Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automated calls claim internet connections have been ‘compromised’

• 10-01-2019 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,279 ✭✭✭✭

Just got one of these calls a few minutes ago on my landline asking me to press 1, do I need to do anything or just ignore it. 
    I know it's a scam. 

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ignore, impossible to trace the call and even if it was possible they are in India so nothing is gonna happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭eir: Kellie

Just got one of these calls a few minutes ago on my landline asking me to press 1, do I need to do anything or just ignore it. 
    I know it's a scam. 
    Hi drunkmonkey,

I am sorry to hear that you are receiving these calls. We are aware of some unsolicited calls in circulation. For more information on this please feel free to click here.

I would recommend to just ignore these calls and if you can on your handset block the number they are calling from.

~Kellie

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭deliege

We get these calls almost every weekday, sometimes twice a day, from seemingly local numbers - but many different ones so blocking them has no effect. This is very irritating and, honestly, we are considering getting rid of our landline, as these scam calls probably account for 75% of our total phone traffic at this point :(  

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,209 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'm sick to the back teeth of getting up to 4 of these calls a day on the land line.
    Different 'local' number every time.
    What is eir doing to try and stop this?

To thine own self be true

Literally just this second 'Emily' has phoned me.
    Her 5th call today.
    I'm losing the will to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,279 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are you pressing 1, it's an autodialler, don't press no Emily....did you ask her out for a bag of chips ; )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Referee's whistle beside phone.
    Once, once only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Just toy with them for a few minutes and then tell them you know it's a scam. The fella I did it too wasn't too pleased, he told me to put my manhood in my behind and hung up :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,279 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

deliege wrote:
    We get these calls almost every weekday, sometimes twice a day, from seemingly local numbers - but many different ones so blocking them has no effect. This is very irritating and, honestly, we are considering getting rid of our landline, as these scam calls probably account for 75% of our total phone traffic at this point

This is exactly what we did. Disconnect the landline, no issues since.
    Never used it anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭tphase

Literally just this second 'Emily' has phoned me.
    Her 5th call today.
    I'm losing the will to live.
    an enthusiastic blast of a pea whistle will give 'Emily' a good reason not to call back

You're all missing the point.
    Emily is a robot..otherwise I'd have given her dog's abuse by now.
    And no I'm not pressing 1 as the robot asks because I'm aware that it's a scam to put me through to a premium number.
    I've got 7 calls today.
    Again, eir I ask you what you are doing to protect your customers from this scam?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭deliege

Necro wrote: »
    Originally posted by deliege
    We get these calls almost every weekday, sometimes twice a day, from seemingly local numbers - but many different ones so blocking them has no effect. This is very irritating and, honestly, we are considering getting rid of our landline, as these scam calls probably account for 75% of our total phone traffic at this point

This is exactly what we did. Disconnect the landline, no issues since.
    Never used it anyways.
    To be honest, the only reason we have such a line is for some old family members living on the continent.... mobile calls cost is too expensive for some of them, and they're not skilled in IT so no Skype, messenger etc... :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Check if your landline handset has the option for blocking all calls except those on the whitelist.
    Nothing eir can do about it, it's the lastest biggest scam and seems to be getting used by multiple scammers 

Advertisement