Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul Festival 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

They have added some Irish Acts...

For the second year running RTÉ 2fm Rising will present a live programme of 2fm Rising artists and acts on the Friday night of the festival on the Woodlands Stage at Body & Soul.

This year's 2fm Rising artists include a Dublin take on DIY indie & punk with PILLOW QUEENS; ‘grumpy electro-pop’ with ROE; alternative homegrown hip-hop with TEBI REX; bold expressive guitar music with Cork band of brother TRUE TIDES; stylish dance-inducing beats with acoustic roots with FLYNN; socially conscious rhythmic poetry with rapper JYELLOWL; sizzling Skibbereen beats and soulful vocals with RUSHES and honest and heartfelt singer/songwriting with FIA MOON.

Pretty sure I seen Roe at it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just wondering if there will be additions soon for the Midnight Circus and main stage, when was the second main announcement last year.

Edit: Just looking back on the 2018 thread it seems the second announcement was 12th April so not long away hopefully.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Tame Impala just announced a solo gig on the wednesday after b&s. I guess thats the only reason why he isnt playing it.

Tame Impala just announced a solo gig on the wednesday after b&s. I guess thats the only reason why he isnt playing it.

Well I think Tame Impala would be too big an act for B&S to book or afford.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Well I think Tame Impala would be too big an act for B&S to book or afford.

No no. Its the only reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

I would like to see Mano Le Tough invite more friends to play for the all day Sunday sesh at the big Wreckless in love area. It can get a bit boring and tech-housey with the 3 lads from the same label playing for 12 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Speaking of the Reckless in Love area, was it improved upon last year compared to the previous year? I didn't go last year but the Reckless in Love area was disappointing in 2017. It felt very empty for most of the weekend because its in such a massive space that's devoid of any tree-line. It was perfect when it was in the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Speaking of the Reckless in Love area, was it improved upon last year compared to the previous year? I didn't go last year but the Reckless in Love area was disappointing in 2017. It felt very empty for most of the weekend because its in such a massive space that's devoid of any tree-line. It was perfect when it was in the woods.

No there was not much change last year as far as I could see. Agree it was far better in the woods but I think they had crowding issues in the woods so had to move it to a bigger area. I enjoyed the Reckless in Love stage more last year compared to 2017 though, maybe because of the weather, it is good fun during the day but once it gets dark I feel like it just feels a bit too open for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭hugeglobe

It was certainly better than 2017, maybe more people knew about it perhaps - always thought it looked kind of crap during the day with all the scaffolding though, but the visuals at night are otherworldly.

Will be a bit disappointed if Mano has the Sunday slot for the third year in a row, it seems a bit lazy on the booker's behalf. Would like to see a different int act there seeing as the Friday and Saturday are generally quite Irish heavy.

This festival in Kent in England is happening in the same weekend, I think it would be an inspired choice if they booked the John Butler Trio, their type of music would go down an absolute treat at Body&Soul. They are in Kent on the Friday and Paris on 22nd so it still leaves Sunday 23rd free.

img_0713.jpg

• Advertisement

this is ridiculous, more chat about Body&Soul please thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

B&S is soooooo last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

having been to around 30 - 40 festivals (including repeats) of all sizes B&S is one I've never been to - so... what's so good about it eh? ;)

What am I missing out on?

In Ireland I've done

Witnness
    Oxegen
    EP
    Life Festival
    Knockenstocken
    Castle Palooza
    Sea Sessions
    Forbidden Fruit
    Beatyard
    Longitude
    All Together Now

Abroad:
    Glastonbury
    Rock Am Ring
    Worldwide Festival
    Mad Cool

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    having been to around 30 - 40 festivals (including repeats) of all sizes B&S is one I've never been to - so... what's so good about it eh? ;)

In Ireland I've done

Witnness
    Oxegen
    EP
    Life Festival
    Knockenstocken
    Castle Palooza
    Sea Sessions
    Forbidden Fruit
    Beatyard
    Longitude
    All Together Now

Abroad:
    Glastonbury
    Rock Am Ring
    Worldwide Festival
    Mad Cool

Its just a great little festival with sound heads and a decent elective music mix, a lot of thought goes into the creation of the stages and installations and the wooded area is simply an amazing place to explore. Worth checking out. Some of my reviews over the last year or two.

https://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2017/06/29/body-soul-festival-2017-festival-review/

https://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2018/06/28/bodysoul-2018-festival-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

tempted for this as we've a wedding on ATN weekend but €200+ is wayyyy too expensive for that lineup. i'll go if i can get a cheap ticket the week of it on toutless

Do you want lineup focussed chat or just jibber jabber? To be honest, my enthusiasm for it is way down given the lineup. There are a few people I wouldn't mind seeing, but no one I'd absolutely have to see.

