Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer Campaign 2019 Mod warning #1682

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Can anyone here please tell me what this mean? an example of or description would be great? TIA

"A role with a lot of fluidity"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Can anyone here please tell me what this mean? an example of or description would be great? TIA

https://blog.shrm.org/blog/going-with-the-flow

I think that sums it up pretty well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

Working in Irish Water lol

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

A role that is constantly changing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

IIRC, this first stage (assessment) is where you are going to rate yourself on personal attributes such as:

Are you late to work? Never, sometimes or often.
    Leave the work to others? Never, sometimes or often.
    Bit of a weird loner? Never, sometimes or often.
    Do the bare minimum? Never, sometimes or often.

You have the option to give yourself top marks or something less.

This is my third campaign and I feel like my honesty may have given me a lower score, whereas someone else could portray themselves as a stellar employee and get a high score. Has anyone any thoughts on this?

I was raised to think that 'honesty is the best policy' but looking at the likes of politicians, there are many people in power who have blagged their way to the top (or close to the top).

It really depends on the job

Obviously they won't ask outright are you a "weird loner" but for certain roles that involve a lot of working on your own to complete stringent tasks, admitting that you may not be outgoing or not comfortable with extensive social interaction may not be a bad answer at all.

I don't entirely agree with these personality tests other than a handy way to weed out chancers ("better than most" at everything). You wouldn't want to be answering the situational assessment question completely wrong either, however. I've done much harder situational analyses than this particular one though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Hate these type of tests, no real way to know if you’ll do well or even to practise. Much prefer when the first stage is regular aptitude testing!

Mikefitzs wrote: »

Working in Irish Water lol

Haha lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Did test there. Wasn't very conscious if it was timed as didn't see countdown. Generally in line with previous ones.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Did test there. Wasn't very conscious if it was timed as didn't see countdown. Generally in line with previous ones.

Also just completed it, fairly straightforward but impossible to know if you’ve done well or not. Depends what they’re looking for.

The test isn’t timed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 blaagirl03

Very difficult to know how to best answer them.... fine line between appearing obnoxious by answering better than everyone and not appearing confident enough by being modest....u would need a decent order of merit to have any hope in this campaign 😥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Test done. Hasn't changed in 2 years.

Just remember that you will be asked these questions further along the process so don’t lie as it will be uncovered and you’ll exit the competition.

Just a passenger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Just remember that you will be asked these questions further along the process so don’t lie as it will be uncovered and you’ll exit the competition.

What are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

What are you on about?

Probably means at interview stage

I'd be surprised if they even looked at these tests again though. Generally, personality tests and the like are just for simple filtering purposes before the next stage

Obviously weeds out the chancers and anyone who doesn't match specific criteria.

jr86 wrote: »
    Probably means at interview stage

I'd be surprised if they even looked at these tests again though. Generally, personality tests and the like are just for simple filtering purposes before the next stage

Obviously weeds out the chancers and anyone who doesn't match specific criteria.

I think majority of people get through. It's a case of giving an objective ranking to decide who's called next and in what order .

What are you on about?

They will ask you the same questions at interview (not all of them) just worded differently. You need to be consistent with your answers. Info given to me from friend who saw her file on the interviewers desk.

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭yessiryes

Finished it there. Decided to give myself top marks for everything pretty much! If I don't then nobody else will :D Had a lot of I don't mind in the what my job must include section though...not sure if that is good or bad!

They will ask you the same questions at interview (not all of them) just worded differently. You need to be consistent with your answers. Info given to me from friend who saw her file on the interviewers desk.

They will of course ask a lot of similar questions at interview became its competency based but I dont believe PAS actually see your answers from this questionaire or even if they did what would it prove.

In one section your asked, in comparison to someone you worked or studied with, were you better than more, quite good, broadly the same, not quite as good.

There is no possible way to verify the accuracy of your response because
    1. Its your Opinion &
    2. Its about people YOU worked or studied with (which is also subject to your opinion of them)

I'm not saying your responses don't matter or that over-selling yourself is a good ideas. I'm just saying I wouldn't be overly concerned with your responses.

(Except for the scenario's, because if they did see your answers they could possible ask you to justify why would gave a particular answer 'good' or 'Bad' etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Did anyone notice a lack of 'excellent' responses in relation to the situational judgement? And a lot of adequate responses?

I’d also imagine even if you did the exact same test again the chances of you answering exactly the same are probably slim. Even the kind of day you’re having would probably impact on your answers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭eroc79

Vologda69 wrote: »
    Did anyone notice a lack of 'excellent' responses in relation to the situational judgement? And a lot of adequate responses?
    Glad someone else felt the same way.

eroc79 wrote: »
    Glad someone else felt the same way.

I don't think any of the response were must more than adequate, and I can't say in a real scenario I would do any of them but I did decide in the end to upgrade some of my responses to good and excellent purely "making the best of a bad situation" attitude.

I have no idea if that was the right thing to do or not but I will be waiting patiently for the results to see how I got on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Looks like we were all thinking along the same lines.

Let’s hope we are right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Archermit

My biggest issue with this type of "test" is it's more can you guess how we want you to answer rather than how would you honestly react to that situation and that would depend on a lot more information being provided.

It's how feel it is, I missed out by only 2 points in the Dublin questionnaire....hopefully I can get through for this one :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

Yes i dont think i picked one excellent to be honest. Some were adequate at best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Think I gave 1 or 2 excellents.

I did have plenty of Goods though. Meh, who knows!

Anyone know when results are due out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

It said end of february at some point of the process

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

At a guess, I'd say next Friday - that would be 10 business days and seems about standard on these type of competitions...

From my very limited experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭eroc79

Sparkles:) wrote: »
    At a guess, I'd say next Friday - that would be 10 business days and seems about standard on these type of competitions...

From my very limited experience

I've been thinking the end of next week too.

Advertisement