Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business travel

Options
  • 09-01-2019 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I normally work 9-5 with a few business trips through-out the year.

I am in process of currently trying to organize a short-haul trip for next week which was sprung on me last minute. I am attending several meetings that day and my employer seems to be expecting me to fly out and fly back same day.

I normally wouldn't have any issue but I feel that it's a bit unreasonable in this instance as due to several factors out of my control it would result in me having to be up at 4am that morning and not reach my home until after 10pm that night. I don't get overtime and I won't get any time in lieu.

Usually if this happened I would have been permitted to stay in a hotel/apartment close to the offices the meetings are being held in the night before. I had expected that it would be the same on this occasion so that I could at least get up at a reasonable hour, especially given that I will already be arriving back late Friday night with the trip eating into my weekend.

Do you think it is fair of me to request this from my employer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

I had a similar experience however I was only in door so couldn't really complain.

I think it's very unfair to be honest and if something happened to you say for instance driving home from the airport would your company be liable?

I think you should raise it with your manager and have your concerns written down in advance and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I wouldn't work an 18 hour day for anyone. Request an overnight stay with time or refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Tell them u taking the next day off to recover from the travel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Masala wrote: »
    Tell them u taking the next day off to recover from the travel
    The'll prob say 'go ahead, fine' see you Mon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Part and parcel of any job to be honest really.

I travel regularly on Mondays on a 6.30am flight and get home about 9-10 that night. I prefer to stay the extra night in my own bed on the Sunday and if I'm in bits I'll work from home on the Tuesday. However, if I wanted to fly on Sunday night and stay in a hotel, that would be fine too. Don't expect any time in lieu due to having to travel on a Sunday though.

Lol at the "18 hour day" comment by the way. Does that poster think they clock in the moment the alarm goes off?!

• Advertisement

I travel regularly on Mondays on a 6.30am flight and get home about 9-10 that night. I prefer to stay the extra night in my own bed on the Sunday and if I'm in bits I'll work from home on the Tuesday. However, if I wanted to fly on Sunday night and stay in a hotel, that would be fine too. Don't expect any time in lieu due to having to travel on a Sunday though.

Lol at the "18 hour day" comment by the way. Does that poster think they clock in the moment the alarm goes off?!

Travel from home on a business trip is work time. It's only part and parcel of a company that abuses its employees.

It's generally specified that it is not working time. If you work in a role where business travel is required (this will/should be established at the outset) this will almost certainly be the case. If you sign the contract, you agree to the terms

Roles with this requirement tend to be more professional/management type roles and thus adequate and appropriation is already built into the remuneration package. If you're a barman earning 7e an hour and you get asked to travel for some reason, then yes, that would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I regularly (once a month or so) do those kind of trips, where I fly to London or Paris or elsewhere, do a few meetings and fly home that night. These days can often come to 18-20 hours or more, from the time I leave home until I get back. I always take the following day off, bar answering a few calls if I need to. This would be fairly standard in most companies in my experience.

It's generally specified that it is not working time. If you work in a role where business travel is required (this will/should be established at the outset) this will almost certainly be the case. If you sign the contract, you agree to the terms

Roles with this requirement tend to be more professional/management type roles and thus adequate and appropriation is already built into the remuneration package. If you're a barman earning 7e an hour and you get asked to travel for some reason, then yes, that would be different.

If you have a specific place of work then travel time is work time. Even if it it wasn't and the op has a one hour commute each way it's still 16 hours working for the company.

If you have a specific place of work then travel time is work time. Even if it it wasn't and the op has a one hour commute each way it's still 16 hours working for the company.

This is just plain wrong. You are not paid the moment the wake up in the morning (as your calculation implies) to the moment you walk in the door at night).

This will all be in the contract the OP signed. There's no infringement of rights here.