In terms of the festival, the weather will make it or break it. Hopefully, thanks in no small part to the irreversible and extistentially dangerous impact of human activities, we seem to be getting nice weather weather in these last years before humanity ends. Hopefully this means that the June solstice this year will be as good as it was last year.

I'd like to see a craft beer pub/area in B&S this year. I realise I can bring cans but to be honest I'm ok paying a little more for cold nice beers that I don't have to lug around all the time. A mix of both is ideal.

I'm a little worried that they haven't come out with the second lineup yet. It's their ten year anniversary, I would've thought they could do something good for it.

The reason I'm harping on about it is because we are approaching the date last year tomorrow of the second lineup announcement. I'm happy with some of the acts announced too but not bowled over about it, so I'm hoping a few more interesting names to crop up, well a reggae act like Chronixx last year. I'm hoping maybe they might bag Protoje, their Glastonbury performance on the West Holts a few years back impressed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MichaelM93l

Since the first announcement got stuck in listening to all the acts and pleasantly surprised by some of the acts I’ve never heard of before and a lot of them being dance based.

Hoping that the second announcement will add a bit more of a kick and generate a bit more buzz because right now it feels a little underwhelming even by the marketing point of view.

Would love to see SOPHIE & Kim Petra’s added to the line up to mix things up a little.

Well scrap Protoje he is playing the US on the same weekend, so maybe Toots & the Maytals.

http://www.protoje.com/tour

Well fcuk it anyway Toots also playing the US.

https://www.songkick.com/artists/39010-toots-and-the-maytals/calendar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »

In Ireland I've done

Witnness
    Oxegen
    EP
    Life Festival
    Knockenstocken
    Castle Palooza
    Sea Sessions
    Forbidden Fruit
    Beatyard
    Longitude
    All Together Now

Abroad:
    Glastonbury
    Rock Am Ring
    Worldwide Festival
    Mad Cool

I've been to more or less all of the Irish festivals you have listed other than Knockanstockan, Witness and Sea Sessions. Body & Soul is a different experience to all of them I think and it is worth going to check out.

There is a lovely atmosphere at the festival, it's a festival where people are walking around with a smile on their face. Quite chilled out during the day and plenty to explore with the wooded area, main stage, walled gardens, Reckless in Love, Absolut Bar all places you could spend an afternoon easily. At night it does become a bit more loose and whether you are a late night reveler or someone looking to chill out at a gig there will be something for you. IMO it attracts the type of crowd you want at a festival, mature yet up for a party, the right balance of madness I think.

It never feels too busy at any particular stage and it's a great festival to just go for a wander around the place and find cool places or installments to sit down and have a drink. Great food stalls around the place. The free flow booze policy definitely makes it feel less rushed than a lot of festivals, once you are in you are in and there are no more security checks. I have gone in 2014, 2015, 2017 & 2018 and they have all been excellent (well, 2017 only ok for me).

BUT the lineup is rarely enticing enough to make me want to instantly buy a ticket. I have tickets for AVA, ATN & EP this summer purchased a while at this stage, yet B&S will be one I will decide on in the week of despite how much I have enjoyed it. It's hard to know if they booked a huge lineup one year would it take away from the rest of the festival, I can only guess this is why they choose to have fairly eclectic lineups. In terms of enjoyment it is up there with any festival I've been to but in terms of musical acts I can probably count on one hand the amount (non-Irish acts!) that I really felt were memorable gigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Update from b&s. More acts soon

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Peesh89

keithkk16 wrote: »
    Update from b&s. More acts soon

Would be very lovely to get a lil extra lineup this afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Its just a great little festival with sound heads and a decent elective music mix, a lot of thought goes into the creation of the stages and installations and the wooded area is simply an amazing place to explore. Worth checking out. Some of my reviews over the last year or two.

https://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2017/06/29/body-soul-festival-2017-festival-review/

https://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2018/06/28/bodysoul-2018-festival-review/

good stuff - would liked to have caught that fever ray set in 2018.

I'll have to get down there, it's long over due..

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MichaelM93l

second announcement coming soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

how much is car parking for the weekend, family 7 seater if that makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

judeboy101 wrote: »
    how much is car parking for the weekend, family 7 seater if that makes a difference

No charge for parking, not that I seen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

There's no charge - this ain't Kaleidoscope ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

MJohnston wrote: »
    There's no charge - this ain't Kaleidoscope ;)

Lol Missus is keen on kaleidoscope, me not so much. What's story at b&s with regards soul kids etc is it free for activities &workshops for kids ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Lol Missus is keen on kaleidoscope, me not so much. What's story at b&s with regards soul kids etc is it free for activities &workshops for kids ?

Yep!

• Advertisement

Some of the acts touring around France during the latter part of June.

garorockposter.jpg

Advertisement