Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul Festival 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Wondering if this will be an instagram announcement today.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Peesh89

Wondering if this will be an instagram announcement today.

Would make the grey day nicer at lunchtime but they seem to announce later on in the day usually...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Haven't heard of any of them to be honest!

Some of the acts added: Mashrou’ Leila, The Black Lips, King Kong Company, Confidence Man, TPM, Chymera, Moxie, FEET, Molly Sterling, Junior Brother, Proper Nicro NV, Sing Along Social, PrYmary Colours, Kitt Philippa, Mak, Just Mustard,happyalone, EMBRZ.

Mashrou Leila: Mashrou’ Leila is a Lebanese five-member indie rock band. The band formed in Beirut, Lebanon in 2008 as a music workshop at the American University of Beirut.

The Black Lips: Black Lips is a garage rock band from Atlanta, Georgia. The Black Lips are noted for provocative theatrics – including vomiting (Cole's medical condition), urination, nudity, electric R.C. car races, fireworks, a chicken, flaming guitars and other un-predictable antics. These have been inspired by the "punk-before-punk" Viennese Actionism movement in Austria and the infamous actionist hardcore punk musician GG Allin according to Alexander.

King Kong Company: no need for an introduction here. :)

Confidence Man: Confidence Man are an electro pop band from Brisbane, Australia formed in 2016, who released their debut album "Confident Music For Confident People" on April 13, 2018.

TPM: T.P.M. are brothers Charles & Andrew Hendy. Coming from Co. Louth, influenced by the dole, depression and anxiety.

Chymera: Chymera, Irish producer based in Berlin. Producing since 2002, from deep house to techno on respected labels such as Delsin, Ovum, Connaisseur, NRK, Cocoon, Figure and Kompakt. Creates ambient synthscapes as Merrin Karras.

Moxie: Neo- Irish band from wild west of Ireland. Tickets for our Sligo gig on our website in bio
    www.moxiemuso.com

FEET: Band formed in 2016. (gleamed from their about Facebook page.) Artists We Also Like
    Tame Impala, Talking Heads, Angel Olson, Parquet Courts, ABBA, Phoenix, The Strokes, Confidence Man, Beastie Boys
    Band Interests
    Joy Division, Jamiroquai, Vulfpeck, Jeff Buckley, David Bowie, Bombay Bicycle Club, King Krule, Homeshake, Beck, Cosmo Pike, Bloc Party.

Molly Sterling: Molly Sterling (20) a young Dublin-based artist that has been steadily creating a firm place for herself within the Irish music scene, being recognised for her tumultuous lyrics, distinctive vocals, dark and brooding arrangements, as well as being remembered for her stand-out live performances.

Junior Brother: Singer from Co. Kerry, Ireland with an acoustic guitar and tambourine playing alternative Irish folk. https://juniorbrother.bandcamp.com/

Proper Nicro NV: Proper Micro NV is the alias of 24 year old Limerick singer, songwriter and electronic music producer Rory Hall.

Sing Along Social: No need for an intro.

Prymary Colours: PrYmary Colours is an electronic act from Ireland. The duo consists of Cayisha on vocals & Daz on production. A two-piece soundscape formed, to give people an alternative option to dance & pop music, with all of their own original music. PrYmary Colours' music is a fusion of electronic beats with soulful vocals. The music pulsates at an energetic level, combining elements of the club scene with the the ingredients of catchy popular tunes.

Kitt Philippa: Kitt Philippa (KP) searches for grace, and the luminous, in words met with music. Although raised on classical, the songs are strangely urban and often conveyed with digital sleight. An organ scholar and an experimentalist, KP plays piano, guitar, clarinet, prayer bowl and bicycle wheel.

Mak: Are from Quebec and Montreal in Canada, a five piece band. https://makofficial.bandcamp.com/

Just Mustard: Just Mustard are a 5 piece band from Dundalk, Ireland. https://justmustard.bandcamp.com/

Happyalone: Happyalone, a Cork band who's sound has been compared to Massive Attack and DJ Shadow, have exploded on the Irish music scene in 2018; their first single “colours” being championed by Spotify and going to number 1 on the Irish Viral 50. They have since been nominated as Irish Times “New Artist of The Week” in June and went on to win RTE 2FM’s Play The Picnic competition in July.

