Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian Doll [Netflix]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I do enjoy Lyonne in this, her best role to date imho

Thought she did a great job of making the character sympathetic, after being far from it early on.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,896 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thought it was brilliant and just read they pitched 3 seasons to Netflix. No idea where session 2 could go but I'll watch the **** out of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I can see why some might have not have taken an initial shine here: the characters in episode 1 are achingly ... "Bohemian New Yorkers". I think though that's the point & are meant to laugh a little at their eccentricities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Me’h, same scenario repeated. Could have been condensed. Only watched it for Lyonne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,700 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Thought it was unwatchable. Switched off after 3 episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Binged it and really enjoyed it, I'm glad they brought in the "second" character of Alan, I thought the chemistry between the two was very well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Thought it was unwatchable. Switched off after 3 episodes.

I tried to stick with it too but couldn't, just hated all the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Wow, interesting to see how people's opinions differ. Horses for courses I suppose...

I thought this was fantastic! Unnerving & dark at the beginning with plenty humour thrown in for good measure. Also didn't know how it was going to pan out throughout the series but ended well. Can't imagine how the next seasons will work though.

Main actress was excellent imo, the NY Jewish thing was definitely played up but her performance wasn't any the worse for it. Highly recommended!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Really wasn't sure after the first episode but I decided to stick with it. 6 episodes in now and I'm loving it :) Will finish it tomorrow and looking forward to seeing what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I stuck with it and wished I hadn’t bothered tbh

I abandoned it halfway through the second one. Found her very annoying and really didn't care at that point why it had all happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Just finished this now.... t’was pretty good imo.
    While I wouldn’t say it was one of the best show I’ve seen, i found it entertaining all the same. The premise was quite clever - I felt the storyline sucked me in right until the very end. The fact that there were only 8 episodes and said episodes were short in duration was a major positive - very easy to binge watch! :p
    Although the creepy scenes whereby she kept seeing herself as child kinda freaked me out a bit.....
    , for the most part it was an easy watch.

Did the constant reoccurrence of the Harry Nielsen song remind anyone else of the constant repetition of Sonny and Chers’ “I got you babe” in Groundhog Day? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,292 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Good I really enjoyed it. Short, snappy and easy to watch.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Excellent, I read they have I think 3 seasons in mind of a story bit weren't sure if they would get renewed, interested to see what's next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I enjoyed the first season but not really sure where they go from there. Doesn't naturally lend itself to further storylines imo. But they have said it was a three season pitch initially so who knows.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Said it in the Netflix thread on Film forum but I don't see where this story can go; both characters found their peace, their story felt complete insofar as the arcs presented to us.

Maybe they're going to follow some other characters? The cast was quite the menagerie, and even the side-characters felt like they had a lot going on - so maybe it'll be their turn to get trapped in the time loop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

pixelburp wrote: »
    Said it in the Netflix thread on Film forum but I don't see where this story can go; both characters found their peace, their story felt complete insofar as the arcs presented to us.

Maybe they're going to follow some other characters? The cast was quite the menagerie, and even the side-characters felt like they had a lot going on - so maybe it'll be their turn to get trapped in the time loop.

Whaaaat!? I'm really looking forward to the next season, where both (or newer) characters try and find out wtf is going on !smile.png
    I think the imagination behind it can easily extend the search for answers.
    I didn't think I was going to enjoy this series much- playing with time-loop, how easily Lyonne's character died (stairs?)- but despite this, left hungry for more.

Annie Murphy from Schitt's Creek joins

Any release date? Or has the second series even been filmed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Production just got underway last week
    https://tvline.com/2021/03/09/annie-murphy-russian-doll-season-2-cast-netflix/

Whether that means filming or all the stuff before filming, I don't know.
    Probably be next year now before we see it. Though the first season was short with short episodes so possibly could get it this year

• Advertisement

Had completely forgotten this was getting a season 2, and apparently it's due sometime this spring. 3 years between seasons! Some promotional pictures have arrived, meaning a trailer is probably not far behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Looking forward to seeing how this clever little gem expands and explains, or at least teases at explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I know I could just not watch it, and I always feel a little silly moaning about sequels/additional seasons, but I don't think I needed anything more beyond the first season.

Maybe their original vision was always to expand beyond the first season but I was very content with where it ended (not that I remember exactly how it wrapped up right now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Actual trailer time

Dropped today!

Good start, and I liked how unfazed the leads were with this new premise; no attempts to reset their expectations in an attempt to recapture the energy of season 1; Nadia taking things in her stride ... up until she realised who she was in the past mind you. I'd have probably quit smoking at that point - but Nadia was never an admirable protagonist either.

I was also curious who the guy who kinda looked like Sharlto Cooley was, until I realised it was Sharlto Copley 🙄😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I've only watched the first episode and ermm what to say, not impressed and hope it gets better after the brilliant S1

• Advertisement

I'm on ep5 and it's definitely not as enjoyable as season 1. They're doing something new and interesting but not as grabbing as S1 premise.

Advertisement