Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick leave - electronic consultation / not accepting sick note

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

DubInMeath wrote: »
    My employer (IT multinational) provide health insurance with this option but won't accept the certs from the service.

That’s nuts.

I also work for an IT multinational and don’t even ask for them unless I have doubts about an employee.

I haven’t been asked for one in about 15 years and I have a chronic illness.

We would accept electronic receipts without issue.

Rennaws wrote: »
    That’s nuts.

I also work for an IT multinational and don’t even ask for them unless I have doubts about an employee.

I haven’t been asked for one in about 15 years and I have a chronic illness.

Can totally depend on the manager. I had a serious accident and was out for 8 weeks and wasn't asked for one on my return, but my manager was one of the more useful ones.

Then again one of the managers told a customer complaining about the length of time an issue was taking to be resolved that the reason for the delay was that the assigned support engineer had died and the case slipped between the cracks at that difficult time etc.

Worked for about two years until when under a different manager the same engineer was assigned a case to the same customer, the fallout is still talked about.

Ah ok.

Every company has a few of them unfortunately..

Anyone refusing a digital cert for a one off absence is either a bit of a Hitler or a relic of a bygone era.

Even the banks, as backward as they are, will accept documents signed digitally.

Rennaws wrote: »
    Ah ok.

Every company has a few of them unfortunately..

Anyone refusing a digital cert for a one off absence is either a bit of a Hitler or a relic of a bygone era.

Even the banks, as backward as they are, will accept documents signed digitally.

Thing is it's the company that won't accept them.

The manager is supposed to forward the (acceptable) cert that is received, but can get away with just clicking option on a HR form that they received the cert, but there doesn't seem to be any follow up on it from HR.

Do find that some technology companies are often the most resistant to change in ocertain areas and a lot of this can be due to management. My previous company (Irish firm) wouldn't let anyone work from home for example despite it resulting in most of the most talented staff leaving as soon as they could for companies that offered this among their benefits package.

I suppose there will always be companies, and managers, that are slow to adapt and take on change.

But it’s beyond nuts that a company would provide GP consultations, albeit indirectly, and then refuse to accept sick notes from those consultations, instead forcing you to take more time out and pay a different doctor €60 for the sake of a hand written note just to backup the previous note.

The unnecessary cost is bad enough but the lack of trust would piss me off tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

All certs I collect during the year are audited against attendance records.

All MUST be originals and have a physical original signature by doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

Printed off electronic cert and left it on supervisors desk. Manager happened to be at my desk asking how I was feeling when supervisor came over, and I was talking through issues I had getting into GP. He was recommending Video Doc, supervisor started turning puce, so I said “Well funny you should say that because that’s exactly what I did”.
    Nothing furthers been said.

Printed off electronic cert and left it on supervisors desk. Manager happened to be at my desk asking how I was feeling when supervisor came over, and I was talking through issues I had getting into GP. He was recommending Video Doc, supervisor started turning puce, so I said “Well funny you should say that because that’s exactly what I did”.

So just your supervisor being a bit dickish?

Might want to clarify by email with your manager what is and isn't acceptable for any future instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

Good Managers are generally sensible reasonable people, even if your direct boss is not, usually sense prevails if situations like this are escalated.

I'd leave it there now & not make any more of it.

Hope you're better!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

My online doctor gave me a sick note via an online document wallet, which I downloaded and emailed to my supervisor. She’s refusing to accept it, asking for the original. I don’t have anything else.

Suggestions?

What business is it of your supervisor what your illness is or what the cert looks like ?

Deal with your HR Division directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

STB. wrote:
    What business is it of your supervisor what your illness is or what the cert looks like ?

Did you read anything past the first post???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Did you read anything past the first post???

Yes.

Do you have a point ?

Advertisement