Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree very close to house, root damage?

Options
  • 09-01-2019 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Copied as unsure where to post.
    I have a very overgrown conifer tree in front of my property that started in a flowerbed in front of the house. It's now at roof level. I'm getting it cut down but have heard about risk of root damage. Could there be damage and how would I know, who would assess that?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Approx height of tree ?
    And distance from house ?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭wexpat girl

BryanF wrote: »
    Approx height of tree ?
    And distance from house ?

Roof height of a standard 2 storey house. The tree originally maybe a meter/2 from front of house. At least 14 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭onrail

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Interested in answers too.

I’m in the same situation with a conifer, it’s not quite at roof height. Also a weeping cherry tree planted right outside the bay window.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭standardg60

Slow growing conifers in general don't have a large or invasive root system and if cut to the stump they will die so I wouldn't worry too much if there is currently no sign of damage. The chance of them affecting a house foundation is minimal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement