Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer Campaign 2019 Mod warning #1682

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Daz_ wrote: »
    Have people received the stage one online questionnaire yet ? It says link to be sent by the 6th ..

No I didn't. but in saying that, when they say by the 6th at 3pm - what they usually mean is on the 6th at 3.05 :rolleyes: well at least in my experience anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

No I didn't. but in saying that, when they say by the 6th at 3pm - what they usually mean is on the 6th at 3.05 :rolleyes: well at least in my experience anyways.

Lol ok Mike good to know !

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

LouD2016 wrote: »
    You can get decent ones online. Any HEO/EO I work with used these:

https://www.jobtestprep.co.uk/about

For free online ones:
    www.graduatesfirst.com
    https://www.assessmentday.co.uk/e-tray-exercise.html

I've never heard of anyone doing a course in Kilroys College - id imagine its just a money making thing tbh
    Plenty online to give you a jist of the layout and then just make sure to practice the ones PAS will send out

Which tests from jobtestprep would be best to purchase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Newport81 wrote: »
    Which tests from jobtestprep would be best to purchase?

If you buy a subscription for 49 for 6 months, it gives you access to all their tests : ). Good value

• Registered Users Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

My laptop picked a great time to pack it in.. :/ anyone know how long it takes? Might have to rely on PC in library or something so.

• Advertisement

Stage 1 Pre-Test Information Booklet is out.

No link yet but the questionaire should take an hour to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Invitations are out for online assessment but no link to tests yet

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lateron

Can the online practice assessment be taken more than once?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭eroc79

lateron wrote: »
    Can the online practice assessment be taken more than once?

You can but you won't need to. It's a very basic practice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Any tips for the test? Can't really afford to splash out on the paid practice test websites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭Breezer25

irish_goat wrote: »
    Any tips for the test? Can't really afford to splash out on the paid practice test websites.

There are free practise tests online if you google them.

The link to the test has arrived. Wasn't expecting to get it till later

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

eroc79 wrote: »
    You can but you won't need to. It's a very basic practice.
    The familiarisation material is so basic like that 2 questions, it's almost a waste of time so there is no real way to prepare. Do many people do practise tests elsewhere or do people just wing it? I've done so many of these tests at this stage, but I still don't get high enough. Plus you don't get any you proper feedback to know what went wrong. Quite frustrating. Feels like a lottery really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

77 open 20 interdepartmental. Interdepartmental might be the wrong number I got distracted listening to her.

77 open 20 interdepartmental. Interdepartmental might be the wrong number I got distracted listening to her.

Is that the expected vacancies? Where did you hear that from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Is that the expected vacancies? Where did you hear that from?

Whoops meant to post this in the Dublin EO topic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

IIRC, this first stage (assessment) is where you are going to rate yourself on personal attributes such as:

Are you late to work? Never, sometimes or often.
    Leave the work to others? Never, sometimes or often.
    Bit of a weird loner? Never, sometimes or often.
    Do the bare minimum? Never, sometimes or often.

You have the option to give yourself top marks or something less.

This is my third campaign and I feel like my honesty may have given me a lower score, whereas someone else could portray themselves as a stellar employee and get a high score. Has anyone any thoughts on this?

I was raised to think that 'honesty is the best policy' but looking at the likes of politicians, there are many people in power who have blagged their way to the top (or close to the top).

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MedPsych

IIRC, this first stage (assessment) is where you are going to rate yourself on personal attributes such as:

This is my third campaign and I feel like my honesty may have given me a lower score, whereas someone else could portray themselves as a stellar employee and get a high score. Has anyone any thoughts on this?

I was raised to think that 'honesty is the best policy' but looking at the likes of politicians, there are many people in power who have blagged their way to the top (or close to the top).

Yeah I really am not sure what this test on its own accomplishes. Either people are too depreciating of their skills or talk themselves up way more. Some are worded tricky and no matter what answer you give it seems to look bad on you. Some things are relative to the organisation you are in. I have done the same job in two different ones and they both had very different expectations of what level of responsibility I should have for example (i.e. do I check with someone higher before making a crucial decision or just go for it on my own judgement) I am capable of either but I need to know the organisation to know which is required where and these questionnaires dont show that.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

MedPsych wrote: »
    Yeah I really am not sure what this test on its own accomplishes. Either people are too depreciating of their skills or talk themselves up way more. Some are worded tricky and no matter what answer you give it seems to look bad on you. Some things are relative to the organisation you are in. I have done the same job in two different ones and they both had very different expectations of what level of responsibility I should have for example (i.e. do I check with someone higher before making a crucial decision or just go for it on my own judgement) I am capable of either but I need to know the organisation to know which is required where and these questionnaires dont show that.

