Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daffodils

Options
  • 09-01-2019 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

Just bringing the dog for a walk and I notice hundreds of daffodils in full bloom. Is this unusual for the time of year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not when it's averaged about 8 degrees (24 hours) for the last month! Snowdrops and daffs together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Just bringing the dog for a walk and I notice hundreds of daffodils in full bloom. Is this unusual for the time of year?

I think it is out of season and far earlier than would be expected in most places, but as already posted above it has been unusually mild lately and it's not that surprising then that some things will go to flower earlier than normal. I have snow drops that are flowering a couple of weeks before they did last year and forsythia that is flowering now that did not flower until mid March last year. I usually would not see the daffodils here flowering until March or April.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭glaswegian

There are daffs in full bloom and have been since before xmas here in Sligo,was the same last year,could be an early blooming breed of daff ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

There's a guy who sells daffodils in the milk market in Limerick. He grows them outside, does nothing special. On sale at this time of year the past few years.
    Grown in Waterford though so perhaps it's a bit milder.

Advertisement