Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoid awkward situations when someone is using your iPhone by turning on Do Not Distu

Options
  • 11-01-2019 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Most of us have probably been in that awkward situation when some one is having a FaceTime conversation on our phone and a bunch of text messages start coming in, showing who ever is using your phone all of your incoming messages. If you have an Apple Watch and realize this impending doom while someone is using your phone, no need to snatch your phone back. Just swipe up on your watch and turn on Do Not Disturb from your watch and relax.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

"Can I borrow your phone to Facetime someone?" is something that has never been said/asked of me...ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sarfarosh wrote: »
    Most of us have probably been in that awkward situation when some one is having a FaceTime conversation on our phone and a bunch of text messages start coming in, showing who ever is using your phone all of your incoming messages. If you have an Apple Watch and realize this impending doom while someone is using your phone, no need to snatch your phone back. Just swipe up on your watch and turn on Do Not Disturb from your watch and relax.

no not once

also maybe try to avoid what are clearly bitching sessions about others on your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Or just not have shady texts coming into your phone by not engaging in them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You know what, this isn't a bad tip, even if the example isn't relevant to people.

I demo app designs using my phone in work and I might not want a text from my Dad like "did you hear back from that place you applied to?" popping up while I show my boss some new feature...

I shall remember to pop on Do Not Disturb next time. :)

Dades wrote: »
    You know what, this isn't a bad tip, even if the example isn't relevant to people.

I demo app designs using my phone in work and I might not want a text from my Dad like "did you hear back from that place you applied to?" popping up while I show my boss some new feature...

I shall remember to pop on Do Not Disturb next time. :)

buy or better yet, get your company to buy a test phone. there's no way I'd use my own phone for work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭893bet

Work also if kids are on phone and you prefer whatapp notifications popping up?

there's no way I'd use my own phone for work.
    Ever?

Afaic, we don't do a whole lot of mobile development so I don't see the need for the (small) company I work for to shell out €800 for a test iPhone.

It sits on my desk in front of me, and it's not as if using it is going to wear it out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sarfarosh wrote: »

My messages are set not to display the content of the messages so im not too concerned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is turning on Do Not Disturb enough to stop notifications appearing while using the phone? I thought you had have Do Not Disturb set to "Always" instead of "While phone is locked" in Settings.

Dades wrote: »
    Ever?

Afaic, we don't do a whole lot of mobile development so I don't see the need for the (small) company I work for to shell out €800 for a test iPhone.

It sits on my desk in front of me, and it's not as if using it is going to wear it out.

yes ever. I often do presentations showing off iOS apps to c-level execs, the risk of any notification distracting them is too high. I use a test phone with Wifi turned on if I'm showing notifications otherwise it's in airplane mode. Other team members use their corporate phones (with cell connection) and I've seen them presenting and having a call from their wife during the demo completely kill off the presentation.

• Advertisement

That scenario is fair enough. Our test sessions are limited to gathering around a phone for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Get a phone with Face ID. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

quarryman wrote: »
    Get a phone with Face ID. Problem solved.

But Faceid is redundant in OP's scenario as the phone is already unlocked and notifications are coming in.

buy or better yet, get your company to buy a test phone. there's no way I'd use my own phone for work.

I’d be your worst nightmare :p I use my own personal iPhone and MacBook for work and any work supplied devices I fully configure myself with my own Apple ID etc so I have everything linked (iMessage, FaceTime etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Sarfarosh wrote:

I've never been asked nor loaned my phone for a video call. All smartphones do video calls. Why would anyone want to borrow mine?

You have invented a solution to a problem no one has imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

“Can I borrow you iPhone?”

“You can not. ”

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I've never been asked nor loaned my phone for a video call. All smartphones do video calls. Why would anyone want to borrow mine?

You have invented a solution to a problem no one has imo

Well it’s not the unusual either for example I might FaceTime or Skype a family member abroad and then the phone gets passed around to everyone on the room to say hello.

That being said I wouldn’t be too worried about hiding notifications as how often is something bad written in the first sentence.

Advertisement