Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul Festival 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heiser

That's a terrible line up. I know B&S is about more than the music, but how can they justify the ticket price with that line up? ATN is the same price and look at the acts they booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlietully

Hard to believe nick cave played this just a couple of years back. Piss poor line up. **** i.g pathetic really for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

One of those lineups that is objectively under average in terms of star power, but in terms of personal interest I love it. Might be my favourite initial announcement since 2015.

I dunno, I found Body and Soul lineups almost impossible to judge in hindsight, you look back at 2013 with Solange and at the time that was a really weird, leftfield (possibly even underwhelming) choice. Now she's a megastar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Santigold is great.

Do Body and Soul do day tickets?

She’s the only one that interests me there but would happily make a day of it. Don’t want to do weekend camping etc

callaway92 wrote: »
    Santigold is great.

Do Body and Soul do day tickets?

She’s the only one that interests me there but would happily make a day of it. Don’t want to do weekend camping etc

They've had Sunday tickets in the past

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

I think the lineup is pretty good so far(going by previous years), lots of stuff I want to see and lots that I haven't seen before. Have to have a wee laugh at the people that were expecting them to book acts like Weezer and Tame Impala, those acts aren't suited for Body n Soul at all, your more likely to see them on at the 3 arena or EP headliners.

Anyway I made a spotify playlist if anyone is interested. About 4 or 5 songs for each act :)
    https://open.spotify.com/user/1159545637/playlist/153M5vvru1GMPk6JxOM9X2?si=uPp6RFEUS7mxBIDDbTm6SA

I didn't include anyone playing DJ sets like Mano Le Tough, The Drifter, Baikal or Kruger & Dorfmesiter, check there DJ sets on Soundcloud or Youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I just think people are getting swindled, look at the size of the acts other festivals here and abroad put on with cheaper prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

thought there might be a one or two bigger names, but it's in line with previous years I suppose.
    like others said, would have preferred Moderat but they don't appear to be touring it this summer and doing solo Modeselektor/Apparat gigs instead.
    heard The Blaze were brilliant at EP last year.

not really enough to get me to go again this year yet, but might change my mind with a sunny weather forecast on the week of it and a cheap ticket on toutless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

Weighing up whether to do this or Sea Sessions.

Not much i like there in the line-up compared to Sea Sessios - but from previous years B&S appear to have things like Mother DJs etc around at night that would keep you going if didn't like the bands on?

is the B&S crowd very much mid-30s/40s or was a mix of mid 20s there.
    i am guessing that Sea Sessions could be more a teenage vibe?

I just think people are getting swindled, look at the size of the acts other festivals here and abroad put on with cheaper prices.

Swindling would assume that people (a) haven't looked at the past lineups and seen that they're of comparable scope and (b) bought their tickets before a lineup announcement.

I'd say it's extremely unlikely anyone who bought a ticket prior to this announcement cared about the lineup. And anyone who buys from now on is fully informed!

• Advertisement

thought there might be a one or two bigger names, but it's in line with previous years I suppose.
    like others said, would have preferred Moderat but they don't appear to be touring it this summer and doing solo Modeselektor/Apparat gigs instead.
    heard The Blaze were brilliant at EP last year.

not really enough to get me to go again this year yet, but might change my mind with a sunny weather forecast on the week of it and a cheap ticket on toutless.

Modeselektor are in a new album touring phase, wouldn't really make sense to tour as Moderat as there's no new material from that moniker.

showpony1 wrote: »

Not much i like there in the line-up compared to Sea Sessios - but from previous years B&S appear to have things like Mother DJs etc around at night that would keep you going if didn't like the bands on?

B&S is arguably the most mature crowd of the Irish field festival scene, I'd say. And yeah, there's plenty going on at night, the Mother stage last year was pretty epic in scale, though I'm too old and broken to be staying up that late.

showpony1 wrote: »

Yeah Sea Sessions has a young crowd vibe. I use to go to it when I was younger then started going to B&S and noticed a big difference and the free flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

MJohnston wrote: »
    Modeselektor are in a new album touring phase, wouldn't really make sense to tour as Moderat as there's no new material from that moniker.

