Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Talk On Non Eir Router

• 10-01-2019 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭

So I have an issue with my copper landline which is being looked at thanks. In trying to identify the issue I came across broadband talk so VoIP over my FTTH. The FTTH service I have to say is unreal good. Pity about the poor quality router though that can't pump out the WiFi speeds that's coming into the house. So I changed the Eir modem for a different one Orbi RBK50 direct connected to the fibre so not an AP off the Eir modem. Now am getting the WiFi speeds I'm paying for 😀 Also don't want to use the Orbi as an AP as I'm using lots of its features that the Eir router doesn't support. So to the real question. I'd love to be able to use BB Talk service but not sure if it will work with my router. I can disable SIP ALG but not sure if that's enough for the service to work. I am not intending on using a physical handset as the Orbi doesn't have the ports for Voip but was hoping just to use mobiles and the Eir Talk app. I'm sure I'm not the first to ask but answers not obvious on your site or on boards.

Thanks

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

pmsurveys wrote: »
    So I have an issue with my copper landline which is being looked at thanks. In trying to identify the issue I came across broadband talk so VoIP over my FTTH. The FTTH service I have to say is unreal good. Pity about the poor quality router though that can't pump out the WiFi speeds that's coming into the house. So I changed the Eir modem for a different one Orbi RBK50 direct connected to the fibre so not an AP off the Eir modem. Now am getting the WiFi speeds I'm paying for 😀 Also don't want to use the Orbi as an AP as I'm using lots of its features that the Eir router doesn't support. So to the real question. I'd love to be able to use BB Talk service but not sure if it will work with my router. I can disable SIP ALG but not sure if that's enough for the service to work. I am not intending on using a physical handset as the Orbi doesn't have the ports for Voip but was hoping just to use mobiles and the Eir Talk app. I'm sure I'm not the first to ask but answers not obvious on your site or on boards.

Thanks

Paul
    Anyone going to try and answer this for me. Have just been told that my analogue line fault is not on the line but in the house !!! even though no-one can get in my gate to check the cable outside without me being there! It'll also cost e €150 if the fault is inside so really would switch to broadband talk instead if the above can work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Anyone going to try and answer this for me. Have just been told that my analogue line fault is not on the line but in the house !!! even though no-one can get in my gate to check the cable outside without me being there! It'll also cost e €150 if the fault is inside so really would switch to broadband talk instead if the above can work.

Should work for the eir Talk app. If it does not work you could try plugging the WAN of the F2000 into a LAN port of the Orbi thought tbh I don't think you'll need to do that.

Edit:
    You'll probably have to put the F2000 back in place so they can transfer you over but once that is done you can get rid of it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

Should work for the eir Talk app. If it does not work you could try plugging the WAN of the F2000 into a LAN port of the Orbi thought tbh I don't think you'll need to do that.

Edit:
    You'll probably have to put the F2000 back in place so they can transfer you over but once that is done you can get rid of it again.

That was my thought exactly. Nearly got through to a mentor today on support but awaiting a callback. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭eir: Kellie

Thanks

Paul
    Hi there pmsurveys,

I am sorry about the delay in replying to your query.

Unfortunately, I am unable to deal with such technical queries via this channel. I would suggest that you contact a member of our Technical Support via webchat here, they will be able to assist you further with this.

~Kellie

Advertisement