EMBRZ: EMBRZ aka Jack Casey, is all about lush melodies, epic moments and a naturally whimsical tone, often laced with nostalgic vocals. His music sonically oozes playfulness, maturity and is emotional electronic music at its core. The self-taught multi-instrumentalist weaves a plethora of influences, to provide rounded and organic sounding music. Finding it difficult to identify with one specific genre, EMBRZs defines himself as a pioneer of emotional dance music.

Since I didn't know too much about these acts I done a little Googling and checked their Bandcamp, Breaking Tunes and Facebook pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

always amused by how haphazard they are at announcing things.
    The Last Mixedtape page says there's 50 new acts announced.
    can't find the 50 anywhere.

on their website it has most of the ones listed above, but is missing a few (eg. EMBRZ), but also has some others not mentioned above (Fonda, Lowlek, Extravision), and certainly nowhere near 50.

Nothing at all on their facebook/twitter/instagram....

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

Hotpress says 50 also, but you need a subscription to view the page...either way some interesting additions, nothing earth shattering but plenty to discover btn now and June.

**edit

The latest acts set to play as part of the Body & Soul, now in its tenth year, this summer include Mashrou’ Leila, The Black Lips, King Kong Company, Confidence Man, FEET, Molly Sterling, Junior Brother, Proper Micro NV, PrYmary Colours, Kitt Philippa, Sing Along Social, Æ Mak, Just Mustard, happyalone, EMBRZ, Homebeat, Sevensol (Kann), Cáit, Neil Flynn, Automatic Tasty. Chymera, Mother DJs, DISCONAUTS, Claire Beck, Kelly-Anne Byrne, Kate Brennan Harding, Faune (live), Victoria Secret, Pixie Woo, Regina George, Drag Aerobic, TPM, Post Punk Podge & The Technohippies, Fonda, Extravision, Lowlek, Ghostking is Dead, Eve Clague, Nudy Boy Nature, Myles Manley, Fixity , Arbutus Yarns Theatre, Moxie, John Francis, Marlene Enright, JP Trio, DJ Donal Dinee, Conor Connolly, Anna Mullarkey, Lewis Kenny, Peter Pamf, Sam Clague, Róisín Seoighe, Hatchlings, Sive, Jane Willow, Meabh Begley, Helen Diamond; Cian Finn , Riona Madigan , Niall Thomas and Cat Dowling.

whelzer wrote: »
    Hotpress says 50 also, but you need a subscription to view the page...either way some interesting additions, nothing earth shattering but plenty to discover btn now and June.

**edit

The latest acts set to play as part of the Body & Soul, now in its tenth year, this summer include Mashrou’ Leila, The Black Lips, King Kong Company, Confidence Man, FEET, Molly Sterling, Junior Brother, Proper Micro NV, PrYmary Colours, Kitt Philippa, Sing Along Social, Mak, Just Mustard, happyalone, EMBRZ, Homebeat, Sevensol (Kann), C, Neil Flynn, Automatic Tasty. Chymera, Mother DJs, DISCONAUTS, Claire Beck, Kelly-Anne Byrne, Kate Brennan Harding, Faune (live), Victoria Secret, Pixie Woo, Regina George, Drag Aerobic, TPM, Post Punk Podge & The Technohippies, Fonda, Extravision, Lowlek, Ghostking is Dead, Eve Clague, Nudy Boy Nature, Myles Manley, Fixity , Arbutus Yarns Theatre, Moxie, John Francis, Marlene Enright, JP Trio, DJ Donal Dinee, Conor Connolly, Anna Mullarkey, Lewis Kenny, Peter Pamf, Sam Clague, Rn Seoighe, Hatchlings, Sive, Jane Willow, Meabh Begley, Helen Diamond; Cian Finn , Riona Madigan , Niall Thomas and Cat Dowling.

Nice one Neil Flynn again woo hoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Was hoping it was Moxie the DJ not the band

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Was expecting more for their ten year anniversary. I think they will be doing well to sell all tickets at €200 a pop for this. If they release day tickets closer to the time like they did last year I might go for the night The Blaze are playing.

• Advertisement

keithkk16 wrote: »
    Was hoping it was Moxie the DJ not the band
    Until its actually announced, it could be the DJ as I got that info from Google. Usually when the name appears on the B&S website you can click on the name and check who it is.

