Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mountrath mart closing

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭morphy87

boggerman1 wrote: »
    The best auctioneer by a mile,David O'Connell.whenever he retires from the business Thurles will have some job replacing him.when I used to work there they had a guy Willie troy think he sells in Newport mart who was good too.knew the game well and took no messing

hopefully that will be a while yet,its great seeing him at work always livens the place up,how long is he in thurles now? thurles is turing into some mart now with all the work the last few years,were doing another exstension onto one of the sheds before christmas and have top class washing facilites free of charge,well run mart and all the boys working down around the pens are sound out aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

morphy87 wrote: »
    A man with a beard? if so in my opinion and a lot of others he is one of the best auctioneers in the country takes no messing off the dealers and he can pick you out very easy when bidding and he is very easy to understand and also you know when you are in the cattle unlike some auctioneers and he always try’s very hard for the seller and when trying to buy he will come back to you a few times before he drops the hammer

That's him. A gent, and easily is worth an extra 30/50 head in the weanling sales if you are selling. He ripps the odd dealer a new one every now and again and every farmer is in stitches. He's very highly respected by everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

20silkcut wrote: »
    For al it’s ‘super’ aspects it puts you up on a bloody pedestal behind the auctioneer when your selling.
    You’d nearly feel like your the one being sold.

Fermoy ain’t much better. Your out on view as well, however that doesn’t bother me, what does is the put your name and address on a big board alongside the weight. If your not from nearby and have travelled a distance, the dealers can see this and take the p*ss accordingly. Don’t go there anymore. Go to Roscrea now and agree totally with everyone else. The auctioneer David really makes an effort. tries to squeeze an honest price for you, which is all you can ask for really.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Fermoy ain’t much better. Your out on view as well, however that doesn’t bother me, what does is the put your name and address on a big board alongside the weight. If your not from nearby and have travelled a distance, the dealers can see this and take the p*ss accordingly. Don’t go there anymore. Go to Roscrea now and agree totally with everyone else. The auctioneer David really makes an effort. tries to squeeze an honest price for you, which is all you can ask for really.

I thought the name and address business was standard in all marts in recent years?
    If the proposals on rating your herds Tb risk status are implemented it will really have an impact on certain cattle. If you had a few lots picked out and then see that they came from a high risk herd how many lads would willing bid for them?

If the proposals on rating your herds Tb risk status are implemented it will really have an impact on certain cattle. If you had a few lots picked out and then see that they came from a high risk herd how many lads would willing bid for them?

I’m a sheep farmer

• Advertisement

I’m a sheep farmer

The sheep sales can vary depending on if there sold through the ring or in the pens. If sold through the ring most marts display the information on the board the same as for cattle namely lot number, weight, number of animals and the herd or flock owners details.

In cases where the auctioneer walks along the boards and sells them in the pens I've yet to see a sellers details listed or announced. The weight may be displayed or just announced along with the particulars of the lot. However the absence of a sellers box means the auctioneer will usually converse with the seller who is somewhere in the crowd. Therefore staying anonymous is difficult to achieve, I'm not the most outgoing myself but it's not something that overly bothers me.

I find that having a reasonable price in mind and knowing your stock leaves it a straight forward transaction. It's not in anyone's interest to see stock going unsold so a fair deal can usually be achieved if all parties have reasonable expectations.

Sheep are straightforward. Vast majority end up in factory a hour or two after the mart finishes at the hand of dealers. I prefer a mart where my address isn’t up on the board. No issue with weights etc and bird bia status my sheep. I couldn’t care whether or not I’m in view of the dealers. However I’ve stopped going to Marts that displayed my address. This is because there’s no good sheep mart near me and when the dealers saw that I travelled from another county or long distance, they were giving me lower on my sheep, thinking that I wouldn’t want to go home with a full trailer, after traveling the distance. Happened to me on a good few occasions. Have spoken to numerous other sellers who were experiencing the same carry on. course this isn’t a issue when my address isn’t up on a board.

I see your point as to lads believing you were committed to selling having travelled a distance and using the above as leverage. Everyone has to make the best decisions based on the circumstances thrust upon them. I would commend making the choice to hold out for a fairer price, in similar situations I would probably have taken the beating and tried to be wiser the next time.

It's up to you to do as you think best and my observations aren't meant as critism, only my interpretation of the facts as I see them. Switching to a different mart may well have worked for you and that's all that matters.

Your right there. It takes guts walking away on days like that, because your under pressure to do better next time. You’d be doubting yourself as to whether or not you made the right decision. Especially when your stuck for money and no guarantee it will be any better the next day. In contrast, on a good day where your animals sold well or even exceed expectation , you feel on top of the world. All the bad memories are swept away and forgotten fast. All part and parcel of it really. You just have to give yourself the best chance really, be it mart or factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Around tipp here roscrea, templemore, thurles, nenagh, Newport all within 40 mins of each other.