It's the job scenario that's the tricky part --- how you would respond to certain situations --- these tests are set to a formula and they are looking for people that hit certain notes... You are presented with 4 options per answer and you have to rate each option and say whether it is weak/adequate/strong etc. etc.

It's hard to know what they are looking for exactly from your response

I don't understand these questions at all. Who is ever going to admit that they are often late for work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭Breezer25

irish_goat wrote: »
    I don't understand these questions at all. Who is ever going to admit that they are often late for work?

They don't actually phrase it like that. It will be a general question about punctuality.

e.g compared to others are you more punctual, as punctual , less punctual

Breezer25 wrote: »
    They don't actually phrase it like that. It will be a general question about punctuality.

Aye but still...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

This is it...do you make yourself out to be so amazing and sound like a big headed tool that's not even considering the questions or do you make yourself out to be average and have them think you aren't strong enough for a management role.

The job scenario ones I get, but this self assessment stuff is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Breezer25 wrote: »

I was paraphrasing, keeping it concise. But you get the gist.

Here's an interesting answer from Quora:

https://www.quora.com/What-type-of-answers-are-employers-looking-for-during-a-pre-employment-assessment-test
    In any section where you have choices of Strongly Disagree, Disagree, Somewhat Disagree, Neutral, Somewhat Agree, Agree, Strongly Agree you need to be very careful.

Most people, who are answering honestly, will not choose either Strongly Disagree or Strongly Agree. Why is that? When applying for a job, we want to be seen as a person who is able to get along. Having strong feelings either for or against an idea or topic seems to be somewhat rude. We might even worry that we will appear as confrontational, aggressive, or even egotistical. Right?

So, you'll take the more passive approach. You'll choose anything BUT the Strongly Agree or Strongly Disagree. AND YOU WILL GET THAT ANSWER WRONG!

Any section that has choices ranging from Strongly Agree to Strongly Disagree needs to be seen as True or False. Ignore all the choices in-between. That's right, ignore them! Because they are wrong.

Why are they wrong? Keep in mind that the employer does not see your answers to the test, they only see the results. To get the best result you need to be seen as confident in your abilities. Any other answer other than "strongly" shows a lack of confidence, and employers don't want employees that are not sure of themselves.

Always pick 1 or 5/ Strongly Agree or Strongly Disagree. (I think there are 5 options). Food for thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I was paraphrasing, keeping it concise. But you get the gist.

Here's an interesting answer from Quora:

https://www.quora.com/What-type-of-answers-are-employers-looking-for-during-a-pre-employment-assessment-test

Always pick 1 or 5/ Strongly Agree or Strongly Disagree. (I think there are 5 options). Food for thought.

I've read the opposite in psychometric and questionnaire test books, they've said to seldom answer a question with strongly agree or disagree, unless going for a leadership role that requires decisiveness.

I've also got high scores and low scores in these questionnaires despite answering them in a similar manner so I wouldn't be surprised if the correct answer changes between competitions as the answers can be very subjective.

So it really does seem to be a lottery, not sure it's the best test to filter candidates for the next stage as it does seem.to a lottery.

Just thought I'd give my thoughts even though I'm not applying, best of luck to everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Does anyone know if you can stop & start again or do you have to complete it in 1 go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I've read the opposite in psychometric and questionnaire test books, they've said to seldom answer a question with strongly agree or disagree, unless going for a leadership role that requires decisiveness.

I have to agree with this

I had a go at the test earlier and its fairly obvious there are particular questions weighted heavily towards specific EO qualities and there are ones that are subtly linked to similarly worded questions on the next page and so on.

I imagine they'll weed out time wasters who veer towards the extreme ends of the spectrum in each case and those that answer differently to linked questions.

From previous experience - the main thing is to be honest! To a point ;)

The situational questions at the end aren't bad but bear in mind your head will potentially be fried when you get to that point.

Does anyone know if you can stop & start again or do you have to complete it in 1 go?
    I think it mentioned in the familiarisation material that you could come back to it but it shouldn't take more than an hour to complete anyway and that would be taking your time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Book an hour for yourself. Turn off the phone and just do it. Chances are you won't even need the hour.

Just tell the wife/husband/kids/pets you are not to be disturbed between X and Y on Z and get her done in one go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RioM

Same thoughts here. This time I might be giving myself gold stars for everything.

Advertisement