Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick leave - electronic consultation / not accepting sick note

Options
  • 10-01-2019 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I’ve had a really bad dose of flu and strep throat, and had five days off work. I had no voice, a fever of 39.1, blocked sinuses etc I get free 5 electronic consultations through my health insurance, so used this instead of going to my normal GP - saving myself €70 and I didn’t have to drag myself out of bed.

My online doctor gave me a sick note via an online document wallet, which I downloaded and emailed to my supervisor. She’s refusing to accept it, asking for the original. I don’t have anything else.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Print it and hand it in

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ask the gp you had the consultation with the post you out a signed cert, they will if you ask.

I understand the supervisors position, I could probably knock up a digital cert here in 10 minutes. At least a signature can be verified

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I’ve had a really bad dose of flu and strep throat, and had five days off work. I had no voice, a fever of 39.1, blocked sinuses etc I get free 5 electronic consultations through my health insurance, so used this instead of going to my normal GP - saving myself €70 and I didn’t have to drag myself out of bed.

My online doctor gave me a sick note via an online document wallet, which I downloaded and emailed to my supervisor. She’s refusing to accept it, asking for the original. I don’t have anything else.

Suggestions?

That would annoy me to be honest

This is the modern world we are in

Not accepting it would lead me to believe she thinks you would be dishonest and create a fake cert.

I get the argument for not accepting it but again, this is now the modern world we live in.

Would just annoy me if i was in your position.

But as another poster mentioned, maybe they can post one to you or print it out yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Is your supervisor usually a by the book person, or do you think she has an issue with you, e.g. you've been sick many times and thinks you're faking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭mr_cochise

The supervisor will be accountable for accepting a poor document that is not in line with whatever the company policy is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

Its public sector.

It’s on the doctor surgery’s letterhead including contact details, lists the doctors name and registration number, and is signed. The body of the text is type written.

I had two days a year ago after being hospitalised - hospital sick note. Other than that no sick leave.

wally1990 wrote: »
    That would annoy me to be honest

This is the modern world we are in

Not accepting it would lead me to believe she thinks you would be dishonest and create a fake cert.

I get the argument for not accepting it but again, this is now the modern world we live in.

Would just annoy me if i was in your position.

That’s exactly it. Our role involves managing data submitted by applicants, mainly uploaded. So joe publics uploads can be trusted but mine can’t.

I’d always say it’s easier in the long run to work with your employer on stuff like this.
    If they want amd actual cert then get one from the GP.

It drives me nuts when employees fight over process that is in place for everyone, yes it may need chancing, but that’s not for now, for now produce the documents required and then make suggestions on changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So she wants the letter handwritten ? it’s 2019 ffs ? My GP types all mine and signs after printing. It’s on surgery letterhead, signed, stamped and therefore verifiable. It should be enough for your boss too. Next thing she’ll be complaining she cannot read the handwriting and would he use crayons and block capitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

mr_cochise wrote: »
    The supervisor will be accountable for accepting a poor document that is not in line with whatever the company policy is.

I don’t know this but can a company refuse a typed, signed, stamped and perfectly readable sick note ? Legally ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

_Brian wrote: »
    It drives me nuts when employees fight over process that is in place for everyone, yes it may need chancing, but that’s not for now, for now produce the documents required and then make suggestions on changes.

How are things ever supposed to change is no-one takes them on :confused:

And why should OP be out of pocket because their manager is a spanner :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Strumms wrote: »
    I don’t know this but can a company refuse a typed, signed, stamped and perfectly readable sick note ? Legally ?

Legally a company doesn't have to accept it at all especially relating to pay.

I’d always say it’s easier in the long run to work with your employer on stuff like this.
    If they want amd actual cert then get one from the GP.

It drives me nuts when companies stand over ridiculous policies with no explanation or reason other than that’s the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

heroics wrote: »
    It drives me nuts when companies stand over ridiculous policies with no explanation or reason other than that’s the policy.

They may trust you, but if they take it from you they can't refuse to take it from the colleague who is sick every bank holiday Tuesday.... That's why companies stick to policy. It's one rule for all and unfortunately rules are set to manage the lowest standard of employee...

TG1 wrote: »
    They may trust you, but if they take it from you they can't refuse to take it from the colleague who is sick every bank holiday Tuesday.... That's why companies stick to policy. It's one rule for all and unfortunately rules are set to manage the lowest standard of employee...

A sick cert from a doctor. On surgery headed paper with the contact details of the doctor should be accepted regardless of the format. If the company has a problem they can follow up with the doctor. Sure its even easier to scribble out a handwritten one.

