Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2019

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Petra vs Naomi, dream final! Can't decide who I want to win, it's a win win for me.

As expected, Nadal getting a tough match here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Nah, I would agree if Djokovic was in his best form but he's not.

Nadal is in the best HC form of his life here.

4 sets at best for Djokovic (losing I mean)

He played 3 Australian journeymen, a man serving at 27% first serves in in the first 2 sets, and 2 kids burnt out from long matches, not yet at the level to contend over 2 full weeks.

Nadal has not been tested. On Sunday he will be.

Djokovic had far tougher matches in the third and fourth round, and it is also obvious he is conserving energy.

This has to be the weakest era we’ve ever had in men’s tennis. Two lads, way past their best, still cruising their way to the final.

Djokovic generally has Nadal’s number away from clay. It will be a very close match. Nadal will not be steamrolling him. And if it goes to 5 sets, there’s always that question of Nadal’s injuries resurfacing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Djokovic is not in the final yet lads! I have been far from impressed by him so far, looked sloppy at times, but as is generally the case with Djokovic, he tends to peak at the right times. Saying that, he has lost 3 of his last finals (Pairs, ATP, Doha) so that might play on his mind if he does get there.

Djokovic is not in the final yet lads! I have been far from impressed by him so far, looked sloppy at times, but as is generally the case with Djokovic, he tends to peak at the right times. Saying that, he has lost 3 of his last finals (Pairs, ATP, Doha) so that might play on his mind if he does get there.

His loss to Ceccinato didn’t play on his mind come SW19 a few weeks later.

Djokovic was play acting in the fourth round. There was nothing wrong with him. Just pure mind games.

He’ll win tomorrow convincingly, and will be ready to rock come Sunday.

Muay Thai wrote: »
    As I predicted after the Federer match, Nadal would easily destroy Tsitsipas in straight sets in the semi final.

As I also said about people talking about "changing of the guard", what morons. Tsitsipas beat a 37 year old Federer and people say it's "changing of the guard". Federer isn't even the guard whatever that is. He is 37 and 13 years past his best. People are just so needy thst they want these little dramatic moments so badly that fail to engage their brains.

To be fair, after Federer beat Sampras, he lost to Henman in the next round.

Only in a few years will we know the significance of Tsitsipas’s win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Tsitsipas looking like he couldn't give a **** there in that last set. Shades of Kyrgios. I expected better of him mentally TBH.

On the other hand I suppose you could have most positive mentality in the world until you come up against Nadal. He just breaks guys. A nightmare incarnate on a tennis court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Tsitsipas beat a 37 year old Federer

And that match was hella close too. A point here or there and Fed would have had it for sure. Can't believe how people got so hype over that win.
    Chivito550 wrote: »
    To be fair, after Federer beat Sampras, he lost to Henman in the next round.

TIM HENMAN was, nay, IS a legend and there was no shame in losing to him! (I'm actually serious, Tim was class. He was just born a little too late :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭josip

As I predicted after the Federer match, Nadal would easily destroy Tsitsipas in straight sets in the semi final.

As I also said about people talking about "changing of the guard", what morons. Tsitsipas beat a 37 year old Federer and people say it's "changing of the guard". Federer isn't even the guard whatever that is. He is 37 and 13 years past his best. People are just so needy thst they want these little dramatic moments so badly that fail to engage their brains.

Nadal himself is 8 or 9 years past his best and this "new guard" can't even win a set :rolleyes:

Nadal was already a multiple slam winner at Tsitsipas' age.

Sorry Muay Thai, where did you predict this?
    You've 2 posts, both of them today.
    Am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

He played 3 Australian journeymen, a man serving at 27% first serves in in the first 2 sets, and 2 kids burnt out from long matches, not yet at the level to contend over 2 full weeks.

Nadal has not been tested. On Sunday he will be.

Djokovic had far tougher matches in the third and fourth round, and it is also obvious he is conserving energy.

This has to be the weakest era we’ve ever had in men’s tennis. Two lads, way past their best, still cruising their way to the final.

