Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,132 ✭✭✭✭walshb

jr86 wrote: »
    When all is said and done Federer might end up on the least amount of slams of the big 3

Big ask, if you ask me!

They need to win 11 slams between them for this to possibly happen...

Nole to win 7 more to overtake Roger and Nadal to win 4 more to overtake Roger

The guts of three years that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Nadal could win the French until he's 40 so a few more years of Djokovic on top with little to challenge him and I think it's actually possible.

Federer struggled from the age these two are hitting now but he had proper competition, unless some genuine players emerge they could continue to dominate for another 3 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Nadal could win the French until he's 40 so a few more years of Djokovic on top with little to challenge him and I think it's actually possible.

Federer struggled from the age these two are hitting now but he had proper competition, unless some genuine players emerge they could continue to dominate for another 3 years or so.

Quite possible, but on the assumption he's able to walk at that age...

The guy is talented, no doubt, but he's the epitome of what hard work and determination can get you. He punishes his body that much that he was severely injuring it in his mid 20's - while admirable to push himself to set records, shudder to think of the significant, permanent damage he's doing to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

Can't be anything else other than a Djokovic supporter.
    But I don't mind that much if he loses to this version of Nadal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

That was the point I was making earlier in the week. Outside of Djokovic and Nadal its just completely random nowadays, very like the WTA has been for a while now

When they decline fully/retire goodness knows what state the ATP will be in

I expect ND to get his AO record back on Sunday and move to within 5 slams of Federer. very achievable I think, given I can't see Federer winning another

When all is said and done Federer might end up on the least amount of slams of the big 3

You say random like the wta as if that is a bad thing. I accept there has been a tendency on the women’s side for a lot of top seeds to under perform but last years slams were very good quality and the current one has been top notch too. Not random, just very competitive and the two best players, playing high level, will contest the final. For those who follow it, the wta looks in good shape at moment.

Also I wonder how unusual it should be for a 28 seed to reach a sf. Shouldn’t be that big a deal really, I would think. Perhaps that’s the way having a big 4 in place for so long tended to skewer things. Certainly when I grew up watching tennis it wasn’t in any way unusual to see outsiders have good runs and even go all the way - becker, Ivanisevic at Wimbledon, Michael Chang, Gustavo Kuerten come to mind. Or Roscoe Tanner reaching Wimbledon final. These things always made it more interesting for me, though the big 4 modern rivalries have captured the imagination like nothing previously, that has to be said.

I would guess tennis will readjust after a period when they are finally gone. That’s simply what always happens. Like golf is ecstatic to have tiger back, but it lived without him while he was away and will do so again when he departs for good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I hope Nadal wins. I like Djokovic, but it makes the rivalry of the big 2 more interesting from here on in (assuming this is Federer's farewell season) if Nadal takes it on Sunday.

walshb wrote: »
    Spot on......

I think some believe the tennis to be boring.....not me. I find it ridiculously intense and grinding, but not boring-grinding....exciting/grinding!

an absolute privilege to get the opportunity to see two titans of the modern game squaring off in a GS final here when both are apparently fit and in top form.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Nope. Federer's 3 Slams after the age of 35 has put the record beyond the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,132 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nope. Federer's 3 Slams after the age of 35 has put the record beyond the other two.

Nadal wins tomorrow and he only needs two to equal...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

With another in June almost guaranteed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think one of Nadal/Djokovic will equal/beat Federer's 20, but not both.

josip wrote: »
    I think one of Nadal/Djokovic will equal/beat Federer's 20, but not both.

I think that a lot of people could see Nadal winning another 4 RG titles, unless he really breaks physically - which is totally possible.

He's the sort of stubbornly-focused guy to stay on until he did it.

Nobody has emerged to really challenge his powers on clay over 5 sets in any serious way.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭SophieLockhart

If Nadal ends up with 21 by winning say 14 French, there's no way he would be accepted as GOAT. It would be like some guy 7 feet 3 winning Wimbledon 21 times.... numbers don't always tell the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

If Nadal ends up with 21 by winning say 14 French, there's no way he would be accepted as GOAT. It would be like some guy 7 feet 3 winning Wimbledon 21 times.... numbers don't always tell the truth.

So when Fed has the most slams, slam counting is the holy grail. When he doesn't, its let's pick and choose time. Someone was only talking about this the other day on another forum, watch the goalposts for "GOAT" criteria change when Feds slam count is surpassed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

And if he has a double career grand slam?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Rod Laver lost 6 years worth of slam opportunities.

Bjorn Borg retired at 26 when just one off the record at the time. Slam counting wasn’t a thing then so he wasn’t bothered chasing a standard that was only applied retrospectively years later. He skipped the French one year to play World Team Tennis.

The top players didn’t bother with the Australian Open until the late 80s.

The court speeds varied hugely up until the turn of the century, making it almost impossible to rack up slams on every surface.

Slam counting only became a thing after Sampras passed Emerson. None of the greats of the past knew that chasing slams was needed to be determined the GOAT.

There is no such thing as the GOAT folks.

Federer, Nadal and Djokovic each have their own amazing respective records which won’t be broken.

Chill out everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

So when Fed has the most slams, slam counting is the holy grail. When he doesn't, its let's pick and choose time. Someone was only talking about this the other day on another forum, watch the goalposts for "GOAT" criteria change when Feds slam count is surpassed

Haha so true!

Knowing some of the more precious Fed fans I could see the World Tour Finals suddenly being upgraded to slam status if Nadal gets the 20 :pac:

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Rod Laver lost 6 years worth of slam opportunities.

Bjorn Borg retired at 26 when just one off the record at the time. Slam counting wasn’t a thing then so he wasn’t bothered chasing a standard that was only applied retrospectively years later. He skipped the French one year to play World Team Tennis.

The top players didn’t bother with the Australian Open until the late 80s.

The court speeds varied hugely up until the turn of the century, making it almost impossible to rack up slams on every surface.

Slam counting only became a thing after Sampras passed Emerson. None of the greats of the past knew that chasing slams was needed to be determined the GOAT.

There is no such thing as the GOAT folks.

Federer, Nadal and Djokovic each have their own amazing respective records which won’t be broken.

Chill out everyone.

Yes, I've repeatedly raised many of the above points to show how ridiculous this whole "GOAT" thing is. Others, and you specifically, refuted much of what I said, and often spent pages arguing that Federer was infact the "GOAT". Now, when it's looking very likely that his tally may be surpassed in the near future, the backtracking and goalpost moving has started

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Yes, I've repeatedly raised many of the above points to show how ridiculous this whole "GOAT" thing is. Others, and you specifically, refuted much of what I said, and often spent pages arguing that Federer was infact the "GOAT". Now, when it's looking very likely that his tally may be surpassed in the near future, the backtracking and goalpost moving has started

I haven’t engaged in GOAT talk. I have said Federer is my favorite player, and has the most beautiful playing style I’ve ever seen. I stand by both of these comments. I have never said that he is officially the GOAT as I believe there to be no such thing. I even set up a thread last year with stats to show that comparing Federer v Nadal was pointless as they each had their own areas of dominance.

You badly need to let this go.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I haven’t engaged in GOAT talk. I have said Federer is my favorite player, and has the most beautiful playing style I’ve ever seen. I stand by both of these comments. I have never said that he is officially the GOAT as I believe there to be no such thing. I even set up a thread last year with stats to show that comparing Federer v Nadal was pointless as they each had their own areas of dominance.

You badly need to let this go.

Except for all those time you argue and debate that Federer is the best in every circumstance in every thread. And the excuse making, from glandular fever to smaller rackets and wheeling out every mitigating factor under the sun when he loses. No, you've never engaged in any of this "GOAT" talk, I'll take you at your word sir!

• Advertisement

Haha so true!

Knowing some of the more precious Fed fans I could see the World Tour Finals suddenly being upgraded to slam status if Nadal gets the 20 :pac:

It is amusing watching them squirm on the menstennisforum. Only came across it the other day. Huge Federer cult on it by the looks of things, makes for entertaining reading

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Really looking forward to Osaka vs Kvitova. Hopefully a great match in store!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

Tristram wrote: »
    Really looking forward to Osaka vs Kvitova. Hopefully a great match in store!

I think on paper great match, Kvitova is playing unbelievably I can’t see her troubled.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MileyReilly

How many sets in the women's final this morning? Haven't watched much tennis before but I watched all this tournament. Is it best of 3?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

How many sets in the women's final this morning? Haven't watched much tennis before but I watched all this tournament. Is it best of 3?

Yes women don’t play Bo5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

I think on paper great match, Kvitova is playing unbelievably I can’t see her troubled.

Osaka hasn't exactly been playing badly either. Will be interesting to see if Osaka's 1st serve % is up there whether Kvitova can handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MileyReilly

Yes women don’t play Bo5

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Some tasty tennis here from both women. Most other girls on tour could learn a thing or two here.

Good first set, really warming up nicely. Someone going to have to blink first here.

• Advertisement

What a tiebreak from osaka!

Advertisement