Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cinema opening date

Options
  • 11-01-2019 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Any idea when the the new cinema on the old mart site is opening? Hopefully it has a better selection of films than the current cinema. Some decent films out this week and I have to go to Carlow or Waterford to see them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sanjose1

I heard march but not sure. Im the same, traveling to Carlow to see Laurel n Hardy film, awful selection of films here as usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

There was a shortage of electricans held up progress for a while they sorted that out as you can imagine a massive amount of electrical work on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Joe Daly wrote: »
    There was a shortage of electricans held up progress for a while they sorted that out as you can imagine a massive amount of electrical work on the site.[

Passed there this morning the building seemed to be closed it looked like a lot of groundwork needs to be done out side

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

Must be getting close. Saw a “cinema fitout” company van there the other day.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'm a semi regular visitor to Kilkenny and I'm looking forward to this opening. I was always surprised Kilkenny didn't have a better cinema than it did. The one there was poor enough. I suppose Waterford and Carlow cinemas sucked in a lot of people from Kilkenny. Hopefully not anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Anyone hear news yet on an opening date?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 PooPooPooPoo

Fear not Derry Red, I PooPooPooPoo the cinema goer am in the process of finding this out for you.

To this end, I have contacted IMC Cinema Group via Electronic mail just this morning and I have asked them when will the new cinema open in Kilkenny.

When the respond to my polite communication, I shall share the opening date here for all to see.

Then we will know more and our question will be answered for all the world to see.

Have a groovy day.

PooPooPooPoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

Street lights going into the park lot this morning. A lot of 'finish touches' type work looks to be going on. Hopefully March will do a lot for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Fear not Derry Red, I PooPooPooPoo the cinema goer am in the process of finding this out for you.

To this end, I have contacted IMC Cinema Group via Electronic mail just this morning and I have asked them when will the new cinema open in Kilkenny.

When the respond to my polite communication, I shall share the opening date here for all to see.

Then we will know more and our question will be answered for all the world to see.

Have a groovy day.

PooPooPooPoo.
    Hey PooPooPooPoo ,
    Did they get back to you on when the cinema is opening?

Also heard Ben Dunne gym is going to open in the old cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Hey PooPooPooPoo ,

Is the old cinema closing? I thought i heard before it was becoming an art house cinema or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭biffontour

Hey PooPooPooPoo ,

It would be great if Ben Dunne gym opened up in Kilkenny, will bring a bit of completion to prices, was in several of his gyms in Dublin, hopefully ðŸ‘

I passed it this weekend. Looks nearly ready to go. Paving still to be done on the outside. A gym makes sense given the size of the site of the old cinema. Gyms tend to have decent floor spaces. I'd love an art house cinema in Kilkenny but not sure Kilkenny could sustain one.

Hey PooPooPooPoo ,

Hello Bowlardo, the people at IMC did not take it upon themselves to reply to PooPooPooPoo yet unfortunately. I will send them another quick message and post the result!

IMC replied and they couldn't give an open date (or month) so it might be a little while even though it looks good from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

This really looks like it should be opening soon but the lack of fanfare has me worried it could be a long time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭JoeyDoh

Any update on this lads? Looks like serious work being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Surely to go it will be open for the avengers end game

Apparently not!
    I messaged them on Facebook to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭JoeyDoh

coolisin wrote: »
    Apparently not!
    I messaged them on Facebook to ask

Did they give you a timeline at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kilkennykitten

I was talking to a guy working in the old Cinema and he says the new one should be open before the Avengers movie so fingers crossed

• Advertisement

Thats really stupid from IMC head office or whoever is running their social media channels as I asked and they told me nope, they do not see it being open in time, so I booked tickets in Carlow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

The new cinema is up on the website as a booking option.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

bertie4evr wrote: »
    The new cinema is up on the website as a booking option.

Andre Rieu, 27th July 2019.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Late notice, but opening today, showing a few films

Nothing else scheduled until July atm, so not sure if it's a full opening or just a soft launch

https://www.facebook.com/imccinemagroup/posts/1876953155742965

Few things popping up now.
    Kind of a surprise opening announcement on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭halfforward

There's only 4 of the screens opening this weekend, the rest are not ready yet.

I was in at the weekend.

Walked into screen 3 and impressed with the size of the screen, however image was only centered for dumbo.
    Do we have an info on the other screens in the building and size wise?

I hope they sort out the Aircon cause the low dialogue in the movie I could barely hear over the Fan noise.

Seats are nice, not so sure about the cover with plenty of space between rows. No booster seats for the smaller people in attendance.
    Nice to see a serious cinema like this in area.

But a €2 service charge for buying my ticket at the till was a little much.
    Very Much a soft opening anyway couple screens open, and none of the digital signage ready and wires hanging out of walls in places!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

They are showing The Goonies, that’s me in love with them already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

coolisin wrote: »

I hope they sort out the Aircon cause the low dialogue in the movie I could barely hear over the Fan noise.

I mentioned it to them at the start of pet semetary and it was then turned off.

The other issue was red lighting on the steps in the cinema reflected off the screen & gave scenes a pinkish hue.

Hoping all that'll be ironed out.

About time KK had a decent spot to catch a film.

• Advertisement

I'm looking forward to checking the place out.

Advertisement