Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run electrical cable to outside of shed, or inside

Options
  • 11-01-2019 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

hi folks, our builder/landscaper has run a pipe for electrical cable from our house to the end of the garden where a new shed will be built in future.

when he pours the base of the new shed, should that electrical pipe emerge from the poured base and inside the boundary of the shed walls? or should the pipe emerge outside the boundary of the shed and the electrician would drill the shed walls to run the cable inside once the walls are up.

any pros and cons to each option?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would prefer the cable to surface within the shed as it would be far neater. It would be best to pull the cable in before the trench is filled in as it is generally far more difficult to pull a cable through than would be expected.

The cable also needs to be sized correctly for the load and length of run. Also there are regulations about the minimum depth that electrical cables are buried at. A special warning tape must be buried over the cable too.

It would be best to engage an electrician at this point as builders and landscapers lack the necessary technically training and you really don’t want to do this twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

Thanks. Yes i'll be ringing our electrician to get his thoughts, before any foundations or base is poured.

The red cable piping is buried down a good 18 inches, and has electrical warning signs printed on it. Landscaper will be covering it in gravel so anyone digging in future knows there's a utility cable down there.

He has run some rope through the pipe so the electrician can tie the wiring to it in future and pull it through the red piping.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The red cable piping is buried down a good 18 inches, and has electrical warning signs printed on it.

That sounds like the right ducting alright. Personally I would have direct buried an armoured cable (such as an SWA) rather than paying for ducting.
    Landscaper will be covering it in gravel so anyone digging in future knows there's a utility cable down there.

I'm not trying to be smart, but why would someone that finds gravel when digging conclude that this indicates that there is a live cable in close proximity?
    The regulations (ET101:2008) state:

522.6.8.2 Suitable indication shall be provided above a buried cable at a distance of approximately 300 mm vertically below the completed surface, or at half the buried depth, whichever is the lesser.

Garvel does not count as "suitable indication".
    He has run some rope through the pipe so the electrician can tie the wiring to it in future and pull it through the red piping.

This may not work.
    Why not install the cable now while the landscaper is onsite? It can be connected at a future date.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Mating the posts above together ......... idea :

Leave the duct in place and pull 2 data and coax cables through it

Then go get a roll of generously sized direct-burial armoured cable and put that down the trench at an appropriate distance away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »
    I would prefer the cable to surface within the shed as it would be far neater. It would be best to pull the cable in before the trench is filled in as it is generally far more difficult to pull a cable through than would be expected.

The cable also needs to be sized correctly for the load and length of run. Also there are regulations about the minimum depth that electrical cables are buried at. A special warning tape must be buried over the cable too.

It would be best to engage an electrician at this point as builders and landscapers lack the necessary technically training and you really don’t want to do this twice.

Indeed.

I would be reluctant to connect up such an installation without having witnessed the preliminary work carried out. Obviously I would otherwise have no knowledge of depth or run of ducting; backfilling; presence and siting of warning tiles or tape etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement