Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer changing roster without informing staff member

Options
  • 10-01-2019 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

So without into too much detail. I work part-time in a bar. My work roster is released every two weeks and when it was released before Christmas for this week I was rostered off yesterday. So I went about my business and ran a few errands. Mid-afternoon I get a phone call from work asking where I was, as I was rostered to work early afternoon to evening. I knew absolutely nothing about this and told them so, management had clearly changed the roster after it was posted in the staff room without informing me. I always take a picture of my roster on my phone so I know my shifts. I have the picture of the original roster, so I know the roster was changed without informing me.

Can employers do this?
    I would have thought they would have to ask the staff member if they were able to cover a shift before just changing their roster on them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Yes they can change it but assuming you don't have a company issued crystal ball then they should give you "reasonable" notice.

Have you been in work since it was changed? I.e. did you have an opportunity at any point prior to the date to check ? If so then it's on you , if not show them the photo and tell them to take a hike

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭oLoonatic

I'd imagine they'd give you the old, "its your responsibility to check the roster". I've been out of retail a long time and have pushed all the HR nonsense i used to have to know out of my head.

As far as i know they cant without notifying you. I would check with workplace relations though Locall: 1890 80 80 90. I'd also send them an email with the picture and explain that you were unaware of any changes. Covering yourself if anything happens from you not showing up to a shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Chi45

Yes they can change it but assuming you don't have a company issued crystal ball then they should give you "reasonable" notice.

Have you been in work since it was changed? I.e. did you have an opportunity at any point prior to the date to check ? If so then it's on you , if not show them the photo and tell them to take a hike

I only work part-time so not been in for a week. Received no notice except the phone call asking where I was
    oLoonatic wrote: »
    I'd imagine they'd give you the old, "its your responsibility to check the roster". I've been out of retail a long time and have pushed all the HR nonsense i used to have to know out of my head.

As far as i know they cant without notifying you. I would check with workplace relations though Locall: 1890 80 80 90. I'd also send them an email with the picture and explain that you were unaware of any changes. Covering yourself if anything happens from you not showing up to a shift.

Yep no notice at all. What is considered notice a phone call, a text or is just posting the new roster considered notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You have a picture of the original roster on your phone which proves that you checked it.

If the employer wishes to change the roster after posting it, then it would considered unreasonable to do so without notifying at least the affected employees of the change.

It doesn't really matter whether you are in or out of the workplace. An employee could check it on day 1, and then never look at it again, and not see any changes to it.

This is entirely the employer's fault for changing the roster and not informing you.

But I wouldn't get annoyed about it; it's possible it was an innocent mistake or someone else taking the piss.
    I recall working in a supermarket where every now and again someone would take it upon themselves to swap shifts with a newbie either by writing on the roster or telling the manager that they had agreed. Newbie would get in trouble until it was unravelled.

Eventually they got on top of it, but if a colleague told your manager that you had agreed to swap, you can see how this kind of thing would occur. So I'd go in at the first opportunity you have, show them the original roster, explain that's what you were working from and nobody told you it had changed.

A process in the bar has broken and they need to fix it, you haven't done anything wrong.

seamus wrote: »
    You have a picture of the original roster on your phone which proves that you checked it.

If the employer wishes to change the roster after posting it, then it would considered unreasonable to do so without notifying at least the affected employees of the change.

It doesn't really matter whether you are in or out of the workplace. An employee could check it on day 1, and then never look at it again, and not see any changes to it.

This is entirely the employer's fault for changing the roster and not informing you.

But I wouldn't get annoyed about it; it's possible it was an innocent mistake or someone else taking the piss.
    I recall working in a supermarket where every now and again someone would take it upon themselves to swap shifts with a newbie either by writing on the roster or telling the manager that they had agreed. Newbie would get in trouble until it was unravelled.

Eventually they got on top of it, but if a colleague told your manager that you had agreed to swap, you can see how this kind of thing would occur. So I'd go in at the first opportunity you have, show them the original roster, explain that's what you were working from and nobody told you it had changed.

A process in the bar has broken and they need to fix it, you haven't done anything wrong.

Yes that’s what I thought, the employer should be notifying the affected staff member before making any changes to their roster. It isn’t the staffs responsibility to be constantly checking the roster for changes once it published. If it was the was the same day with a few hours in the difference it would be online but this was a day when I was not rostered.

I was talking to a colleague today, who has worked there a good bit longer than me and management seem to have form for this type thing.

Totally disrespectful to the staff IMO !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Are you sure that you're employer changed and not another employee? Who was suppposed to work the shirt originally?

Are you sure that you're employer changed and not another employee? Who was suppposed to work the shirt originally?

I don't know who's shift it was originally, but it wasn't just changed and written over in pen. It was changed on the computer and the entire roster reprinted. It would have to have been management as the computer isn't accessible to just anybody

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I think it's just a mistake.

Ask the management to please inform you in future if they change your shift.

That's totally reasonable and if they disagree you're dealing with a simpleton.

Advertisement