As said in an earlier post, the company does not have to accept a sick note from any doctor.

mr_cochise wrote: »
    As said in an earlier post, the company does not have to accept a sick note from any doctor.

The example in the op is one of the reasons that most of my colleagues have no time for HR. Policies for the sake of policies with no evidence to back them up. The OPs company requires a sick cert from a doctor and the op has provided a sick cert.

What is the difference to the company if it’s emailed/hand written if it came from a registered doctor.
    I’d be delighted if they were just emailed to me as I wouldn’t have to scan them in to attach them to the employee record and then file the written cert.

By all means the company can ask the employee to attend their company doctor at the companies expense of they want a second opinion but that would be a bit much for a couple of days off for the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭kala85

Is the sick note from an Irish doctor with an irish address? or how do they know that it came from a video consultation?

Can these video doctors prescribe medication as well?
    Which health insurance company can I get these video consultations from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

kala85 wrote: »
    Is the sick note from an Irish doctor with an irish address? or how do they know that it came from a video consultation?

I’m with Irish Life and have this feature and it includes some prescriptions. I’ve never used it and when I injured my back I went to my usual GP for a physical examination rather than use the e-consultation.

We get health insurance with Irish life through company and video doc is included. I’ve used it a couple of times. They will fax/email prescription to The pharmacy and you then collect it.

I know our company accepts the emailed sick certs from them as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭glen123

Laya also provides a similar service:
    https://www.layahealthcare.ie/gplive/

Rennaws wrote: »
    How are things ever supposed to change is no-one takes them on :confused:

And why should OP be out of pocket because their manager is a spanner :confused:

Things change when addressed at an appropriate time.

When you’ve been out sock and your manager is asking for an original signed cert isn’t the time to get stuck into objecting to the current system.

If you wasn’t to drive change, provide the current required cert and THEN go abkut suggesting and driving change.

Things change when addressed at an appropriate time.

When you’ve been out sock and your manager is asking for an original signed cert isn’t the time to get stuck into objecting to the current system.

If you wasn’t to drive change, provide the current required cert and THEN go abkut suggesting and driving change.

They have provided a cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

They have provided a cert.

OP you've provided a cert. I would tell them the cert is the cert & if they want you to print it for a paper file when you're back in the office, grand.

I wouldn't do anything more & basically would tell them that it's the cert & you're not entertaining any further admin bullsheet in that regard. Leave the ball in their court.

If they want a meal out of it **** em, you've been objectively very reasonable & they're being arseholes.

Hope you feel better btw!

The company could simply withdraw sick pay ( if there is any)

It’s the video doc through VHI. My GP didn’t have any available appointments so put me on the ‘wait list’, but I remembered that I had online consultations as part of my health insurance. The doctor was Irish and based here - the letterhead has the GP Surgery name and address, and the doctors name and registration number on it. It wasn’t requested but I took my temperature and showed the result to the screen. I angled the screen so the doctor could see my throat. I was dizzy so driving would have been dangerous. The prescription was sent to the pharmacy which my OH collected.

It’s public sector. I have sick pay and a union membership. I printed off the cert but my supervisor was off Friday so no reaction yet.

heroics wrote: »

The company make the policy and pay the wages, simple as.

People accept a job and sign a contract agreeing to follow the policies, then start moaning when its inconvenient for them to do so..

An original actual signed copy of a sick cert is very much the industry standard.. I think electronic versions if correctly done would be a great idea, but there is a time to push changes in policy, when your breeching one isnt the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Op, why didn't you just print it out on a colour printer and hand it in? Sure she could have asked to see an ink stamp or signature, but there's a good chance she wouldn't have bothered.

This thread is obviously a glimpse into the outdated and inefficient public sector mindset..

Meanwhile in the the rest of the world, a receipt for an online consultation and a cert from an online doctor is perfectly acceptable.

That's the way the world works these days.

Many employees would get free online consultations with health insurance provided by their employer. It would be a bit rich if they then refused to accept them.

• Advertisement

This thread is obviously a glimpse into the outdated and inefficient public sector mindset..

Meanwhile in the the rest of the world, a receipt for an online consultation and a cert from an online doctor is perfectly acceptable.

That's the way the world works these days.

Many employees would get free online consultations with health insurance provided by their employer. It would be a bit rich if they then refused to accept them.

My employer (IT multinational) provide health insurance with this option but won't accept the certs from the service.

Really annoying thing is that most of the managers don't even forward the certs to HR, and just stick them in the shredder once handed in by their team members as all they have to do is tick an option on a HR web form that they received a cert when the employee returned to work.
    At least some of them shred them. There was one manager who left and a load of certs going back years for different staff were found in their locker.

Advertisement