As for the original question, is it reasonable to request travelling on the Sunday and an overnight to avoid a 4am start? Absolutely, as long as you don't expect additional compensation, either time in lieu or overtime. Can the employer refuse it? Probably. Would any reasonable employer refuse it? Almost certainly not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I have my own rule for business travel. I travel out on my time and back on company time. So in your case op I’d have no problem getting the early flight out but I’d be staying overnight and getting a mid morning flight back the following day.

I suppose I’m lucky in that we’re left to manage our travel ourselves so we can pick and choose.

I’ve done the 18 hours days. You get no thanks for it so I just don’t do it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I've to do this sometimes with my work. 6.30am flight over and a 7pm flight home. Means I'm gone from my house from 5am until 9.30pm. Is it fun, nope not at all. However I would prefer to sleep in my own bed at night and it's not a regular occurrence so I do it. If it started to become more regular than I might have an issue but 3 times a year isn't too much for me.

OP maybe have a word with your boss about coming in a little later the next day. If travelling for work is in your contract and they need you back in your normal office (or can't justify the overnight stay in the budget) then you my have a fight to get the night's stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If you're travelling for work, you're at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I would word things like this:

You know of course I'm happy to travel for business needs, but having to get up so early is going to make me very tired, which I don't think is best for these meetings. It would be better if I was able to get a good nights sleep and be fresh and positive for the next day. I think it would be better if I stayed the night there so I can give the meeting my best shot.

Etc etc.

So you're being a team player and it seems like you're putting the business first.

If you're travelling for work, you're at work.

No, you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

No, you're not.

Well the constant advertising on the radio telling employers they are responsible for their employees when they are travelling to work would suggest otherwise.

No, you're not.

Note that I said "for work" and not "to work". You are not at work when commuting to your normal place of business, but you are when travelling to other locations. Even if it's outside of clock-in time.

If you do not have a fixed place of work, all travel time, including commuting to appointments is considered work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Absolute rubbish. Just because you don't have a problem with it, doesn't mean there's no problem. Opinions like this are the reason unions are so vital.

Check the EU rulings on travelling and see if it covers you OP. Also have a look into the minimum break time between working days. I believe it's 11 hours.

At the very least, you should be travelling home on company time.

No, you're not.

Note that I said "for work" and not "to work". You are not at work when commuting to your normal place of business, but you are when travelling to other locations. Even if it's outside of clock-in time.

If you do not have a fixed place of work, all travel time, including commuting to appointments is considered work.

By who?! If your job requires business travel, this will be specified in the contract and will detail your entitlement to any additional compensation as a result.

This is just plain wrong. You are not paid the moment the wake up in the morning (as your calculation implies) to the moment you walk in the door at night).

This will all be in the contract the OP signed. There's no infringement of rights here.

As for the original question, is it reasonable to request travelling on the Sunday and an overnight to avoid a 4am start? Absolutely, as long as you don't expect additional compensation, either time in lieu or overtime. Can the employer refuse it? Probably. Would any reasonable employer refuse it? Almost certainly not.

Actually if you have no fixed place of work the time you leave the house is work time until you get home again and subject to breaks, pay etc. European courts found this in the TYCO case back in 2015. It's different if you're have a fixed place of work and excludes your commute but if you are driving to the airport for a customer meeting you are at your employers disposal and it's company time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

No, you're not.

You can keep on insisting your opinion is correct, but the law doesn't agree with you.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34210002

By who?! If your job requires business travel, this will be specified in the contract and will detail your entitlement to any additional compensation as a result.

It might well be, but the law provides for minimum entitlements.

Absolute rubbish. Just because you don't have a problem with it, doesn't mean there's no problem. Opinions like this are the reason unions are so vital.

Check the EU rulings on travelling and see if it covers you OP. Also have a look into the minimum break time between working days. I believe it's 11 hours.

At the very least, you should be travelling home on company time.

And opinions like this are why people get fed up with Luas and Dublin Bus drivers.

The OP has stated this is an unusual request because of the timing. Business travel is part of his job. This trip has been sprung on him last minute. Sometimes **** happens and something comes up. His employer has made an inconvenient, but not necessarily unreasonable request. The OP is perfectly entitled to reasonably expect some flexibility in return.

