Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Waste Collection Options - Celbridge January 2019?

Options
  • 10-01-2019 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

As far as I can see the following are available:
    AES
    Thorntons
    Greyhound

Are there any others I've missed? Currently using Thorntons but am considering moving to Greyhound. Can anyone share their experience with Greyhound please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,900 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Panda possibly. Avoid AES like the plague

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

L1011 wrote: »
    Avoid AES like the plague

why do you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Riskymove wrote: »
    why do you say that?

I second it. They were a useless shower when I was with them.

If anyone is thinking of joining Thorntons let me know, there's €25 lift credit in it for both of us!

Worst customer service outside of the telecoms sector, general incompetence and a penalty fee when you leave even at the end of contract

no real specifics given so can't really engage on that

I have been with AES since the Council finished bin collection and apart from a bin not being collected once or twice I have had no problems, so I was interested in why there was such a strong statement about them

• Advertisement

I changed plans after they took over from the council. Was meant to get a compost and a glass bin. Compost bin arrived about a month later after much badgering, glass bin never came

Got sent the wrong stickers for my bins. Twice. One wrong set, one right set, another wrong set in that order

There seemed to be two classes of call centre staff - friendly but useless or rude and vaguely sensible.

Collections were missed, re-collections promised and failed.

Bins sometimes not collected on a whim about what was allowed in each type.

Went to Thorntons as soon as was possible, haven't had an issue since. Glass bin would be nice but its not like AES ever provided their promised one!

L1011 wrote: »
    Went to Thorntons as soon as was possible, haven't had an issue since. Glass bin would be nice but its not like AES ever provided their promised one!

ok thanks for the detail

I have had no such issues

in fact AES provided a glass bin (a small hand held bin) at first but in recent years have upgraded to a small wheelie and it is handy to have rather than need to go to banks

They don't send stickers anymore

so we have 4 bins now

in the years I am with them they failed to collect twice and sent out a truck to collect as soon as they could

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Anyone got experience of Greyhound?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Just to add that the council are planning a Civic Amenity Centre (large recycling and waste drop off point) just past the Applegreen service station. It will be going out to public consultation this year. So you can bring your waste and recyclables (for a fee) when it is built and you don't necessarily need to use a waste contractor then- just highlighting it as an option.

baaba maal wrote: »
    Just to add that the council are planning a Civic Amenity Centre (large recycling and waste drop off point) just past the Applegreen service station. It will be going out to public consultation this year. So you can bring your waste and recyclables (for a fee) when it is built and you don't necessarily need to use a waste contractor then- just highlighting it as an option.

Thanks for the info baaba maal, any other details on this? Is that the Applegreen on the Dublin road or at the N4 exit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Sorry MM

the N4 road, KCC owns some land just past the Applegreen. It will offer the same sort of service as the other two CASs in the county- Silliot Hill, Kilcullen and Gallows Hill, Athy:
    http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/Environment/Recycle/Recyclingcentres/

Thanks for the updated info baaba maal, its very much appreciated!

OP here - It looks like I'll be sticking with Thorntons for the time being, I've read too many bad google reviews of Greyhound.

261 reviews as of today with an average of 1.9 out of 5 stars:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

OP here - It looks like I'll be sticking with Thorntons for the time being, I've read too many bad google reviews of Greyhound.

261 reviews as of today with an average of 1.9 out of 5 stars:eek:

I'm with Thorntons and happy with them, I will say though that mostly points to the major fallacy of internet reviews for services like bins. People expect their bins done without hassle but they aren't going to rush online to praise the binmen, so the vast majority of the time people are writing those reviews after a problem which is going to skew the ratings more to the negative side than is warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I'm with Thorntons and happy with them, I will say though that mostly points to the major fallacy of internet reviews for services like bins. People expect their bins done without hassle but they aren't going to rush online to praise the binmen, so the vast majority of the time people are writing those reviews after a problem which is going to skew the ratings more to the negative side than is warranted.

its the same with most reviews. The way to judge is to get an overall idea about what problems there are....and the volume. More complaints mean more problems!!!

Riskymove wrote: »
    I have been with AES since the Council finished bin collection and apart from a bin not being collected once or twice I have had no problems, so I was interested in why there was such a strong statement about them

given that I recently said the above I thought I'd update.

My bin (and those of 2 others in our cul de sac) was not collected on Monday

I rang and reported the incident. The woman said she would log it and get it sorted.

I got a call back the next day to say the bins had been collected

Advertisement