Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In-service training for new Junior Cert.

Options
  • 09-01-2019 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

I'm aware that, last January, secondary schools were closed for a day because of in-service training for the new Junior Cert exam system.

It begs the question of why the Croke Park hours are not utilised for this and other in-service training - and I'm aware that the CP hours are done on a whole-school basis but I don't see why it can't be the case that those teachers to whom the training is relevant could do the training in the school while the other teachers could do other things in the school in the CP hours.

Furthermore, why has no thought been given by the Department and the secondary teachers' unions to the idea of video-conferencing between teachers and instructors in the in-service training? It would mean that teachers and instructors would be using their cars a little less often, i.e. global warming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The whole country did not shut down for a day in January last year. Some schools were closed, if training was done by an ETB it might have meant that all the schools in that ETB were closed for training.

If the school was closed it meant that it was training for all staff not just a few of them.

We are expected to do parent teacher meetings and open nights etc for our CP hours. The hours would be used up fairly quickly if they were allocated to whole school training.

There would also be a possible issue of part time teachers not being obliged to attend as they do their CP hours pro-rata.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

I'm aware that, last January, secondary schools were closed for a day because of in-service training for the new Junior Cert exam system.

It begs the question of why the Croke Park hours are not utilised for this and other in-service training - and I'm aware that the CP hours are done on a whole-school basis but I don't see why it can't be the case that those teachers to whom the training is relevant could do the training in the school while the other teachers could do other things in the school in the CP hours.

Furthermore, why has no thought been given by the Department and the secondary teachers' unions to the idea of video-conferencing between teachers and instructors in the in-service training? It would mean that teachers and instructors would be using their cars a little less often, i.e. global warming.

Are you a teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Are you a teacher?

No. But it doesn't mean I can't take an interest in education.

The whole country did not shut down for a day in January last year. Some schools were closed, if training was done by an ETB it might have meant that all the schools in that ETB were closed for training.

If the school was closed it meant that it was training for all staff not just a few of them.

We are expected to do parent teacher meetings and open nights etc for our CP hours. The hours would be used up fairly quickly if they were allocated to whole school training.

There would also be a possible issue of part time teachers not being obliged to attend as they do their CP hours pro-rata.

I said "secondary schools", not "all secondary schools".

The voluntary ones were closed on that day in late January last year - I know that much!

The voluntary ones were closed on that day in late January last year - I know that much!

Well why not say ‘some secondary schools then’?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭amacca

Are some P/T meetings counted for croke park?...the ones that used to be under the old half in/half out agreement maybe?

I was under the impression p/t meetings weren't in croke park

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

In your area, yes. Not everyone lives in your area.

CP hours are/can be used for in-service professional development and they are vouched for.

Thanks for your interest in education, but you're ill-informed.

In your area, yes. Not everyone lives in your area.

CP hours are/can be used for in-service professional development and they are vouched for.

Thanks for your interest in education, but you're ill-informed.

My area is the same as many others in Ireland and so many other voluntary schools in Ireland probably were closed on that day also.

My area is the same as many others in Ireland and so many other voluntary schools in Ireland probably were closed on that day also.

So you don't actually know, you're just making it up??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

Why not keep the children at home, let private business come up with modules for them. No travelling then and no need for teachers.

Your “interest in education” appears to boil down to being anti-teacher.

What field/area are you in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I've literally no idea what point you're trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

No. But it doesn't mean I can't take an interest in education.

I'm actually embarrassed for you. Making a show of yourself.

Classic case of someone with a little information thinking they have knowledge about it. Dangerous assumption to make. Anyway, belt on, I'll get my popcorn. This is hilarious.

I've literally no idea what point you're trying to make.

It was a response to you saying that all secondary schools in my area were closed.

There was a previous in-service training day for English in the new JC at the time of the ASTI's industrial action against the new JC. I heard at the time that schools were closed because of that training.

Do you deny that secondary schools throughout the country were closed on account of in-service training for the new JC?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I hate to tell you, there's a new Leaving Cert on the way now so more training!

It was a response to you saying that all secondary schools in my area were closed.

There was a previous in-service training day for English in the new JC at the time of the ASTI's industrial action against the new JC. I heard at the time that schools were closed because of that training.

Do you deny that secondary schools throughout the country were closed on account of in-service training for the new JC?

Schools don't shut down nationally for inservice. Teachers who work giving inservice travel around to schools in their regions giving inservice. They give training in different regions on different days. Sometimes that's on a school by school basis. Sometimes that's in what is called a cluster group, where several schools attend one large inservice depending on what the training is about. The 700 odd secondary schools do not have coordinated training days where they all shut down together.

In relation to your ASTI point, ASTI teachers were not attending inservice so ASTI schools would not have been shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

dory wrote: »
    I hate to tell you, there's a new Leaving Cert on the way now so more training!

Just whats needed after the glorious success of the Junior Cycle :rolleyes:

Advertisement