Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viburnum disease?

Options
  • 10-01-2019 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭

I have noticed over the last few months the north east facing side of one of my viburnum tinus shrubs has started to become unhealthy and some branches have died back quite dramatically. There is a branch from a cornus mas shrub growing into this side and an erysimum bowles mauve shrub also quite close to this side that may have contributed to making this side of the vibunum more prone to disease. I think it might be a type of rust disease but have posted this linked video of it in case anyone can recognise what the problem actually is. If someone has experience with this problem I am wondering is it best to just leave the plant alone and hope the healthy part will allow the entire plant to recover naturally or would it be better to cut out the diseased branches?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm in no way an expert, but to me that looks like something might be damaging the roots. Either that, or it was hit by a spray of herbicide on one side only, but I'd be more inclined to check the roots for parasites, rot, etc. Are the leaves "just" burnt-looking, or do they have holes? If the latter, if could be a viburnum beetle. (see here)

Again, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

New Home wrote: »
    I'm in no way an expert, but to me that looks like something might be damaging the roots. Either that, or it was hit by a spray of herbicide on one side only, but I'd be more inclined to check the roots for parasites, rot, etc. Are the leaves "just" burnt-looking, or do they have holes? If the latter, if could be a viburnum beetle. (see here)

Again, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along soon.

Thanks for the suggestions. There is no sign of any holes in the leaves and they are just burnt-looking. There has been no herbicide near the plant since a few years ago when the neighbor allowed some drift over the fence when he was spraying his dock leaves and nettles and that was before any sign of any damage on the young shrub. The plants to the fence side also have showed no sign of poor health so I don't think it was herbicide. I might try dig around the roots to check for parasites but I'd be afraid I might damage the healthy part of the plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭standardg60

Looks like a classic case of exposure to me, most likely caused by the severe weather in March. It can take this long for the signs to show.
    I'd leave it for now to help protect the healthy part, end of April remove the dead stems and trim back the rest and hopefully it will fill back in.

Advertisement