• Advertisement

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Around tipp here roscrea, templemore, thurles, nenagh, Newport all within 40 mins of each other.

Don't know how tempelmore is staying open to be honest. I'd it's day is nearly done too. You could get 200 more for good Ch/lim Heifers in roscrea and it's only a few minutes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Don't know how tempelmore is staying open to be honest. I'd it's day is nearly done too. You could get 200 more for good Ch/lim Heifers in roscrea and it's only a few minutes away.

Really? Surely the buyers would cop on to this and head to templemore ? This idea that some marts have better prices than others is nonsense.

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Really? Surely the buyers would cop on to this and head to templemore ? This idea that some marts have better prices than others is nonsense.

Yes, most go to roscrea now but some lads just stick with what they know. Some marts are better than others for a certain type of stock. It all depends on who is buying. I know one mart that won't be beat for price in the country for good Ch/lim/SIM stores. It's because of stud farms buying there and others willing to push them. At one time mountrath couldn't be beet for price for EU grade weanlings because it had every exporter around the ring.

Know where your customers are buying is half the battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Yes, most go to roscrea now but some lads just stick with what they know. Some marts are better than others for a certain type of stock. It all depends on who is buying. I know one mart that won't be beet for price in the country for good Ch/lim/SIM stores. It's because of stud farms buying there and others willing to push them. At one time mountrath couldn't be beet for price for EU grade weanlings because it had every exporter around the ring.

Know where your customers are buying is half the battle.

Farmers around me will travel 20 miles if they think they can buy cheaper in one mart than another. It all evens out in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,809 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

...... I know one mart that won't be beat for price in the country for good Ch/lim/SIM stores. It's because of stud farms buying there and others willing to push them. At one time mountrath couldn't be beet for price for EU grade weanlings because it had every exporter around the ring.....

Well, what mart is that?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

Big variations in Mart’s around me in the north east. There’s a Mart I’d bring cows to as there’s a lad or two who’ll kill other over cows. I used to bring all heifers to a Mart but it lost two good buyers and good heifers would be back at least 150 since. Then there’s the one or two spots where the tanglers have destroyed, normal farmers just stopped going. Thankfully ones closed but I see the dregs have tried bullying into a different one and it’s loosing both customers and sellers hand over fist. Don’t be naive and think it’ll balance out, Mart’s can be very tricky spots if you don’t know what to look out for.

It's not all nonsense, how do you think the whole dealing process works? Targeting your customers is vitally important.

Certain stock suit different marts due to the selection of customers ringside. Our local wouldn't be that hot for bullocks or export quality calves but is the place for any type of cow. There's heaps of lads to buy any type of a cow from a 100 euro to 2000 euro and therefore it's packed out with culls week after week. There's lads buying cows in other marts every day of the week and showing them with us, there getting money after haulage and commission so obviously there's cheaper cows else where.

I see cattle that are bought in a certain Mayo super mart being showed else where in the county on a weekly basis. The same lads are sticking at it so must be getting money on them. It's not an easy lifestyle but if your tuned in to the job and prepared to put in the hours it can be done.

Failing to target the correct type of stock to the buyers present is akin to bringing a knife to a gun fight, your on to a loser from the outset. I regularly see a Tipperary based dealer showing cattle in a Roscommon mart, it's hardly to pass the time that he's driving up and down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

It's not all nonsense, how do you think the whole dealing process works? Targeting your customers is vitally important.

Certain stock suit different marts due to the selection of customers ringside. Our local wouldn't be that hot for bullocks or export quality calves but is the place for any type of cow. There's heaps of lads to buy any type of a cow from a 100 euro to 2000 euro and therefore it's packed out with culls week after week. There's lads buying cows in other marts every day of the week and showing them with us, there getting money after haulage and commission so obviously there's cheaper cows else where.

I see cattle that are bought in a certain Mayo super mart being showed else where in the county on a weekly basis. The same lads are sticking at it so must be getting money on them. It's not an easy lifestyle but if your tuned in to the job and prepared to put in the hours it can be done.

Failing to target the correct type of stock to the buyers present is akin to bringing a knife to a gun fight, your on to a loser from the outset. I regularly see a Tipperary based dealer showing cattle in a Roscommon mart, it's hardly to pass the time that he's driving up and down the road.

Balla?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭morphy87

How is Nenagh mart going now? would it get many pens of bullocks in the autumn and spring? What day is the calf’s and weanlings sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

Have the Committtee and Shareholders finally decided to sell Mountrath Mart?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Have the Committtee and Shareholders finally decided to sell Mountrath Mart?

I haven't heard what is happening but as far as I'm aware an AGM will be taking place in April

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

There was a meeting last week and it’s going to be reopened. It’s going to be run by a guy from Cork. Good news moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Why would buyers pay f200 extra instead of going to the cheaper mart?

Advertisement