Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inheritance tax between UK and Ireland

Options
  • 09-01-2019 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I am UK born living in Ireland, with Irish citizenship. I am about to come into some money from my parents who were UK citizens (now deceased). There has been some inheritance tax to pay on the UK side and the amount will be above the Irish inheritance tax threshhold including a property. Will I also be liable for tax in Ireland and what are the Irish tax implications of this? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Erepa wrote: »
    I am UK born living in Ireland, with Irish citizenship. I am about to come into some money from my parents who were UK citizens (now deceased). There has been some inheritance tax to pay on the UK side and the amount will be above the Irish inheritance tax threshhold including a property. Will I also be liable for tax in Ireland and what are the Irish tax implications of this? Thanks
    There is a dual tax arrangement between the two countries. As you are resident in Ireland you will be liable for the Irish levels but anything you have to pay in the U.K. can be deducted from the Irish tax liability. There isnt double jeopardy. As always the best approach is to have an accountant handle it. Their fees are not outrageous and can save you money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Edgware wrote: »
    There is a dual tax arrangement between the two countries. As you are resident in Ireland you will be liable for the Irish levels but anything you have to pay in the U.K. can be deducted from the Irish tax liability. There isnt double jeopardy. As always the best approach is to have an accountant handle it. Their fees are not outrageous and can save you money.
    Not a slam dunk.:(
    OP, CAT/IH is self assessment, via ROS, so you need to get that access setup.
    Don't pay for anyone else doing it for you

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I have a good accountant who doesnt rip me off. He has saved me thousands over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Erepa

Thanks Calahonda. I am already registered self assessed with ROS. Do I declare this inheritance with my annual return or when I receive it or is there anything else I have to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,986 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

not great advice really.
    just because you can do it yourself, doesn't mean you should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Seve OB wrote: »
    not great advice really.
    just because you can do it yourself, doesn't mean you should.

No advice given here: read the charter.

However, why pay a fee, for a return that you are liable for, where the machine does all the math.?
    I have seen lawyers charge upward of euro 2,000 just for filing on ROS: a % of the tax paid was the basis.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Erepa

Thanks guys. I was easily able to register for ROS by myself. My question now is do I need to declare the inheritance when I receive it or when I do my annual return?

Advertisement