The screaming response from several people on this thread of "refuse or demand x, y and z" is so telling. All this would serve to do is sour relations.

If the OP has a good relationship with the employer and is happy in the job, just do it. If you can work from home the next day or come in late or leave early, great. No reasonable employer will take issue with this. But running about the place demanding that his 9 hours or whatever of travel time counts as working time and he's thus entitled to overtime or time in lieu, or both is just absolute nonsense

Tabnabs wrote: »
    No, you're not.

You can keep on insisting your opinion is correct, but the law doesn't agree with you.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34210002

Well done on your frantically unsuccessful attempt to Google a legal response to an opinion you disagree with. Did you even read it?

"Time spent travelling to and from first and last appointments by workers without a fixed office should be regarded as working time, the European Court of Justice has ruled."

This is, presumably, not the case for the OP.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Well done on your frantically unsuccessful attempt to Google a legal response to an opinion you disagree with. Did you even read it?

"Time spent travelling to and from first and last appointments by workers without a fixed office should be regarded as working time, the European Court of Justice has ruled."

EU Working Time Directive, something you are clearly not familiar with.

In the case of the OP, it would fit perfectly as they are travelling to a location(s) which do not normally fall within the definition of a fixed office.

You are the only one here telling the OP to suck it up, maybe you need a little time to rethink your position?

And opinions like this are why people get fed up with Luas and Dublin Bus drivers.

The OP has stated this is an unusual request because of the timing. Business travel is part of his job. This trip has been sprung on him last minute. Sometimes **** happens and something comes up. His employer has made an inconvenient, but not necessarily unreasonable request. The OP is perfectly entitled to reasonably expect some flexibility in return.

The screaming response from several people on this thread of "refuse or demand x, y and z" is so telling. All this would serve to do is sour relations.

If the OP has a good relationship with the employer and is happy in the job, just do it. If you can work from home the next day or come in late or leave early, great. No reasonable employer will take issue with this. But running about the place demanding that his 9 hours or whatever of travel time counts as working time and he's thus entitled to overtime or time in lieu, or both is just absolute nonsense

No reasonable employer would expect an employee to run around for them for 18 hours without offering an overnight stay or extra time off.

You are flat out wrong about travel time. Look up ISS Ireland limited v gfencheva. The HSA website also states a commute is not work time except when the journey starts from home and you are travelling to a work location that is not your normal place of work.

The travel time counts towards the working hours max also.

Just because you've been shown to be wrong you dismiss it as absolute nonsense.

I wouldn't consider demanding I'm compensated for my working time as an unreasonable request. Do you work for free?

I've shown the flexible attitude you've advocated for in the past, and you know what, it gets completely taken advantage of. If I were the OP my course of action would be to take two half days in the week following to ensure I got my toil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Bet you're sorry you asked now OP :D

Tabnabs wrote: »

EU Working Time Directive, something you are clearly not familiar with.

In the case of the OP, it would fit perfectly as they are travelling to a location(s) which do not normally fall within the definition of a fixed office.

You are the only one here telling the OP to suck it up, maybe you need a little time to rethink your position?

How is the working time directive being infringed here?! It specifies that you can't have employees work more than 48 hours a week on average over a period of something like 3 months here

Even if the employer was to refuse every request and the OP travelled on Monday morning (let's say he leaves the house at 5am) and walks back in his front door at 10pm and is back in work at 9am on the Tuesday, the company isn't in breach of the directive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Wow,

Things de-escalate here quick!!

OP, i used to be in your situation, more often that I liked TBH.

Are you looking for advice, suggestions etc?
    I would advise that you say it your employer, nicely, that as you are expecting a long day of it with travel, flights, meetings, etc that do they mind if you stay at the hotel the night before (if you want to) and would they mind you logging on at home the following day.

Really, if it is private industry they shouldn't have an issue, be it you being on the phone the following day and at home or staying in a hotel, and if its public usually they have a list of previous conditions to things like this.
    Hope this helps.

Advertisement