Edit: Just checked their Facebook page and in their tour Body&Soul is mentioned, so it is the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The Black Keys are a great addition, and I'm going to dig into Mashrou a bit as the taster I just had on Spotify was delicious indeed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

MJohnston wrote: »
    The Black Keys are a great addition

If only!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

That would be a great addition :pac: There are some good additions there to be fair. King KOng Company especially.

If only!

Ha, dammit, I saw The Black ___ and then "garage rock" on their website and my brain misinterpreted!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

The Black Keys are a great addition, and I'm going to dig into Mashrou a bit as the taster I just had on Spotify was delicious indeed.

Mashrou played a good set at ATN last year

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

Mashrou played a good set at ATN last year

On first listening I like them, also Confidence Man - in a weird sort of not my usual thing way...

I stumbled across Junior Brother's music a couple of weeks ago, and I'm addicted. That'll be a really interesting set.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I stumbled across Junior Brother's music a couple of weeks ago, and I'm addicted. That'll be a really interesting set.
    playing the Grand Social in Dublin this Thursday if you want to see him before that.

playing the Grand Social in Dublin this Thursday if you want to see him before that.

I wish! Having a kid means festivals are my one chance of the year to catch all the acts I've wanted to for the rest of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

Was expecting more for their ten year anniversary. I think they will be doing well to sell all tickets at €200 a pop for this. If they release day tickets closer to the time like they did last year I might go for the night The Blaze are playing.

Agree, there is a slight hint of despair in amount tweets and last chance spring tickets. Some good acts, but nowhere near enough to justify the price and the "experience" doesn't fill the gap. Probably my last year, time to venture elsewhere for better acts.

Peterd66 wrote: »
    Agree, there is a slight hint of despair in amount tweets and last chance spring tickets. Some good acts, but nowhere near enough to justify the price and the "experience" doesn't fill the gap. Probably my last year, time to venture elsewhere for better acts.

I was listening to a podcast today that had the creators of B&S Avril Standly and Jenny Wren on chatting about the festival and how its been around for 10 years and all that kind of stuff, the art the location etc, but when It came around to talking about the music and the line up, one of them couldn't even name one act and the other could only name 3 before she had to look up the line up on her phone :(

It's my 5th year in a row going and probably my last year too, not that I don't like the line ups or anything, I actually love most of them and finding weird and interesting music that I wouldn't of heard of before, but it just feels like we're paying more for the art than we are for the music artists. I'm going to AVA fest in Belfast and they have the same kind of artistic vibe as B&S with lots of art installations with mostly electronic acts, but I paid like 50 euro for a ticket.

Also mentioned in the podcast was that they got a 100,000 euro arts grant for this year. So I hope the place looks fcuking spectacular :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Saw him at EP last year in one of the B&S areas. Couldnt tell if he was incredibly earnest or if he was taking the piss out of earnest singer songwriters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

keithkk16 wrote: »
    I was listening to a podcast today that had the creators of B&S Avril Standly and Jenny Wren on chatting about the festival and how its been around for 10 years and all that kind of stuff, the art the location etc, but when It came around to talking about the music and the line up, one of them couldn't even name one act and the other could only name 3 before she had to look up the line up on her phone :(

It's my 5th year in a row going and probably my last year too, not that I don't like the line ups or anything, I actually love most of them and finding weird and interesting music that I wouldn't of heard of before, but it just feels like we're paying more for the art than we are for the music artists. I'm going to AVA fest in Belfast and they have the same kind of artistic vibe as B&S with lots of art installations with mostly electronic acts, but I paid like 50 euro for a ticket.

Also mentioned in the podcast was that they got a 100,000 euro arts grant for this year. So I hope the place looks fcuking spectacular :D

What podcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭hugeglobe

On first listening I like them, also Confidence Man - in a weird sort of not my usual thing way...

They played at the Beatyard last year, they filled in St.Germain's spot (if my memory serves me right?) who couldn't make it. Apparently they stole the show and their live set is something to behold, so it's worth going for a look.

Just had a nose at a few of their live vids on youtube, definitely on my list now. Serious moves.

What podcast?

It was something from Her.ie that randomly popped up on my twitter feed, Girl Goals or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Saw them at Beatyard and they were great fun. Defo go see them.

A few more acts announced today
    IAMDDB, Octavian, Ms Banks, MangoXMathman and Kneecap.

https://nialler9.com/iamddb-octavian-bodysoul/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭heno86

Anyone any idea if this will sell out? I’m trying to get a group going and most can’t get tickets for a few weeks?

Advertisement