Djokovic generally has Nadal’s number away from clay. It will be a very close match. Nadal will not be steamrolling him. And if it goes to 5 sets, there’s always that question of Nadal’s injuries resurfacing.

I hope you're right, lets see if Djokovic can get past Pouille tho!!
    :)

I hope you're right, lets see if Djokovic can get past Pouille tho!!
    :)

1/16 to win tomorrow. If you are worried then put money on Pouille at 66/1.

• Advertisement

1/16 to win tomorrow. If you are worried then put money on Pouille at 66/1.

Not worried ... just saying ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm a massive Rafa fan, but he wasn't able to play 3 weeks ago, no?

Mad Ted.

The Nadal beast rolls on.

He does look in some form.

Hasn't dropped a set and he's in the final.

The change to his serve is pretty big - it's a real weapon right now.
    Nadal won 100% of the first serves he landed in the first set, backing that up with a strong 63% on his second serve

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/46985669

his matches have been getting shorter lol

Nadal's route to the final

Round Opponent Time
    First James Duckworth 6-4 6-3 7-5 2hrs 57
    Second Matthew Ebden 6-3 6-2 6-2 1hr 56
    Third Alex de Minaur 6-1 6-2 6-4 2hrs 22
    Fourth Tomas Berdych 6-0 6-1 7-6 (7-4) 2hrs 05
    Quarters Frances Tiafoe 6-3 6-4 6-2 1hr 47
    Semi Stefanos Tsitsipas 6-2 6-4 6-0 1hr 46

SlickRic wrote: »

Mad Ted.

Precaution.

Has paid dividends.

glasso wrote: »
    The Nadal beast rolls on.

He does look in some form.

The change to his serve is pretty big - it's a real weapon right now.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/46985669

100% 1st serve!! mental ... usually ~70% is a good sign of a set win...

100% 1st serve!! mental ... usually ~70% is a good sign of a set win...

well he did win it 6-2 so not a lot of service games due to the breaks but still.

SlickRic wrote: »

Mad Ted.

well he was out for ages coming back from injury (from October last year). he was obviously practising. that 3 weeks thing means nothing tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Just watching highlights of Osaka sf win. As if there was any doubt, but she is the real deal in terms of having all the shots and great mental strength. Thought last year it might be Sabalenka but Osaka definitely a special talent I think. Kvitová playing very well but I see Osaka taking it, probably in 3 sets.

Just watching highlights of Osaka sf win. As if there was any doubt, but she is the real deal in terms of having all the shots and great mental strength. Thought last year it might be Sabalenka but Osaka definitely a special talent I think. Kvitová playing very well but I see Osaka taking it, probably in 3 sets.

didn't see the game but apparently the quality was very high in terms of ratio of winners to unforced errors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

glasso wrote: »
    didn't see the game but apparently the quality was very high in terms of ratio of winners to unforced errors.

Didn’t see final stats but was high quality for sure. It’s Osaka temperament that catches my eye, though. Potential 3rd set wobble after being in control at 4-3 30-40, ace and then serves it out. Finished match with ace too, 15th in all. Second serve a possible weakness if you want to quibble, otherwise looks to have it all. Best to emerge in women’s game for years I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Nah, I would agree if Djokovic was in his best form but he's not.

Nadal is in the best HC form of his life here.

4 sets at best for Djokovic (losing I mean)

Hmm..we have at least twice seen Federer run through to a slam final without dropping serve and looking unplayable, before hitting a Djokovic shaped crash barrier in the final.
    Djokovic may not be looking amazing, and Nadal seems to have gotten an Isner type serve from Santa, but he has played no none of note as yet. he will have a lot harder job hitting a 1-2 serve/put away combo when he is picking service returns off his shoelaces.

Djokovic has to get to the final yet, of course...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

How many times do you plan to re-post that comment FFS?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

lostcat wrote: »
    Hmm..we have at least twice seen Federer run through to a slam final without dropping serve and looking unplayable, before hitting a Djokovic shaped crash barrier in the final.
    Djokovic may not be looking amazing, and Nadal seems to have gotten an Isner type serve from Santa, but he has played no none of note as yet. he will have a lot harder job hitting a 1-2 serve/put away combo when he is picking service returns off his shoelaces.

