Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Income protection deferred period

• 10-01-2019 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

I have full pay for sick leave for 13 weeks, followed by half pay for another 13 weeks. I am currently looking at income protection plans and wondering whether I should go for a deferred period of 13 weeks or 26 weeks? After 13 weeks I will still have half pay from my employer which I understand will be subtracted from the amount the insurer pays out anyway? But obviously if I go for a 26 week period I will have 13 weeks of only half pay (before it bumps up to 75% pay). Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

There is usually a very large difference in the premium, the longer the deferred period the cheaper it is. Would you have savings to cover the half pay for 13 weeks?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You can effect cover to give you exactly what you need i.e. €XYZ d13 and then €abc d26.

No point in paying for the lot d13, as it wouldn't pay out if you have sick pay.

p.s. Does your employer have a group scheme of any sort?

Advertisement