now though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I threw this on just a few weeks ago while waiting for friends to come online.
    The flying and fighting still feel great but still not much to do apart from one new raid (new to me at least) and trying to complete challenges.

A shame. I imagine the upcoming news will be an end to maintenance/support and laying the game to rest.
    I'd like to see a rip off of it down the line as a single player, open world experience rather than a co-op looter.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I threw this on just a few weeks ago while waiting for friends to come online.
    The flying and fighting still feel great but still not much to do apart from one new raid (new to me at least) and trying to complete challenges.

A shame. I imagine the upcoming news will be an end to maintenance/support and laying the game to rest.
    I'd like to see a rip off of it down the line as a single player, open world experience rather than a co-op looter.

I think you need the coop for the mixture of <forgets name of the iron man suit> playing it on your own would limit your <forgets name of alley oop thing with primers etc>

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I think you need the coop for the mixture of <forgets name of the iron man suit> playing it on your own would limit your <forgets name of alley oop thing with primers etc>
    :D

Yeah that's why I'd like a rip off centered around playing by yourself and not just an offline Anthem.

• Advertisement

:D

Yeah that's why I'd like a rip off centered around playing by yourself and not just an offline Anthem.

javelins and primers and detonators :D

A good mix of javelins was brilliant, the tank, the ninja, the other one and the one I mained.....the starter one??. Getting the combos with everyone using their specialities was good fun.

Damn the combat in that game was good *

*100% said that like fifty times in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Kiith wrote: »
    General consensus on the Anthem subreddit is the game is dead in all but name, regardless of the announcement next week.

Yep it's dead
    https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1364654789443862528?s=19

https://blog.bioware.com/2021/02/24/anthem-update/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Not surprising,and absolutely typical of what EA have become.

A long way from when the EA logo splashing up on the screen usually meant good things

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Mass Effect Trilogy needs to land absolutely perfect now. After abandoning Andromeda and now Anthem it could be Bioware's last chance.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Just gonna leave this here:

I don't like being smug. In fact, a part of me was hoping I was wrong as I find comeback stories inspirational, but Sean Murray was absolutely bang on the money. There is literally no benefit to announcing a roadmap of fixes. What we have to remember with Bioware is that this is company that took 2 years to even figure out what they wanted the game to be and despite EA granting them a delay they still couldn't get it together.

I don't think its that simple in regards announcing a road map vs radio silence. Its sort of a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario.

You could argue that they should of just of said they will continue to work on the game without being specific as to what that meant but there announcement today would of been just as disappointing if that's all they had said.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think the difference between the 2 is no one expected HG to turn NMS into what it was, and in the way they did and continue to do it. Whereas EA are way bigger with a massively bigger audience who cry and clamber and shout for updates, etc. Radio silence from a larger dev wouldn't be taken as well as radio silence from a small or new dev. But I do agree that it's better to shut up, fix it and then say you've fixed it and release the fix for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You word good.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

The thing is when you say you're making a 2.0 comeback akin to something like No Man's Sky Next you're setting a second expectation and therefore a potential second disappointment.

I've noticed that developers who spend too much time on social media placating fans and providing updates when somebody farts in the office are often the ones that don't tend to deliver whereas the ones who are more silent seem more committed. It's a demonstration of one's priorities. In CDPR and Bioware's case, their number 1 priority is to repair their public image no matter what, not deliver a quality game and I think that's ultimately why they failed. There is a strain of egotism and narcissism that runs within their companies. From "Bioware magic" to "we made The Witcher 3".

Its still a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Had they not announced anything and just worked on the overhaul in secret, people would have kept criticizing them for just abandoning the game. Perhaps the small community that was still playing would have moved on other things. There was never any win win scenario for them.

In fairness to Bioware after they announced they intended to overhaul the game the where pretty quiet, I don't recall hearing much from them about it since. Maybe 2-3 updates so I don't think it was a case of them being on social media too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

maybe bioware can go back to what they have historically been damn good at........sp story driven rpgs, if they even exist in anyway the same shape or form anymore

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

maybe bioware can go back to what they have historically been damn good at........sp story driven rpgs, if they even exist in anyway the same shape or form anymore
    As so many other gaming companies have before them when they were bought by EA they lost their soul over time and got retired to the "Used to be a good gaming company" graveyard. Bioware is gone; enjoy the games they made historically but forget anything else coming out from them.

DOQPbm0XUAAtRUu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Single player, you say?

Electronic Arts Removes Multiplayer Mode From Dragon Age Game in Big Pivot
    The diverging trajectories of two recent games changed the minds of Wilson and other executives at EA, according to the people. One was Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, a single-player game released in November 2019 that won critical acclaim and outperformed EA’s sales expectations, reaching more than 10 million players in its first four months. The second was BioWare’s Anthem, a multiplayer game that was widely panned when it launched. The games showed that single-player games could still be lucrative and that BioWare, traditionally known for its single-player, role-playing games, might be better off returning to its roots. A spokesman for EA declined to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Dragon age inquisition was the only DA game to have MP so far and while the game wasn't a big success the MP was good just inherently won't have the numbers wanting it. MP in Mass effect is a big deal since that got added, even have a decent amount of people pissed it's not in the remaster. Would put money on MP being in the next ME game.

Considering EA didn't comment I'm guessing they're still going to have MP in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Better off just having zero expectation for anything with Biowares name on it from now on i was very skeptical of Anthem on announcement and rightly so i guess. EA continues to milk the reputation of good studios and throw them to the kerb a few years later.

Man I miss that game :(

RIP Anthem

Advertisement