Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on adjusting lies

Options
  • 11-01-2019 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭

I think I'd like to look at adjusting the lie angles on my irons and possibly wedges too. My miss is left and as such I always have to aim right of target.

I'd like to try have the lie angle increased. I'm not sure if this means to make it flatter or more upright - I mix up these terms, so I've drawn a diagram of what I'd like.

lieangle.jpg

Is there a fitter who can help me with this (I'm in north dublin)? But before I go ahead and have all my clubs bent can a fitter have me so something like hit an old 7iron that can be adjusted on the fly so I can determine what angle I like best before my own clubs are bent?

My irons are cobra forged one length. My wedges are cleveland rtx3 (cast).

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

RoadRunner wrote: »
    I think I'd like to look at adjusting the lie angles on my irons and possibly wedges too. My miss is left and as such I always have to aim right of target.

I'd like to try have the lie angle increased. I'm not sure if this means to make it flatter or more upright - I mix up these terms, so I've drawn a diagram of what I'd like.

lieangle.jpg

Is there a fitter who can help me with this (I'm in north dublin)? But before I go ahead and have all my clubs bent can a fitter have me so something like hit an old 7iron that can be adjusted on the fly so I can determine what angle I like best before my own clubs are bent?

Cheers
    Most pros/fitters should have the facilities to look at your impact & determine the correct lie for the club's. Think they use impact plates with a sticker on the bottom of the club to show it up.

I would have thought it should be fairly straightforward to find someone who could do it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Would you consider an upgrade? They look very hard to hit with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

lieangle.jpg

Cheers

The lie angle is from the back of the shaft to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

PARlance wrote: »
    Would you consider an upgrade? They look very hard to hit with.

the scores he is shooting....... he don't need no upgrade.
    he needs to be handicapped :D

Road i got this done.
    Foregolf offered me 2 options. go in and tell them what i wanted and they would adjust clubs for 50 bucks
    or go in and hit a few balls with them, different clubs, get their advice and opinions for 100 bucks.
    i went with second option, probably hit balls with every other club and took about half an hour. they adjusted all irons for me. it was a few years ago now so prices could be different now

oh bonus was they did it there and then, i hit the putting green over in killeen for about 40 minutes and they were ready for me when i was finished. found a massive improvement, much more consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

RoadRunner wrote:

RoadRunner wrote:

RoadRunner wrote:

RoadRunner wrote:

RoadRunner wrote:

RoadRunner wrote:

RoadRunner wrote:

RoadRunner wrote:

RoadRunner wrote:
    Cheers

What's your handicap might I ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

TCM wrote: »
    What's your handicap might I ask.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Road i got this done....

Perfect seve, thx.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I’m calling you Padraig from now on!! :)

You are playing some serious golf at the moment and you still want to adjust your clubs!!! Ride the wave for a while and enjoy it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

lieangle.jpg

Cheers

Shane OGrady in Blackbush, he's €90 for a lesson, but adjusts your full set on the spot. Cant recommend him highly enough, worth more than 3 average €30 lessons all day.

http://www.blackbushgolfclub.ie/the-pro-shop-2/pro-shane-ogrady/

The lie angle is from the back of the shaft to the ground.

The problem I had was if I brought my irons to two different fitters the second fitter always says the irons were out by a mile.
    Probably because he wants to look better than the other guy.
    Loft lie machines are quiet flimsy unless you can reference the grooves for the iron sitting level you could be out a degree or two. I have only seen fitters eyeball the levelness of the iron.
    So I bought my own it was well worth it, (as I'm overly obsessed with precision even though it's not necessary)
    Why do you need your lie angles checked?
    1) you've been practicing on mats off the range. Rubber mats weakens lofts on forged irons plus effects lie angle.
    2) your standing up through the hit to square the face. You might benefit from a flatter lie angle to swing around your body better.
    3) you doubt yourself because your playing so well it couldn't possibly be your swing that's making you pull the ball left.
    4) you buy a new set of irons after a fitting and even though they were specs were 2deg flat the assembler was assembling his 400th iron of the day and said 1.5deg +/- is the spec good enough.

• Advertisement

So I bought my own

I was thinking about this, does this mean you can bend your own clubs?

Yeah but be careful, make sure your irons are forged not just forged face in a cast body. I've tried to bend an old ping 1 iron it didn't budge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Oh no........

Have you checked what the factory lie angles are on the one lengths vs standard clubs - I remember hearing that DeChambeau’s clubs were very upright - would be worth a look online

Have you checked what the factory lie angles are on the one lengths vs standard clubs - I remember hearing that DeChambeau’s clubs were very upright - would be worth a look online

12 degrees upright I think I heard before

If anyone wants me, I'll be in my room....

If anyone wants me, I'll be in my room....
    Why do you need your lie angles checked?
    1) you've been practicing on mats off the range. Rubber mats weakens lofts on forged irons plus effects lie angle.
    2) your standing up through the hit to square the face. You might benefit from a flatter lie angle to swing around your body better.
    3) you doubt yourself because your playing so well it couldn't possibly be your swing that's making you pull the ball left.
    4) you buy a new set of irons after a fitting and even though they were specs were 2deg flat the assembler was assembling his 400th iron of the day and said 1.5deg +/- is the spec good enough.

Sry..

5) I have monkey arms and I feel the club toe might be slightly up. This is not much but it means I aim right (which promotes even more of a draw) Then on a right to left wind, on occasion, I have a miss that's long and left.

lieangle.jpg

Look, this isn't the biggest problem in my life and I'm still striking the ball well at the mo. However (other then improving my putting) controlling my mish1ts is where I'd like to put some attention this year.

557470190-funny-T-Rex-long-arm-Jurassic-Park1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Are you sure you don't just have the face closed and a matching out to in swing?

A lesson is probably the boring but correct course of action

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

GreeBo wrote: »
    Are you sure you don't just have the face closed and a matching out to in swing?

A lesson is probably the boring but correct course of action

he plays off 9
    he shoots under par
    he don't need lessons :D

• Advertisement

Sry..

5) I have monkey arms and I feel the club toe might be slightly up. This is not much but it means I aim right (which promotes even more of a draw) Then on a right to left wind, on occasion, I have a miss that's long and left.

lieangle.jpg

Look, this isn't the biggest problem in my life and I'm still striking the ball well at the mo. However (other then improving my putting) controlling my mish1ts is where I'd like to put some attention this year.

Loving the art work by the way - there’s an internet cartoon series in there somewhere 😉

Advertisement