Moderat announced hiatus for the foreseeable last year as far as I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Didn't Santigold only play like 2 years ago?

Quite poor to repeat big artists at small festivals so soon,

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Yes in 2016 if I recall

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Wasn't really a gig though was it, downpour on Sunday that year, Santigold had airport trouble as I recall travelling to B&S and half her group and equipment couldn't make it. I missed her myself but caught her at EP in 2011 and she was pretty amazing.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Wasn't really a gig though was it, downpour on Sunday that year, Santigold had airport trouble as I recall travelling to B&S and half her group and equipment couldn't make it. I missed her myself but caught her at EP in 2011 and she was pretty amazing.

Yeah that was horrible, fair play to them for still playing for a bit, but yeah that's why she's back again and she even said at the end of her set that she would be back at b&s to play a proper set

The thing I like about the Body and Soul lineups recently is that they're really well thematically paired at the top of the docket. Last year, I didn't like any of the artists, but they were all very well curated if you're into that Fever Ray kind of sound. This year it's definitely a dancehall or just raucus electronica vibe. It'll be a GREAT feel for a party.

I'm absolutely delighted with Kruder & Dorfmeister, have always loved their music, ice chill ambient with great use of DnB, jazz, trip hop and downtempo same sorta vibe as Boards of Canada, Thievery Corporation, Nightmares in Wax. Always wondered why they have eluded the Picnic for so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

I'm absolutely delighted with Kruder & Dorfmeister, have always loved their music, ice chill ambient with great use of DnB, jazz, trip hop and downtempo same sorta vibe as Boards of Canada, Thievery Corporation, Nightmares in Wax. Always wondered why they have eluded the Picnic for so long.

Had not listened to much (any) of their stuff before. They are great!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Have started listening to them on your recommendation. I must admit when I first heard it was a German electronic duo I assumed the worst. But they're really good. Way more Jazz/instrumental than thump thump stuff. I'm looking forward to them now, maybe as the Sunday night headliner to have a nice mellow end to the festival ala James Holden last year?

Another interesting titbit about Kruder & Dorfmeister, was looking up their gigography on Resident Advisor, it appears the act has never played Ireland before, no festival or gig dates in Ireland listed from gig listings going back to 2003, so this appears to be their debut show on Irish soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

ala James Holden last year?

That’s a high standard to be holding someone to...

I need to do some listening - sceptical tho - are they really at his level?

That’s a high standard to be holding someone to...

I need to do some listening - sceptical tho - are they really at his level?

K&D have been going since 1993, they haven't toured that much, mainly around Germany, Austria and the States, they haven't played that many festivals either tending to gig more in October November with standalone gigs mainly. I actually don't know how much they are rated but they rate quite well along with the Orb, Boards of Canada, Thievery Corporation, Rockers Hi Fi, Nightmares On Wax sort of fanbase, not straightforward dance music but more funky and groovy using nice vibraphones, exotic sounding instruments, totally ambient downbeat chill. They also do DnB and dubby reggae too, perfectly Body & Soul compatible. Yes its electronic music but not Life Festival fodder more the ice chill groove for Body&Soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

Spotify 2019 B&S playlist

Just checking out the rapper Princess Nokia, a kinda of Vince Staples type buzz, I like this track here, should be a interesting gig, this year's Alo Wala.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Nokia

NSFW - Nature of the lyrics anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Santigold has been added to a world music stage (2nd Stage) in Inmusic fest.

https://www.inmusicfestival.com/en/program/2019

A fest that costs 67euro or 47 if you got early bird.

More acts still to announce.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Danger Fourpence

Thinking of heading to this. Anyone got an idea of the capacity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 MichaelM93l

10,000 - 15,000, it’s well worth a visit, no other festival in Ireland has that certain uniqueness that Body & Soul has.

Advertisement