Djokovic has to get to the final yet, of course...

Well if Nadal had a better serve at Wimbledon he would of beat Novak out the gate. Now that Nadal has a better serve I'd expect him to win tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Scottish Jodi

Pouille has been serving well, especially in the Raonic match plus I think he has the shots to trouble Novak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Well if Nadal had a better serve at Wimbledon he would of beat Novak out the gate. Now that Nadal has a better serve I'd expect him to win tbh.
    Ya, I actually re-watched that match in its entirety on YouTube recently (it was a quiet weekend on the social front!), and it was obvious that it was the serve that seperated the players that day. Djokovic's serve was much superior and saved him on numerous occasions. Nadal, however, had the upper hand in most of the rallies. If Nadals serve is in anyway effective against Djokovic (provided he makes it to the final), he will have the edge I'd say

Ya, I actually re-watched that match in its entirety on YouTube recently (it was a quiet weekend on the social front!), and it was obvious that it was the serve that seperated the players that day. Djokovic's serve was much superior and saved him on numerous occasions. Nadal, however, had the upper hand in most of the rallies. If Nadals serve is in anyway effective against Djokovic (provided he makes it to the final), he will have the edge I'd say

Nadals serve still isn't as good as Federers was a couple of years ago, and Djpkovic broke that a sufficient number of times to beat him....
    the only doubt I have is if Nadal has changed his service motion so much that Djokovic takes too long to start to read it...but I assume he has a guy on the video analysis

Nadals serve still isn't as good as Federers was a couple of years ago, and Djpkovic broke that a sufficient number of times to beat him....
    the only doubt I have is if Nadal has changed his service motion so much that Djokovic takes too long to start to read it...but I assume he has a guy on the video analysis

Being able to read something and actually stopping it are two different things. Nadal's serve couldn't really get any worse than what it was, any improvement and he should be more dominant on his own service games. If that's the case, he can compete and beat Novak. The service game of both has been the difference between the two of late, Nadal has been the more dominant and controlling player in their rallies for the most part.

If Federer was being broke by Novak, it wasn't solely due to his serve. Your analogy is very weak tbh

Ye Nadal's serve was so weak that game. Gave Djokovic a chance to get in and break nearly every time. Whereas Novak's serve was so good in that game, it shows how strong Nadal's returning and shot making were in rallies to break him back so much. If he added the serve to his game, life would be so much easier for Nadal. And hopefully he has, and that this isn't a false dawn

If Federer was being broke by Novak, it wasn't solely due to his serve. Your analogy is very weak tbh

I don't understand this? Someones serve being broken isn't to do with their serve? I agree insofar as its as much to do with the guy on the other side of the net, who in Djokovic is the best returner of serve there has been in the game in a very long time, no matter who is serving.

Djokovic generally beats Nadal (and Federer) of late because he plays the big points better.

Nadal has looked very good, on serve and otherwise, so far. but he has played no one, really. If Djokovic makes the final, I expect a very close match and I think I expect Djokovic to win.

we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves at the moment in any case

• Advertisement

I don't understand this? Someones serve being broken isn't to do with their serve? I agree insofar as its as much to do with the guy on the other side of the net, who in Djokovic is the best returner of serve there has been in the game in a very long time, no matter who is serving.

Djokovic generally beats Nadal (and Federer) of late because he plays the big points better.

Nadal has looked very good, on serve and otherwise, so far. but he has played no one, really. If Djokovic makes the final, I expect a very close match and I think I expect Djokovic to win.

we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves at the moment in any case

You make the assumption that because Federer's serve is better than Nadal's serve, that Djokovic then must also be able to break Nadal if he can break Federer. This is a ridiculous point as there are more variables involved. Nadal on recent meeting's with Novak has looked just as good as him, if not better, apart from the serve. Federer was losing out and being broken by Novak due to other weaknesses in his game, not necessarily having a weak serve in and of itself

Advertisement