Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Transformation 2019

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I worked with a guy who went on this show a few years back - he lost a load of weight on the show but, afterwards, put it all back on and then some.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Keyzer wrote: »
    I worked with a guy who went on this show a few years back - he lost a load of weight on the show but, afterwards, put it all back on and then some.

Out of curiosity, which guy was this if you don't mind me asking? I always wondered do people keep it up. I see a couple have FB pages and they are keeping it up and from looking at this years show you can see last years leaders seem to be staying on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I’d say a lot of eyes will be on the boy from Donegal to see if he keeps losing weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Do you expect them to go from very overweight to normal weight in 8 weeks?

The whole idea is turning their whole lifestyle around to try and make it healthy in a sustainable way that they can continue when RTE pack up and go. It's only supposed to be the beginning of their journey. The transformation is more holistic than just losing the weight. People need to understand why they are in the position they are.

You can argue about how they go about it but expecting them to not be overweight after 8 weeks, given their starting point, is being unrealistic
    What they used to do and haven't really done the past few years is pick one who's only slightly overweight - someone you would look at and think nah he/she's not overweight but technically they are. They don't need to lose a massive amount of weight but do need to improve their eating and exercise and nip and further weight gain in the bud. It's nearly as hard to shift the pounds when you haven't as much to lose. A lot of people in Ireland are possible quite like that. But the past few years it's all about being morbidly obese and having a sob story.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    What they used to do and haven't really done the past few years is pick one who's only slightly overweight - someone you would look at and think nah he/she's not overweight but technically they are. They don't need to lose a massive amount of weight but do need to improve their eating and exercise and nip and further weight gain in the bud. It's nearly as hard to shift the pounds when you haven't as much to lose. A lot of people in Ireland are possible quite like that. But the past few years it's all about being morbidly obese and having a sob story.

Completely agree.

People that don't have a huge amount of weight to lose aren't going to be 'transformed' in 8 weeks though. It's not about losing the weight, it's about addressing the underlying reason for being overweight in the first place and while it may be a simple enough improvement in understanding nutrition basics, 8 weeks is still too short to expect a complete turnaround.

But I do think there is some value in having the morbidly obese with a sob story in there because there are a lot of people out there that are very overweight where the weight gain is a manifestation of something deeper that's not just 'cos they like to eat'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, which guy was this if you don't mind me asking? I always wondered do people keep it up. I see a couple have FB pages and they are keeping it up and from looking at this years show you can see last years leaders seem to be staying on track.

Out of respect, I'd rather not say. It was a good few years back though...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Aprilanon

I noticed that shopkeeper Paul's Mammy was nowhere to be seen in the audience last night......I don't think we've seen her since the night he said how he was feeling in fact.
    I don't think she was too impressed with him talking about his emotions, I think well done to him for saying it out.
    I find the difference in his face is amazing - he was very very pudgy in the face in the first week/circle of truth episode.

Out of respect, I'd rather not say. It was a good few years back though...

Fair enough, cheers

Aprilanon wrote: »
    I noticed that shopkeeper Paul's Mammy was nowhere to be seen in the audience last night......I don't think we've seen her since the night he said how he was feeling in fact.

I thought that too, maybe she had a bee in her bonnet about how she was portrayed on the show?

Then again she probably couldn't leave the businesses to travel to RTE, someone had to micro manage everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    I thought that too, maybe she had a bee in her bonnet about how she was portrayed on the show?

Then again she probably couldn't leave the businesses to travel to RTE, someone had to micro manage everything!

Doubt the mother is the kind to be too interested in the carry on on the show t be honest. I'd say she's old fashioned. Someone set in her ways and expects everyone to be the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I definitely agree with this.

I would say I probably almost fall into that bracket but watching the show has at least given me some inspiration to lose a bit of weight.
    I was 77kg so 12st 2lbs and am 170cm and today I am 73.8kg so 11st 6lbs, so I lost 7 pounds in about 3 weeks.
    I will be aiming for 70kg in next 4/5 weeks.

I would think a lot of people fall into this kind of category than the extremes on the show I wouldn't have minded seeing someone along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭prunudo

gmisk wrote: »

I would say I probably almost fall into that bracket but watching the show has at least given me some inspiration to lose a bit of weight.
    I was 77kg so 12st 2lbs and am 170cm and today I am 73.8kg so 11st 6lbs, so I lost 7 pounds in about 3 weeks.

I would think a lot of people fall into this kind of category than the extremes on the show I wouldn't have minded seeing someone along those lines.

Agree with the last few similar posts. I don't really follow any leaders now as they are all on the extreme end of needing weight loss.
    I'm in a similar position to yourself, albeit heavier. And while I'm conscious of being a bit over weight and eat healthly as much as possible its much harder to shift the weight when only marginally over weight.
    But then I've been hovering around this weight for years, even when I cut down on sugary food, alcohol, running or cycling have always been +/-a few kilos of my current weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

gmisk wrote: »

Well done, that's great going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

In relation to Paul's mother not being there, on the final night, again, I think it goes back to the fact that the people on the show are ordinary people, not used to the limelight.

The family and friends are called upon to say something and that might not be easy for some people.

I admire all of the participants so much for braving it out and talking so openly about difficult things.

I hope that they all keep up the good work and the path back to good health.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Cathal is a big man. He must have eaten an almighty amount of calories to reach that weight. How much do you reckon a day, 5k?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Coming back into this thread very late, but I just watched the final two episodes this evening :) Between a funeral and work etc, I didn't get a chance to catch up until now.

They all did very well imo. I was following Pamela, and have lost a similar amount of weight as her so I'm happy with that.

I'll be following the plan for the foreseeable future, some of recipies were lovely, some meh, so I'll pick and choose the good ones.

The fashion show thingy is total bull, it's a bit of craic, harmless - but their stylist needs a smack :)

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Cathal is a big man. He must have eaten an almighty amount of calories to reach that weight. How much do you reckon a day, 5k?

He was munching on takeaways pretty much every day because he wouldn't eat poor Agi's Polish food, probably chowing down 5-6000 calories a day. Wonder will he use the cookbook KT gave him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Coming back into this thread very late, but I just watched the final two episodes this evening :) Between a funeral and work etc, I didn't get a chance to catch up until now.

They all did very well imo. I was following Pamela, and have lost a similar amount of weight as her so I'm happy with that.

I'll be following the plan for the foreseeable future, some of recipies were lovely, some meh, so I'll pick and choose the good ones.

The fashion show thingy is total bull, it's a bit of craic, harmless - but their stylist needs a smack :)

Just wondering which recipes you liked? I think the fab fajitas were very nice.

happyday wrote: »
    Just wondering which recipes you liked? I think the fab fajitas were very nice.

Off the top of my head; the loaded mac and cheese is good, the simple chicken curry too. Love the bolognese, the breaded cod and wedges, the sweet chilli chicken fillets, the omlette with peppers and ricotta and the fajitas too. They are very easy to make too, in fairness to Aoife, she didn't throw in a load of weird/hard to find ingredients. :)

The snacks - the banana buns are lovely, the smoothie too.

Weetabix with blueberries is surprisingly nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Off the top of my head; the loaded mac and cheese is good, the simple chicken curry too. Love the bolognese, the breaded cod and wedges, the sweet chilli chicken fillets, the omlette with peppers and ricotta and the fajitas too. They are very easy to make too, in fairness to Aoife, she didn't throw in a load of weird/hard to find ingredients. :)

The snacks - the banana buns are lovely, the smoothie too.

Weetabix with blueberries is surprisingly nice.

Thanks Bubo. I'll try a few of these for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Advertisement